Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditSaturday, January 28, 2023

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor challenges ‘Hollywood actress’ Mark Wahlberg to fight

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor announced his retirement from mixed marital arts last week, but the former UFC champion apparently has at least one fight left in him.

On Saturday night, McGregor took to Twitter to call out actor Mark Wahlberg. He referred to Wahlberg as an “actress” and said a bout between the two would be “a fight for all the shares!”

Wahlberg was among a group of celebrities who purchased a stake in the UFC when the company was sold in 2016. When McGregor said in his post-fight press conference after UFC 205 that he wants a share of the company, Wahlberg later offered to give the Irishman a portion of his shares if McGregor is willing to “cut the check.”

When one of McGregor’s Twitter followers made a reference to Wahlberg’s character in the movie “Four Brothers,” McGregor said he will whoop Wahlberg and his four brothers.

Obviously, this “fight” is never going to happen. As for whether or not McGregor is actually retired, we have our theory about that.

Dana White: Conor McGregor will not be given ownership in UFC

Dana White

If Conor McGregor’s retirement tweet was intended to be a leverage ploy for an ownership stake in the UFC, it’s not going to work, according to Dana White.

White told TMZ on Tuesday that McGregor will have to buy an ownership share in the company like anyone else, if that’s what he wants.

“Listen, if you want to own a piece of the company, you have to put up the money to buy a piece of the company,” White told TMZ. “That’s how it works.”

McGregor signed an 8-fight deal with the UFC last year. He recently said he was aiming to fight in July, but then two issues apparently came up. One, McGregor reportedly objected to being part of a co-main event rather than headlining the main event solo. Two, he is now seeking an ownership share.

Then on Monday night McGregor turned up the heat by tweeting his retirement — a claim many did not take seriously.

McGregor last fought in October when he lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229. He has been a part of five of the company’s six most purchased pay-per-view fights in history.

Report: Conor McGregor being investigated for alleged sexual assault

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor announced this week that he is retiring from mixed martial arts, and you have to wonder if part of the reason for that is so he can deal with some major legal trouble he is facing in his personal life.

According to a report from Tariq Panja of the New York Times, police in Ireland are investigating McGregor after a woman accused him of sexually assaulting her back in December. McGregor was arrested in January but was questioned and released without being charged with a crime. The investigation is ongoing.

The alleged victim in the case told police McGregor assaulted her at the Beacon Hotel in Dublin. McGregor is reportedly an occasional guest at the hotel and often books the penthouse suite. His most recent visit was in December. Laws in Ireland prohibit media outlets from identifying individuals accused of rape unless they have been charged, which is why McGregor has not yet been formally named. A spokesperson for Ireland’s police service would not confirm that McGregor is under investigation.

McGregor is no stranger to legal trouble, and he was most recently arrested after being accused of smacking a cell phone out of the hand of a fan who tried to take a photo with him. The former UFC champion also recently completed the probation for his bus attack at a UFC event last year.

Real or fake? Conor McGregor tweets his retirement from MMA

Conor McGregor

Has April Fools’ Day come early or did Conor McGregor really retire from MMA?

McGregor tweeted late on Monday night that he was retiring from MMA. His tweet was complete with a “Proper” reference to his whiskey.

I have a hard time believing McGregor will never partake in an MMA fight again, especially when he just signed an 8-fight deal with the UFC last year.

So what’s going on? My guess is one of two things.

One, maybe McGregor is taking a page out of Floyd Mayweather’s book. Mayweather retired multiple times during his boxing career, which proved to be a successful strategy at building interest in his subsequent fights when he came out of retirement. In other words, this could be a publicity stunt.

Two, McGregor said last week he was close to fighting in July. There was supposedly a snag over the potential fight with Donald Cerrone because it would only be a co-main event, which supposedly wasn’t suitable to Conor. He also seemed to be angling for an ownership stake in the company, so maybe he’s trying to exercise his leverage.

There’s no way I’m buying this.

Conor McGregor aiming to have next UFC fight in July

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor last fought in October and is apparently targeting a return to the octagon this year.

