pixel 1
header
Thursday, August 22, 2019

Football

Jerry Jones: Dak Prescott is in ‘top tier’ of NFL quarterbacks

Jerry Jones

The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott have not been able to come to an agreement on a contract for the quarterback, but that’s not due to a lack of confidence from the team in Prescott’s ability.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones spoke about Prescott’s contract status. The owner said the Cowboys do not doubt what Dak can do, unlike others who say he is not worthy of being paid like a top-tier QB.

“Again, coming up on the money is really not that issue with Dak,” Jones said via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “A lot of people question whether Dak is one of the guys who need to be in the top tier. I have never questioned that. That is what this is showing you. I don’t think there is any doubt that he is at the top level of paid quarterbacks. There is no question in my mind about that. Now how we make this all fit to have the best team around him, that is what we are trying to work on.”

A report just over a week ago said Prescott turned down a contract offer from the Cowboys that would have paid him over $30 million per season. Terms of the offer, such as the ever-important issue of guaranteed money, were not reported. That was followed up by a report saying Prescott was seeking $40 million, though that report was shot down.

The Star-Telegram’s Clarence Hill Jr. says there is “no question” Prescott turned down a deal from the Cowboys for $30 million per season.

Prescott, who was taken in the fourth round by the Cowboys in 2016, is set to make just over $2 million this season, making him one of the biggest bargains in the league. However, he’s set to be a free agent after the season, and the Cowboys would prefer to work out a long-term deal with him.

Report: Antonio Brown files another grievance over helmet issue

Antonio Brown

Antonio Brown really seems to be stuck on his helmet issue and unwilling to take “no” for an answer.

On Monday, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reported that Brown filed another grievance with the NFL over his helmet. Rapoport says Brown is arguing he should have a 1-year grace period to phase out the use of his helmet.

The NFL gave players a 1-year grace period to phase out the use of banned helmets that failed to meet a safety standard in lab testing. That grace period was last season, and players like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers complained about the new helmets then. Veterans like Brady, Rodgers and Larry Fitzgerald have made the switch to new helmets to comply with safety standards agreed to by the league and players’ association.

The helmet Brown wears, Schutt Air XP Advantage, failed in testing and has been discontinued by Schutt. However, it was not banned as of last year, which is part of the basis of Brown’s argument to receive a grace period. Brown was looking to find a newer helmet of the same model and exploit a loophole in the NFL’s rule, but the NFL changed the rule. That is likely the basis of Brown’s complaint about the league arbitrarily applying rules.

Brown filed an initial grievance with the NFL over the helmet matter earlier this month. His case was turned down by an arbitrator last week.

Just how passionate is Brown over the matter? He reportedly tried to trick the Raiders with a bootleg helmet, and there was even a report saying he was refusing to play without it.

Even though Brown, who is entering his first season with Oakland, reported to the team for activities on Monday, filing another grievance shows he is still hung up on the matter.

Patriots officially activate Julian Edelman

Julian Edelman beard

Julian Edelman is back to work for the New England Patriots.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the wide receiver passed his physical and was subsequently activated from the non-football injury list.

Edelman suffered a broken thumb early in July and has been sidelined since. His recovery has gone according to schedule, and he will presumably be good to go for the season opener.

Long a favorite target of Tom Brady, Edelman caught six touchdowns last season despite being limited to 12 games. He fell just 150 yards short of his third 1,000-yard season as well.

Report: Falcons, Julio Jones hoping to seal contract extension this week

Julio Jones

Wide receiver Julio Jones has been seeking a new contract all summer, and the Atlanta Falcons have pledged to give it to him. With September looming, however, nothing has been finalized yet.

That could change this week. According to Zach Klein of WSB-TV in Atlanta, Jones’ agent, Jimmy Sexton, is flying to meet with the Falcons this week in a bid to make a deal.

GM Thomas Dimitroff promised that a new deal for Jones was “around the corner.” That was roughly a week and a half ago, but it seems the situation is nearing a resolution.

Derwin James’ foot injury stems from surgery he had in college

Los Angeles Chargers safety Derwin James is expected to miss a significant portion of the 2019 season with a foot injury, and the latest issue is one that is related to an injury he suffered in college.

James is scheduled to undergo surgery on Thursday after a screw he had inserted in his foot during his freshman season at Florida State bent, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. The screw now needs to be removed, and the procedure will cost James around 3-4 months.

James made an immediate impact with the Chargers in his rookie season last year, racking up 105 total tackles and 3.5 sacks. He was named to the Pro Bowl. LA will get a huge boost later in the season if he can return, but not having him for the first several games will be a big obstacle to overcome.

Report: D’Onta Foreman likely to miss four months with torn biceps

Colts logo

Indianapolis Colts running back D’Onta Foreman will miss the 2019 season after suffering a torn biceps.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Foreman tore his biceps and will likely need four months of recovery. He has already been placed on injured reserve.

It caps off what has been a very difficult preseason for Foreman. He was surprisingly waived by the Houston Texans, where he’d been expected to serve as the backup. While he landed quickly with the Colts, he barely had time to make an impression before suffering this injury. Now he’ll miss the year.

Dontrelle Inman will reportedly visit Lions after release from Patriots

Detroit Lions logo

Dontrelle Inman looks likely to land on his feet following his release from the New England Patriots.

According to Ian Rapoport, the wide receiver is generating “immediate interest” and already has a visit set with the Detroit Lions within the next day or so.

Inman caught three touchdowns and racked up 304 yards for the Indianapolis Colts last season. The Patriots added him as wide receiver depth, but when Josh Gordon was reinstated, Inman requested and received his release from the team in search of a bigger role elsewhere.