pixel 1
header
Monday, July 13, 2020

Football

Terrelle Pryor wants to keep playing, says Patriots have shown interest

Terrelle Pryor

Terrelle Pryor did not appear in an NFL game last season and had a major scare when he was stabbed earlier this year, but the former Ohio State star is not giving up on his playing career.

Pryor told TMZ on Saturday that he wants to play football this season. He says his reps have been in contact with five teams, including the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers.

“Those two are very intriguing, especially with Cam (Newton) — I’ve been a big fan of him throughout the years. … And obviously Big Ben (Roethlisberger), that’s my hometown city, Pittsburgh,” Pryor said. “Those are the two teams I really want to play for.”

Pryor spoke about how injuries have held him back and pointed out that he was off to a productive start with the New York Jets in 2018 prior to tearing his groin.

“I can still play. I can still make plays and dominate, I know that,” he said. “They gotta see that I can stay healthy. That’s the only thing that’s really held me back.”

This offseason has been a complicated one for players like Pryor, as teams are not really allowed to host players for workouts because of the pandemic. That means Pryor has no real way of showing he is healthy, which was the same concern many teams had about Newton.

Pryor was stabbed by a woman in November who was later charged with attempted homicide and aggravated assault. The 31-year-old had to undergo surgery but has since fully recovered.

Pryor was with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season but was released in September and won an injury settlement. If he is, in fact, healthy, he may get an invitation to training camp on a league minimum salary.

Deandre Baker, Quinton Dunbar reportedly paid off alleged robbery victims

Deandre Baker

Deandre Baker and Quinton Dunbar paid off the alleged victims of a robbery that allegedly took place in May, according to a report.

Baker, 22, is a cornerback for the New York Giants, and Dunbar, 27, plays cornerback for the Seahawks. On May 14, Miramar Police in Florida issued arrest warrants for the players, who were accused of robbing some in attendance at a party. They were accused of stealing $7,000 in cash and two watches with a combined value of $43,000. The players were said to have lost about $70,000 at a different party a few days earlier, and then robbed some people in attendance at the May 13 party.

The New York Daily News’ Pat Leonard published a report on Friday in which he said video evidence, Instagram direct messages, and testimonies show the players paid off the alleged robbery victims.

Warrants obtained by Leonard show alleged witness Dominic Johnson served as a middleman in handling the payoff. The four alleged victims are said to have received $55,000 in the payoff on May 15, the day after the arrest warrants were issued.

Dunbar’s attorney, Michael Grieco, contacted authorities to let them know that the victims and witness recanted their testimonies against Dunbar. That took place on May 15, the same day of the alleged payoff.

“On 5/15/20, I was contacted by Michael Grieco, attorney for Dunbar, stating the victims and witness have recanted their sworn/recorded statements against Dunbar,” the warrant reads, according to the New York Daily News. “However, I also want the court to be aware that all five individuals have been threatened and have expressed extreme concern to me regarding their safety. One of the individual(s) was forced to move out of his apartment. The other was receiving texted messages containing pictures of his passport, the same passport that was stolen during the robbery.”

Instagram direct messages from Johnson’s account reportedly corroborate that there was a robbery. Video evidence also supposedly shows people coming in and out of a building, meeting by Grieco’s office, and a black bag where money is visible.

“Got them same n—-s that said they got robbed to say they didn’t … Same n—-s that got robbed I made them fix that sh-t,” Johnson reportedly wrote in an Instagram direct message, seemingly confirming the payoff.

Both Dunbar and Baker turned themselves in on May 16 and spent the night in jail before being released on bond. They each pleaded not guilty to the four counts of armed robbery with a firearm charges they faced. Baker is also being charged with four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm.

Dwayne Haskins working with Terrell Owens ahead of training camp

Dwayne Haskins

Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins is clearly committed to improving ahead of his second season, and he’s got some pretty big-name connections to make that happen.

Haskins’ personal photographer posted a picture of the quarterback working with Hall of Fame receiver Terrell Owens with training camp just around the corner.

View this post on Instagram

OGs Always Give That Wisdom

A post shared by Var Turner (@imvar) on

Not a bad connection to make, and it makes plenty of sense for a quarterback to pick the brain of one of the game’s all-time great receivers to try to better serve the needs of his own pass catchers.

Haskins had a somewhat underwhelming rookie season, tossing seven touchdowns and seven interceptions in nine appearances. He’s definitely been working very hard this offseason to ensure that year two is significantly better.

Lawyer says Deandre Baker payoff story is ‘false’ and ‘defamatory’

Deandre Baker

The lawyer for Deandre Baker says that a story alleging the New York Giants cornerback was part of a payoff plan to cover up his crime is “false” and “defamatory.”

Baker and Quinton Dunbar, who is a cornerback for the Seahawks, pleaded not guilty to armed robbery charges in May. Baker is also facing four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and pleaded not guilty to those charges.

On Friday, the New York Daily News reported that video and Instagram direct message evidence shows Dunbar’s attorney helped organize a payoff plan where the alleged victims were given $55,000 to recant their testimony about the robbery.

Baker’s attorney Bradford Cohen responded to the tweet by calling the story false. He also says they accused the alleged victims of extortion.

Baker’s attorney said in May that the cornerback was the victim of a shakedown.

The Giants have not had Baker participating in their virtual offseason. The 22-year-old was a first-round pick in 2019 and had 61 tackles as a rookie last season.