pixel 1
header
Monday, August 19, 2019

MMA

Report: Floyd Mayweather will fight Conor McGregor in September

Floyd-Mayweather-Conor-McGregor

At least one well-known sports media personality is so certain that a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor is going to happen that he has already booked hotel accommodations for it.

On his radio show Monday, Colin Cowherd of FOX Sports revealed that he has gotten information indicating Mayweather vs. McGregor will take place the weekend of Sept. 17, 2016, in Las Vegas.

“I have already booked two rooms for Sept. 17 and 18 in Las Vegas,” Cowherd said. “My intel is Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call, then somebody else sent me something yesterday and Saturday and we booked rooms in Vegas.”

Cowherd casually dropped the bomb and then spoke about how he does not believe it will be a good fight but it “doesn’t matter” because of how much money everyone is going to make. He said he anticipates the official announcement coming in about two weeks.

If that’s true, this would obviously be an unprecedented event between two fighters from completely different disciplines. Mayweather has said numerous times that he believes the fight will happen, though it has been widely assumed that the retired champion is just trying to create a buzz.

Maybe not.

Mayweather is adamant that he will not come out of retirement for any fight that guarantees him less than $100 million, and he has reportedly offered to pay McGregor about half of that. In an interview over the weekend, McGregor had some choice words for Mayweather regarding who needs the fight more. You can read what McGregor said here.

Between Mayweather being retired and McGregor being under contract with the UFC, it seems like there would be a ton of hoops to jump through to make the fight happen. If what Cowherd said is true, there apparently aren’t enough hoops to prevent the bout from taking place.

Video via The Big Lead

Conor McGregor on Floyd Mayweather: ‘He needs me, I don’t need him’

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor is willing to negotiate a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr., but the MMA star has no intention of taking less money than Mayweather in any potential bout.

Mayweather has already said on numerous occasions that he would not come out of retirement for less than $100 million guaranteed. In an interview with ESPN’s Kenny Mayne this weekend, McGregor said he wants the same amount if not more.

“It was him that leaked the rumor. He gets $100 million and I get $7 million. That’s a pay cut for me. I don’t take pay cuts,” McGregor said. “I thought boxing was where money was at. The $7 million is absolutely laughable. He’s talking $100 million, I’m also talking $100 million. I’m 27 years of age and just about halfway through a $100 million contract. At 27 Floyd Mayweather was on Oscar De La Hoya’s undercard, so compare that.”

While $7 million for McGregor was the original number that was thrown around, that would never happen. A more recent report claimed Mayweather has offered McGregor $50 million.

McGregor wants more money because he believes he is just as big of a draw as Mayweather. Not only that, he thinks Floyd needs the fight more than he does.

“He’s getting old now. I have the size, I have the reach, I have the height. I have the youth. He needs me. I don’t need him,” the UFC featherweight champion said. “Who else can he fight? He fights someone else in the boxing realm, and all of a sudden the pay goes from $100 million to $15 million. He needs me. If he wants to talk, we can talk, but it’s me who’s in control here.”

As we have said numerous times, the odds of this fight actually happening are incredibly slim. Mayweather probably wants to build the hype and come out of retirement to go for his 50th win at some point, and that’s why he’s insisting a fight with McGregor will happen. McGregor, also a master promoter, did his part by sharing this poster on social media.

Fight fans — both boxing and MMA – should not get their hopes up.

Report: Dana White stormed out after meeting with Nate Diaz

Dana White

Don’t hold your breath on a rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor — yet.

Dana White apparently has met with both fighters this week in hopes of putting together a deal for the men to face each other in a rematch of Diaz’s win over McGregor in March. He met with McGregor this week and says the relationship between the two is “great.” So White headed up to Stockton, Calif. to meet with Diaz on Friday for lunch.

TMZ Sports says an apparently upset White stormed out after meeting with Diaz. They say both sides were friendly during their meal, but things “ended abruptly when Dana was visibly angry, stood up and beelined it for his SUV.”

The two men were initially scheduled to meet at UFC 200 on July 9, but that fell through after McGregor refused to travel to Las Vegas to fulfill some of his media obligations. McGregor said he was going to retire in response. Whatever their issues have been seem to have been resolved, but now there seems to be a problem with Diaz.

What’s odd is that McGregor even has interest in a rematch in the first place. He made a significant jump up in weight to face Diaz, all because Rafael dos Anjos pulled out of the initially scheduled fight. After getting pummeled by Diaz, McGregor complained that the weight difference was too much to overcome. That makes you wonder why he would want to fight Diaz again.

