Even Lamar Jackson was blown away by Patrick Mahomes’ contract.
Mahomes signed a massive 10-year contract extension with the Kansas City Chiefs last week that could be worth as much as $503 million. That is the most amount ever for a professional athlete, and it definitely got Jackson’s attention.
“It’s a crazy number,” Jackson said of Mahomes’ contract during an interview on “SportsCenter” on Monday. “No one has ever dreamed about that. Probably dreamed about it, but no one ever expected that. Half a million dollars. That’s different. But he deserves it. He deserves it.”
The Baltimore Ravens quarterback knows there is one thing separating him from getting that kind of deal too.
“I got to win me a Super Bowl. I got to get what he has,” Jackson said.
Jackson had a monster regular season last year. The former No. 32 overall pick passed for a league-high 36 touchdowns while also rushing for 1,206 yards and seven touchdowns, helping his Ravens go 14-2. But for the second year in a row, Jackson struggled in the playoffs, and his team got eliminated in their first postseason game (Jackson thinks he knows why).
Much like Mahomes, Jackson has an MVP award on his resume. But he needs a Super Bowl ring in order to have a contract that comes close to matching Mahomes’.
The Kansas City Chiefs faced a lot of questions after winning the Super Bowl about whether they would be able to keep all of their core players together, and they are doing a pretty good job of that thus far. Not surprisingly, Patrick Mahomes is very excited about it.
The Chiefs agreed to a four-year, $85 million deal with star defensive lineman Chris Jones on Tuesday. Some assumed Jones would have to play under the franchise tag in 2020 after Kansas City signed Mahomes to a massive $500 million extension, but the team decided to spend big money on both sides of the ball. This pleases Mahomes, who sent a couple of great tweets after reports of the Jones deal surfaced.
— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) July 14, 2020
And yall thought we couldn’t… nvm #RunItBack
— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) July 14, 2020
Keeping a championship roster together is one of the hardest things to do in the NFL salary cap era. We saw how key players can price themselves out of town with the way the Seattle Seahawks’ “Legion of Boom” defense fell apart, but the Chiefs are doing what they can to keep themselves in Super Bowl contention.
Mahomes set a very lofty goal for himself after signing his new contract, and having Jones around for another four years should get him a step closer to accomplishing it.
The Washington Redskins are officially the Redskins no more.
As expected, owner Daniel Snyder announced on Monday that the team will no longer go by the “Redskins” nickname. A new name has yet to be revealed, and Snyder said in a statement that he and head coach Ron Rivera are working closely together to come up with a new name and design that will “enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans and community for the next 100 years.”
Now official: pic.twitter.com/N4Ouq9yXil
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 13, 2020
While Snyder made it seem as though the team has not decided on a new nickname, a series of pending trademarks may have given the secret away.
Snyder has resisted getting rid of the Redskins nickname for years, but pressure from business partners intensified in recent weeks. There has been talk that FedEx, which holds the naming rights to the team’s stadium, would cut ties with Washington if Snyder did not retire the name.
The franchise originated as the Boston Braves in 1932, was named the Boston Redskins in 1933, and has kept that nickname ever since moving to Washington in 1937.
- Washington Redskins
DeSean Jackson has accepted an invitation from a Holocaust survivor to visit Auschwitz.
Jackson was fined by the Philadelphia Eagles last week for conduct detrimental to the team for sharing anti-Semitic messages on his Instagram account and doubling down on them.
The veteran wide receiver apologized twice for his messages and expressed that he was uneducated about the matter. He opened himself up to learn more Jewish history and spoke with Holocaust survivor Edward Mosberg on a Zoom call last week.
“I grew up in Los Angeles, and never really spent time with anyone from the Jewish community and didn’t know much about their history, this has been such a powerful experience for me to learn and educate myself,” Jackson reportedly said on the call.
According to The Jerusalem Post’s Aaron Reich, during the call, Jackson accepted an invitation to visit Auschwitz. Auschwitz was one of the extermination camps where the Germans sent Jews during World War II. An estimated 1.1 million out of 1.3 million Jews who were rounded up and sent to the camp via trains were killed. Many of the Jews who arrived were immediately sent to gas chambers and killed.
“I want to take the proper steps to let people know that I never intentionally had any hatred in my heart, I never wanted to put the Jewish community down, I want to educate myself more and help bridge the gaps between all different cultures,” Jackson said.
- DeSean Jackson
The Cincinnati Bengals placed the franchise tag on wide receiver A.J. Green in March, and the sides have until July 15 to reach a long-term contract extension. One reporter does not believe such a deal will get done.
ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported on Saturday that not only has Green not signed his tender yet, but that a long-term deal is unlikely.
Franchise tag updates on Dak Prescott (Cowboys aren’t worried), Chris Jones (progress?) and A.J. Green (Bengals not overly optimistic) pic.twitter.com/7FHXVmo1S6
— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) July 11, 2020
“He has not signed the tag,” Fowler said. “I’ve talked with some sources involved. They don’t know if he’s going to, or if a long-term deal is going to get done. They don’t sound overly optimistic in Cincinnati that their best pass-catcher will be locked up long-term. They expect that he will play this year on the tag.”
Green did not play last season due to an ankle injury and only played in nine games in 2018 after injuring his toe. The 31-year-old would be set to make just under $18 million under the franchise tag.
Though he did not seem highly motivated to play for the Bengals amid a terrible 2-14 season last year, Green seems more excited about teaming with rookie quarterback Joe Burrow.
- A.J. Green
Myles Garrett and the Cleveland Browns have been discussing the possibility of a contract extension for several weeks now, and the two sides are reportedly on the verge of an agreement.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Garrett and the Browns are closing in on a five-year contract extension worth $125 million. While there are still some hurdles to clear, the deal is expected to be finalized in the near future.
The #Browns and star pass-rusher Myles Garrett are closing in on a 5-year extension worth $125M, sources say. Another massive deal, this time for $25M in new money per year. Their top priority of this offseason and they are in the final stages.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 14, 2020
Garrett still has two years remaining on his rookie deal, but he is scheduled to make just $4.6 million this season. There was speculation that he could sign a massive contract worth $25 million annually, and that is reportedly what the Browns are giving him. Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is currently the highest-paid defensive lineman in football at $22.5 million per year. Garrett’s deal could be closer to that number when you factor in the two years he has remaining on his rookie contract.
There was some question about whether the Browns would want to commit to Garrett long-term after the ugly altercation he had with Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph last year, but that is apparently not a concern for the team. Aside from that incident, Garrett has lived up to the hype in Cleveland. The former No. 1 overall pick has 30.5 sacks and six forced fumbles through his first three NFL seasons.
There were a lot of great moments on Sunday night’s “Celebrity Family Feud” episode that pitted a group of NFL Hall of Famers against some of the league’s rising stars, but there is no question Bruce Smith stole the show.
Smith was the second participant in the game’s “fast money” segment, and he gave a response that may have been one of the greatest in the 44-year history of the show. As usual, host Steve Harvey handled the moment perfectly.
— Travis Green (@ItsTravisGreen) July 13, 2020
As you can see, Smith was thrown off by the fact that “hammer” was already taken as a response. Other logical answers might have included screwdriver, drill or wrench, but Smith’s mind wandered to a much different place.
Smith, the NFL’s all time leader in sacks with 200, is arguably the best defensive lineman to ever play the game. His “Family Feud” skills may need some work, but we’ve certainly seen more embarrassing responses on game shows.