The Washington NFL team announced this week that they have dropped the “Redskins” nickname, but that is not the only news that is expected to emerge about the franchise this week.
On Sunday, we learned that Washington fired Director of Pro Personnel Alex Santos and Assistant Director of Pro Personnel Richard Mann II over the weekend. Santos had been with the organization since 2006, and Mann since 2010.
So what is going on?
Some gossipy reporters hinted on Twitter that something is coming out regarding the firings of Santos and Mann.
A real busy week. And it’s not all going to be about the name and it’s not all going to be pretty. https://t.co/5seER7VsLG
— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) July 13, 2020
I’ve been told it has to do with the front office firings of Alex Santos and Richard Mann II.
Again no details, no specifics. Sorry people…I’m waiting just like you.
— Scott Abraham (@ScottABC7) July 13, 2020
The warped and toxic culture of the Washington Football Team is about to be exposed in a sickening fashion … Again
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) July 14, 2020
Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio says a Washington Post article on the matter is in the works.
We can’t speculate on the details of the article, aside from it supposedly being about the fired employees. Washington has not announced its new nickname yet because of trademark issues.
- Washington Redskins
Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys do not appear close to reaching a long-term deal ahead of Wednesday’s deadline, and now we have some details about Dallas’ offer to their quarterback.
NFL Media’s Jane Slater reported on Tuesday night that the Cowboys’ latest offer to Prescott was for $33-35 million per year with over $100 million guaranteed.
I’m told the final offer on the table for Dak Prescott is between 33-35M annually with over 100M guaranteed. While there have still been no discussions between the two that’s the deal the #Cowboys have presented ahead of tomorrow’s deadline per a source informed.
— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) July 15, 2020
The length of the contract offer was not mentioned, but Dallas has reportedly sought a five-year deal, while Dak reportedly wants a four-year deal.
Prescott, 26, threw for a career-best 4,902 yards and 30 touchdowns last season, which marked his fourth as Dallas’ starter. He would make just over $31.4 million by playing on the franchise tag this season.
- Dak Prescott
Antonio Brown is awaiting word from the on possible disciplinary action, and that is likely the main reason he remains a free agent. If and when the league does determine his fate, the Houston Texans are among the teams that could come calling.
During an appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” Tuesday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media predicted that we will see Brown in the NFL again in 2020. Rapoport said several teams have expressed interest in Brown, including the Texans and Seattle Seahawks.
"He's got several teams interested I know that, we've talked about some #Seahawks #Texans there's a couple of them.. I think everyone wants to know how long his suspension is going to be"@RapSheet thinks @AB84 will play in the NFL in 2020 #PatMcAfeeShowLIVE pic.twitter.com/SaOiMBkvNq
— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) July 14, 2020
There have been reports linking Brown to the Seahawks, but most of what we have heard about the Texans has been just rumor. Those rumors seemed to excite Houston quarterback Deshaun Watson, however, as he had a cryptic response to them on Twitter a couple weeks back.
— Deshaun Watson (@deshaunwatson) July 3, 2020
The NFL has investigated sexual misconduct allegations against Brown from two different women in addition to other off-field problems he has had. Brown is basically in limbo until the NFL announces a disciplinary decision, but he apparently has a preferred landing spot.
Myles Garrett and the Cleveland Browns have been discussing the possibility of a contract extension for several weeks now, and the two sides are reportedly on the verge of an agreement.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Garrett and the Browns are closing in on a five-year contract extension worth $125 million. While there are still some hurdles to clear, the deal is expected to be finalized in the near future.
The #Browns and star pass-rusher Myles Garrett are closing in on a 5-year extension worth $125M, sources say. Another massive deal, this time for $25M in new money per year. Their top priority of this offseason and they are in the final stages.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 14, 2020
Garrett still has two years remaining on his rookie deal, but he is scheduled to make just $4.6 million this season. There was speculation that he could sign a massive contract worth $25 million annually, and that is reportedly what the Browns are giving him. Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is currently the highest-paid defensive lineman in football at $22.5 million per year. Garrett’s deal could be closer to that number when you factor in the two years he has remaining on his rookie contract.
There was some question about whether the Browns would want to commit to Garrett long-term after the ugly altercation he had with Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph last year, but that is apparently not a concern for the team. Aside from that incident, Garrett has lived up to the hype in Cleveland. The former No. 1 overall pick has 30.5 sacks and six forced fumbles through his first three NFL seasons.
The Kansas City Chiefs faced a lot of questions after winning the Super Bowl about whether they would be able to keep all of their core players together, and they are doing a pretty good job of that thus far. Not surprisingly, Patrick Mahomes is very excited about it.
The Chiefs agreed to a four-year, $85 million deal with star defensive lineman Chris Jones on Tuesday. Some assumed Jones would have to play under the franchise tag in 2020 after Kansas City signed Mahomes to a massive $500 million extension, but the team decided to spend big money on both sides of the ball. This pleases Mahomes, who sent a couple of great tweets after reports of the Jones deal surfaced.
— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) July 14, 2020
And yall thought we couldn’t… nvm #RunItBack
— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) July 14, 2020
Keeping a championship roster together is one of the hardest things to do in the NFL salary cap era. We saw how key players can price themselves out of town with the way the Seattle Seahawks’ “Legion of Boom” defense fell apart, but the Chiefs are doing what they can to keep themselves in Super Bowl contention.
Mahomes set a very lofty goal for himself after signing his new contract, and having Jones around for another four years should get him a step closer to accomplishing it.
Chris Jones will not be forced to play under the franchise tag in 2020, as the star defensive lineman has agreed to a long-term deal with the Kansas City Chiefs.
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen was the first to report the news, with Adam Schefter adding that the deal is for $85 million over four years and includes $60 million guaranteed.
Chiefs are giving franchise DT Chirs Jones a four-year, $85 million deal that includes $60 million in guarantees, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 14, 2020
There was some question about whether the Chiefs would be able to afford Jones after they signed Patrick Mahomes to a massive $500 million extension recently, but Jones had made it clear he was not opposed to sitting out the 2020 season without a long-term deal in place. Jones played hardball in negotiations with the Chiefs all season and was openly unhappy about being hit with the franchise tag, but it all worked out in the long run.
Jones was a second-round pick by the Chiefs in 2016 and had fulfilled his four-year, $6.23 million contract. He was franchise tagged by Kansas City after recording nine sacks last season. The former Mississippi State star had 15.5 sacks in 2018.
Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are running out of time to agree to a long-term deal, and they may not even make a last-second effort to work something out.
Wednesday is the deadline for franchise tagged players to sign long-term contracts with their respective teams, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported on Tuesday that both Prescott and the Cowboys “remain dug in” and have not shown any interest in negotiating further.
With a little more than 24 hours to go before the deadline, the #Cowboys & Dak Prescott remain dug in and no further talks are scheduled, per me and @TomPelissero. So barring a significant shift, Dak is in line to bet on himself again — this time playing on the $31.4 million tag.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 14, 2020
It seemed at one point like it was a foregone conclusion that Prescott would not be forced to play the 2020 season under the franchise tag, but that is the direction in which the two sides are headed. There has been no movement in contract talks in recent weeks, though it wouldn’t take much time for that to change if one side was willing to sacrifice.
The issue all along has been the length of the contract, as Prescott reportedly wants a four-year deal and the Cowboys want to lock him up for five.
While playing under the franchise tag takes some long-term security away from a player, Kirk Cousins made roughly $44 million by playing under the tag in 2016 and 2017. Prescott is set to make $31.4 million this year, so there are worse situations he could be in.