Report: Floyd Mayweather has offered Conor McGregor $50 million to fight

Floyd Mayweather smiling

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has reportedly started to talk numbers with Conor McGregor, but he is going to have to offer the UFC featherweight champion a lot more if a fight is going to happen.

According to TMZ, Mayweather has offered McGregor $50 million for a fight that would take place on New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas. Floyd has already said numerous times that he would have to get at least $100 million guaranteed to fight McGregor, and the Irishman is reportedly not open to making half — or far less than half — of what Mayweather will rake in.

As TMZ notes, Dana White would have to sign off on any fight between Mayweather and McGregor, as McGregor is under contract with the UFC. White and McGregor recently met face to face and sorted out their differences, but it’s unclear if they discussed future UFC fights for McGregor or the potential bout against Mayweather.

McGregor could make the argument that he is just as big of a draw as Mayweather at the moment, especially in overseas markets.

Mayweather is all about his image, and some people feel that he retired with a perfect 49-0 record so he could build the hype and come back at some point to go for his 50th victory. A boxing vs. MMA fight still seems extremely far-fetched, but Mayweather says he believes it will happen. McGregor did his part to stoke the fire by sharing this poster on social media.

Floyd Mayweather wants to sign Jon Jones

Floyd Mayweather smile

Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s career as a boxer appears to be close to over, but that does not mean he is anywhere near done making his mark on the combat sports.

Mayweather also runs Mayweather Promotions and has about 20 fighters signed. He has made it clear that he would like to expand into promoting MMA fighters. One thing he would like to do is sign UFC pound-for-pound king Jon Jones.

“Jon Jones is with the MMA but we still got to communicate. We’d love to have Jon Jones be a part of TMT (The Money Team),” Mayweather told ESNews in an interview on Friday. “It’s not just about us making money; it’s about the talent winning. We believe in the talent winning when it is all said and done.”

It’s unclear exactly how Mayweather would partner with Jones as Jones is already signed with the UFC. But between his talk about fighting Conor McGregor and his desire to sign Jones, it’s obvious Mayweather has his eyes on integrating an MMA element into his promotional company.

At the very least, maybe the two could spar in the ring so Floyd could prove Jones wrong.

Floyd Mayweather thinks Conor McGregor fight will ‘absolutely’ happen

Floyd-Mayweather-Conor-McGregor

Even though the chances of Floyd Mayweather Jr. ever fighting Conor McGregor are incredibly slim, the undefeated boxing champion is intent on keeping the public interested.

Mayweather, who loves the spotlight and has always been a fantastic promoter, was asked again about the McGregor rumors during an interview with Showtime Friday night. When the host gave him a chance to admit he was just “looking for attention,” Floyd doubled down.

“Well, it’s really not a rumor,” he said. “The fight may happen. We really don’t know as of right now. But do I think the fight will happen? Absolutely.”

Mayweather said last weekend that a fight with McGregor is a possibility, so he has upgraded the chances. He said the bout would have to be a boxing match because most fights McGregor won were as a stand-up fighter anyway. Floyd even went as far as to say McGregor could give him a “tough” fight.

“He’s no pushover. One thing about Conor McGregor, he’s no pushover,” Mayweather said. “He fell short in his last bout, but a true champion can always bounce back. That’s a guy I can’t overlook.”

No details like a venue or financial terms have been discussed, but Mayweather reiterated that he would have to get at least $100 million for the fight.

Everyone knows Mayweather and McGregor love publicity, and that is part of what makes them the biggest draws in their respective sports. McGregor already did his part to fuel speculation about an unprecedented MMA vs. boxing fight when he tweeted this photo of a fake promotion poster. He then sent this tweet on Saturday:

Despite all that, there still aren’t many people who believe it will actually happen.

Wanderlei Silva hit by car while riding bike, needed shoulder surgery

Wanderlei-Silva

Former UFC middleweight and lightweight champion Wanderlei Silva revealed Wednesday that he was hit by a car while riding his bike.

In a Facebook statement that was translated by Bloody Elbow, a representative for Silva informed fans that the MMA legend suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery.

“We inform that Wand has been in an accident,” the statement read. “A car hit him while he was returning home on his bike following a training session. Because of that, he injured his shoulder and undergoes surgery today. We ask for your prayers for our champion.”

Silva, 39, has been suspended from MMA fights since May 2014 for dodging a drug test around the time he was supposed to fight Chael Sonnen. He will be eligible for reinstatement in May 2017, though it’s unclear how his latest injury will affect his fighting career.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA