Brock Lesnar’s contract with the WWE has expired, which has led to speculation that he may think about reviving his UFC career. If Lesnar is interested in returning to the Octagon for a mega-fight, Dana White is all ears.
White said he has heard the rumors and will gladly pursue the fight if Lesnar and Jones are “seriously interested.”
Lesnar last fought in the UFC against Mark Hunt in 2016. The 43-year-old hinted at a return to MMA following his loss at Wrestlemania 35 last year.
Jones is playing hardball with the UFC, but it would be hard to imagine him turning down a fight against Lesnar. After he knocked out Daniel Cormier a few years back, Jones called out Lesnar. The two traded shots in the media after that. If they renew the trash talk now that Lesnar is no longer under contract with the WWE, we know they are angling toward a fight.
Jon “Bones” Jones is giving up his light heavyweight title, and the UFC star says Dana White will have to give him more money if he’s ever going to fight in the Octagon again.
Jones announced on social media Monday that he is officially vacating his light heavyweight title. He then followed up by saying he wants to fight in the heavyweight division but will not do so unless the UFC is willing to pay him more.
Just got off the phone with @Ufc, today I confirm that I’m vacating the light heavyweight championship. It’s officially up for grabs. It’s been an amazing journey, sincere thank you to all my competition, Ufc and most importantly you fans.
The last I spoke with @UFC about my salary there was no negotiating. If that ever changes, i’d love to come back and compete again as a heavyweight. Until then, I’ll be enjoying Ufc has a fan and doing my best to take care of my family and community https://t.co/NoTTpRTMH0
This seems like strictly a business move from Jones, who expressed frustration earlier this year with White and the UFC over his and other fighters’ pay scales. Jones wanted to move up to the heavyweight division to fight Francis Ngannou, but he said UFC would not give him an increase in pay to take a more risky fight. White said Jones was looking for “Deontay Wilder money,” which is a reference to the boxer making more than $20 million for his fights. Jones fired back by saying he was not looking for that much but that UFC fighters have always been underpaid relative to the money pay-per-views generate.
Jones won the previously vacant light heavyweight championship when he defeated Alexander Gustafsson on Dec. 29, 2018. He then defended the title three teams, with his most recent win coming against Dominick Reyes back in February. That victory improved Jones’ record to 26-1.
Mike Tyson has been hinting around that he wants to make a boxing comeback, and the former heavyweight champion appears to have an official challenge from Jon Jones.
Jones has recently been at odds with the UFC and president Dana White over his and other fighters’ pay scales. Jones recently wanted to move up to the heavyweight division to fight Francis Ngannou, but he said UFC would not give him an increase in pay to take a more risky fight. White said Jones was looking for “Deontay Wilder money,” which is a reference to the boxer making more than $20 million for his fights. Jones fired back by saying he was not looking for that much but that UFC fighters have always been underpaid relative to the money pay-per-views generate.
Fast-forward to Friday night, when Tyson spoke with Charlie Mack about how UFC fighters will never make as much as top boxers despite UFC having higher ratings and more viewership. Tyson said Jones would have to fight him if the lightweight champ wants to make “super-money,” and Iron Mike did not seem like he was joking.
Mike Tyson gives his thoughts on current UFC pay disputes in comparison to boxing…
Jones is open to it, or so he says. The 32-year-old took to social media on Saturday to tell Tyson he is “listening.” Jones said he’s willing to fight Tyson in the boxing ring if Tyson will give him a “real fight in the octagon afterwords.” One follower suggested Jones give Dominick Reyes a rematch, but Jones replied that he wants real money and has been “beating no names for years.”
Conor McGregor fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a boxing match, so we know better than to rule anything out when hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line. A fight between Tyson and Jones would draw the same — if not more — attention.
Like many other prominent athletes, Jon Jones has expressed outrage over the way George Floyd was killed by a police officer last week. However, Jones does not agree with destroying communities in order to send a message about racial inequality.
Jones shared a video on his Instagram account Sunday night that featured the UFC champion confronting two individuals who were walking around with spray paint cans. Jones demanded that they hand the cans over, and they obliged. The person filming could be heard saying “that’s not the way, man.”
Jon Jones confronted two teenagers and confiscated their spray cans in a video posted to Instagram.
“Is this sh– even about George Floyd anymore?!? Why the f— are you punk a– teenagers destroying our cities!?? As a young black man trust me I’m frustrated as well but this is not the way, we are starting to make a bad situation worse. If you really got love for your city (505), protect your s—. All you old heads need to speak up, call your young family members and tell them to come home tonight,” Jones wrote on Instagram.
Jones tweeted about the Floyd incident last week, saying he wouldn’t wish that cause of death “on my worst enemy.”
“I wouldn’t wish the way George Floyd was murdered on my worst enemy. That officer applied just enough pressure to keep him alive for almost six minutes in that chokehold,” Jones wrote. “In all my years of fighting I can honestly say I’ve never experienced anything close to that level of torture. There needs to be a nationwide policy change. When a man is in handcuffs and is screaming that he cannot breathe. Get the f— off his chest and or neck. If you cant hold a man who is in handcuffs down by his feet you’re a p—y and probably shouldn’t be wearing that badge.”
Considering his age and that Cejudo has only had 18 professional MMA fights, Jones’ suspicion could be accurate. We will find out in time whether Cejudo is truly walking away or whether he is making a leverage play for a new deal.
Jon Jones recently acknowledged that he has to work on the “unhealthy relationship” he has with alcohol, but the UFC star does not want that to define him as a person.
Jones was bold enough to answer some questions from fans on Twitter Sunday — less than two weeks after he reached a plea deal in his latest DWI case. Naturally, the topic of his issues outside the Octagon came up. When one fan praised Jones for his fighting ability but urged him not to “f— it up,” Jones seemed to take it a bit personally.
You tell me not to mess it up, then you tell me you love everything I do. Now You’re just confusing me https://t.co/g2IUHnKcg3
Jones then addressed concerns about his character and admitted his “character gets too drunk when he drinks.” He said he would rather focus on the positives, though.
Yes, I guess my character gets too drunk when he drinks. I’m not going to allow that to outweigh all the awesome things about myself. Some people only focus on what they want I guess. I focus on my good traits, that’s probably the reason why I thrive every year https://t.co/2z6R8ebz42
Jones is one of the best fighters in UFC history, but he just can’t seem to stay out of trouble. His recent DWI and gun charge was hardly his first run-in with the law, as the light heavyweight champion also had a DUI in 2012, a hit-and-run in 2015 and numerous failed drug tests. It’s convenient for him to say he prefers to focus on the positives, but he has to be prepared to answer questions about his poor decisions if he’s going to hold a Q&A on social media.
Jon Jones issued a statement on Tuesday after reaching a plea deal in his DWI case earlier in the day.
Jones was arrested on March 26 for alleged DWI and a gun charge. He failed three field sobriety tests and a breathalyzer showed his blood alcohol content to be twice the legal limit.
On Tuesday, the UFC star reached a plea deal that will punish him with house arrest, probation, outpatient therapy, and a fine.
“While we all work to understand and cope with stress and uncertainties surrounding the current state of our world, I want to express how truly disappointed I am that I have become the source of a negative headline again, especially during these trying times,” Jones said. “I am disappointed for letting down the people I care about the most – my family, friends and my fans. This morning I entered into a plea deal with the Albuquerque DA’s office. I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I know that I have some personal work to do to which involves the unhealthy relationship I have with alcohol,” Jones said in a statement via his publicist.
“I have dedicated so much time and energy to improve my community, and I will not allow this personal setback to hinder my work within the community when we need it most. I truly appreciate the support I have received from the community of Albuquerque and all my fans around the world. I very much look forward to putting this behind me. Thank you all for your continued love and support and please take care of yourselves.”
The 32-year-old fighter has had numerous legal issues. He had a DUI in 2012, a hit-and-run incident in 2015, and numerous failed drug tests.
UFC star Jon Jones has once again found himself in trouble with the law.
Jones was arrested in New Mexico on Thursday morning and charged with driving while under the influence and a weapon-related charge, according to Elise Kaplan of the Albuquerque Journal. A criminal complaint filed in Metropolitan Court states that officers responded to the sound of gunshots shortly after 1 a.m. and found “two unknown homeless subjects” and a black Jeep at the scene. Jones was in the driver’s seat of the Jeep, and it’s unclear how the homeless individuals are related.
Jones told police he did not know anything about the gunshot, but police conducted a series of field sobriety tests after suspecting the 32-year-old was intoxicated. Jones failed three field sobriety tests and took a breathalyzer exam that registered “at or above twice the legal limit.” Officers said Jones admitted to driving before and said he intended to drive again.
Police also found a black handgun and an open bottle of alcohol in the car. Jones was charged with driving while under the influence, negligent use of a weapon, possession of an open container and driving without insurance.
During the pre-dawn hours on Tuesday, Tony Ferguson issued an out-of-nowhere call-out of Jon Jones, implying he had beaten the UFC light heavyweight champion in a college wrestling match and would like to do it again.
“Lot Of S— Talk @jonnybones. You Wanna Play Again Like We Did In College? I Bumped Up Two Weight Classes & I’ll Do It Again Growth. You Wanna Play Chess I’ll Be Your Huckleberry. Got You In 2 Neanderthal, Talked To Your Pops He Knows Who’s Champ. # Anklepick # DavidVSGoliath,” Ferguson wrote on Twitter (edited for profanity).
Ferguson’s tweet drew confusion from just about everyone, but Jones wasted little time in responding. And when he did, he went in hard — too hard.
Jones took aim at Ferguson’s well-documented mental health issues, asking the UFC star if he was over there feeling suicidal.
After heavy criticism reigned down on Jones, he sent out a new flurry of tweets saying he wasn’t aware of Ferguson’s mental health issues and offered up an apology.
“Definitely should’ve used a better choice of words, deleted that last tweet. My fault, I’m sorry guys,” Jones said in another tweet that has been deleted. “Definitely knew nothing about my guy having any mental health issues, I do now though. I apologize for my response back to him and moving on.”
After being pressed about his comments, Jones said he doesn’t “really sit around and read other fighters [sic] articles.” He later admitted that he was in his “feelings” and needed someone to come take his phone away.
Ferguson, who’s on a 12-fight winning streak, currently sits as the No. 1 contender to the lightweight title. He could soon square up with Khabib Nurmagomedov, but perhaps a showdown between he and Jones will materialize somewhere down the line.
For now, this beef begins and ends with a series of bizarre from both Ferguson and Jones.
Israel Adesanya responded on Wednesday night to Jon Jones calling him his “pu–y” earlier in the day.
Jones tweeted a video early Wednesday of Adesanya’s coach explaining why he has no interest in the Style Bender facing Jones. In response to Adesanya’s camp ducking him, Jones said “I formally release DC as being my pu–y, Izzy now takes the throne” (tweet censored by LBS).