McGregor has been making his way around the country recently, including an appearance at a Boston Bruins game where he dropped the ceremonial puck. He was in Chicago for St. Patrick’s Day on Sunday and was interviewed by ABC 7. He told them he’s in negotiations and aiming for a July fight.

“Yes, we’re currently in negotiations, we’re aiming for July, we’ll see what happens,” McGregor told ABC 7 in Chicago, via MMA Mania. “I am staying ready. This morning I was doing incline sprints on the treadmill on my program, the McGregorFast program, today in a hotel room. So we’re staying on it, getting work in as we go.”

McGregor is coming off a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov and has actually been defeated twice in his last four fights. There has been talk of him facing Cowboy Cerrone, though it’s not as much of a done deal as was previously indicated. News of McGregor scheduling another fight would be a welcome change in the dialogue surrounding him following his recent arrest.

H/T Bloody Elbow

Attorney issues statement in response to Conor McGregor arrest

Conor McGregor

The attorney for Conor McGregor issued a statement on Monday evening in response to his client’s arrest.

McGregor was arrested Monday after allegedly knocking a cellphone out of a fan’s hands, throwing it on the ground, smashing it, and then taking it away. The incident allegedly took place in the morning outside Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach, and McGregor was arrested later in the day.

“Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation over a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation,” the attorney said in a statement.

McGregor was arrested on charges of strong arm robbery and criminal mischief, both felonies.

McGregor was released from jail after posting bond.

Conor McGregor arrested for allegedly smashing fan’s cellphone

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor is in trouble with the law again.

McGregor was arrested on Monday for a cellphone incident with a fan outside a hotel in Miami Beach. Here is the booking information.

The police report states that McGregor and the alleged victim were walking out of the Fontainebleau Hotel, where popular nightclub LIV is located, around 5:00 a.m. The fan claims he tried to take a photo with McGregor, who then knocked the phone out of the fan’s hand. McGregor then allegedly stomped on the phone, damaging it, and then picked up the phone and walked away with it.

McGregor has been booked for felony strong-armed robbery and felony criminal mischief. The Miami Herald says the incident was captured on video. McGregor was not immediately arrested but was later picked up after detectives spent the day investigating the matter.

McGregor recently completed the probation for his bus attack at a UFC 223 event last year.

Report: Conor McGregor vs Donald Cerrone is a ‘done deal’

Conor McGregor

A fight between Conor McGregor and Donald Cerrone seemed to be in the works, and one report says it’s a “done deal.”

Joe Rogan said on his UFC Fight Companion podcast during UFC in Phoenix on Sunday night that the McGregor-Cerrone fight is happening.

McGregor seemed to hint that he was ready for such a fight when he responded to a callout from Cerrone following Cowboy’s win at UFC Brooklyn last month.

Previously, McGregor seemed to very carefully pick and choose his fights and only partake in premium matchups for top pay. Now he has a new six-fight contract to fulfill, which makes it more likely for him to take on fighters like Cerrone. Details about where and when such a fight would take place are not yet known.

Conor McGregor at Super Bowl with son in matching purple jackets

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor was in attendance for Sunday’s Super Bowl in Atlanta between the New England Patriots and Los Angeles Rams, and he brought a special guest.

McGregor was at the big game with son Conor McGregor Jr. They were wearing matching purple jackets:

It’s hard to beat that swag. Just hope that McGregor doesn’t throw the football like he did at a Cowboys game, because that’s when he’ll start to lose respect.

Conor McGregor accepts Cowboy Cerrone’s challenge

Conor McGregor

Cowboy Cerrone’s efforts to goad Conor McGregor into a fight have finally paid off.

After Cerrone beat Alexander Hernandez at UFC Brooklyn on Saturday night, he called out McGregor once again. Only this time McGregor responded.

Cerrone is a UFC veteran who has fought for the promotion since 2011. Durable, active and fearless, he is always ready for a challenge and has fought multiple times per year, helping him set UFC records for wins and finishes. The only issue is he lost three fights in a row 2017, somewhat dampening his luster.

Is he as much of a sell as some other big names? Maybe not, but as long as McGregor’s involved, a UFC card will always sell big numbers, and you know Cerrone would make the fight interesting.