Kevin Ferguson Jr., the son of the late Kimbo Slice, will be making his professional MMA debut on Aug. 26 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. on the preliminary card at Bellator 160. On Monday, Bellator announced the opponent for “Baby Slice.”
Baby Slice will be facing Jonathan Tomasian, a 20-year-old from Santa Clara, Calif., who will also be making his professional MMA debut. Tomasian was 2-0 as an amateur, winning by knockout and decision. He is a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu and trains at Strive Jiu Jitsu Academy in Lodi Calif.
Baby Slice was signed by Bellator to a developmental deal in April. He won his first amateur fight with a knockout win in 83 seconds earlier this year.
Baby Slice trains in Long Beach, Calif. at Body Shop Gym.
The fight between Baby Slice and Tomasian will be streamed live on Bellator.com.
- Kevin Ferguson Jr.
Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos underwent a lengthy surgery on Wednesday to help repair his fractured skull, and he later shared photos of the results of the procedure.
The Brazilian MMA fighter lost to Michael Page at Bellator 158 in London on July 16 and had his skull crushed on a flying knee. There was literally a dent in his skull, as photos showed.
But thanks to Bellator, which is covering his medical bills, Santos had a 7-hour operation Wednesday to get his skull fixed.
“I had surgery yesterday, and thank God everything went fine,” Santos told MMA Fighting before leaving the hospital on Thursday. “It lasted seven hours, and the hospital will give Bellator a full report later today. God guided the doctors in this surgery so everything went well.”
You can see all the staples and other tools used to fix his skull, as well as a big scar around his head.
- Evangelista Santos
Ronda Rousey has yet to make an announcement on if and when she will return to the Octagon, and one of her fellow fighters believes that is because the former UFC women’s bantamweight champion is expecting a child.
On Thursday, Cris “Cyborg” Justino tweeted that she keeps hearing a “rumor” Rousey is pregnant.
— Cris Cyborg (@criscyborg) July 28, 2016
Rousey claims that is a lie. UFC president Dana White told TMZ he spoke with her on the phone after Cyborg sent the tweet, and Rousey assured White she is not with child.
We know Rousey wants children eventually. The 29-year-old said in an emotional interview earlier this year (video here) that one of the things that kept her from wanting to kill herself after her loss to Holly Holm was the thought of having children with her boyfriend, fellow MMA fighter Travis Browne.
White has said Rousey will get a shot to reclaim her title when she returns, but it’s looking like that won’t come until 2017. Perhaps Cyborg, who has insulted Rousey on more than a few occasions, is trying a new strategy to pressure Rousey into fighting her instead.
- Ronda Rousey
The oldest sign of late mixed martial arts fighter and street brawling legend Kimbo Slice is set to make his professional MMA debut next month.
Kevin Ferguson Jr., who had his first amateur fight in March and defeated his opponent in 83 seconds, will fight on the undercard at Bellator MMA 160 in California on Aug. 26. He told The Associated Press on Monday that he grew up around fighting and always knew he wanted to make it a profession.
“I was always around the fight business and everything, so I saw it and I understood what was going on,” Ferguson said. “I just knew without a doubt that one day, this was what I wanted to do.”
Ferguson said he received Kimbo’s blessing to pursue a career in MMA while he was in college. He did some training in college but admits he was more focused on partying.
“I trained [in MMA] a little bit in college, but not really,” Ferguson said. “I was more focused on having fun and partying a little bit, getting that out of my system early. I trained a little bit, like once a week.”
News of Kimbo’s death last month at age 42 came as a shock to the fighting world. It was later revealed that he was told he needed a heart transplant, which is something his son alluded to.
“I won’t say I adjusted well or it didn’t bother me, but I was talking to him a few days before, so I understood what was going on,” Ferguson said. “It was more of a shock to the world, put it like that. It was still a very big tragedy, but I got through it. I’m still getting through it. I won’t say I’m over it, but I’m working on it, I guess.”
If Ferguson’s punches are anything like his old man’s (see some of Kimbo’s best fights here), he should have plenty of success fighting in Bellator.
Dana White is about as unprofessional as it gets when it comes to sports executives, so his Twitter behavior on Wednesday should not come as a surprise.
ESPN business reporter Darren Rovell tweeted Wednesday about the UFC sale going south. The company was sold recently, but since then superstars Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones failed drug tests. Rovell talked about the sale souring, leading to White calling him a “douche” in response.
@darrenrovell he doesn't hate UFC he's just a total douche who needs to talk about just about anything to stay employed.
— Dana White (@danawhite) July 20, 2016
While few would disagree with that description of Rovell, this is once again another example of White name-calling and bullying. In what other pro league would the president publicly call a reporter a “douche” in a forum like Twitter? I guess if Donald Drumpf were a pro league president, he probably would, which explains why White spoke at the RNC recently.
Mark Hunt remains as incensed as ever over his loss to Brock Lesnar at UFC 200 and the ensuing revelations that Lesnar failed two drug tests prior to the fight.
Lesnar defeated Hunt by unanimous decision and was dominant during the fight. But his victory will likely be overturned in the coming months as the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) reviews Lesnar’s two failed drug tests prior to the fight — one weeks before the fight and the other the day of the event.
After news was released on Tuesday saying that Lesnar had failed a second drug test, Hunt blasted his UFC 200 opponent via Twitter as “cheating scum.”
Hunt told another Twitter user that he wasn’t interested in a rematch with a “dirty cheat” either.
— mark richard hunt (@markhunt1974) July 19, 2016
After Lesnar’s first positive test was revealed, Hunt said he wanted half of Lesnar’s $2.5 million purse for the fight. He then upgraded that to wanting the whole amount. Unfortunately for him, a good chunk of that money will likely go to NSAC as a fine.
Reports have said Lesnar tested positive for an estrogen blocker that enhances testosterone levels.
Brock Lesnar failed two drug tests prior to his win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. Both failed tests were for the same banned substance.
USADA, the testing agency responsible for administering the tests, did not publicly announce the substance for which Lesnar failed his exam. However, two reporters are saying Lesnar was flagged for clomiphene.
I'm told by an official with knowledge of Brock Lesnar's positive test that the substance is clomiphene, the same one found in @JonnyBones.
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) July 19, 2016
According to sources, Brock Lesnar tested positive for Clomiphene, the same anti-estrogen blocker Jon Jones tested positive for.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) July 19, 2016
As Okamoto noted, clomiphene is the same substance Jon Jones tested positive for in his failed out-of-competition drug test prior to UFC 200. Clomiphene is an estrogen blocker and increases testosterone levels.