Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditSaturday, May 15, 2021

MMA

Dana White takes ‘cocaine’ shot at Oscar De La Hoya

Dana White

Oscar De La Hoya recently announced that he is coming out of retirement, and Dana White believes there’s a very specific reason the 47-year-old wants to fight again.

White, who has long had beef with De La Hoya, was asked on Saturday night about De La Hoya’s big announcement. The UFC president mocked De La Hoya by saying “cocaine isn’t cheap.”

De La Hoya has had well-publicized issues with drug and alcohol addiction, which is likely what White was referring to. It’s also well known that the two do not get along.

White and De La Hoya clashed a few years back over conflicting business interests. De La Hoya, who has been promoting fights since he retired, took issue with the fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. and said it was disrespecting the sport of boxing. That led to White taking shots at De La Hoya over his addiction problems. The bad blood apparently still lingers.

UFC’s Justin Gaethje trying to hunt down man who stole bike from his garage

Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje has made a career out of pummeling opponents inside the Octagon, and the MMA fighter would love to do the same to a man who stole from him this week.

Gaethje took to Twitter on Wednesday and posted a photo of a man who he claims stole an expensive bike from the UFC star’s garage at his Colorado home. Gaethje says he has several photos of the man that prove he stole his Rambo R1000XP. The bike retails for around $4,500.

Gaethje said he was in the middle of doing yard work when the theft took place. He insisted he would have taken matters into his own hands, but the thief left eight minutes before Gaethje walked outside.

Gaethje won the interim lightweight championship back in May when he knocked out Tony Ferguson. His next fight will be against Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 254 on Oct. 24.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA

Gina Carano mocks censored Instagram photo with new picture

Gina Carano

Gina Carano made light of the photo that got censored by Instagram with a new post this week.

On Monday, Carano posted a drawing that reflected her silhouette. The photo was labeled “censored.”

View this post on Instagram

“Censored” by @dasoulartist

A post shared by G I N A JY C A R A N O (@ginajcarano) on

So what’s the story?

The MMA fighter-turned-actor posted a photo of herself on Instagram in June. She was posing nude, but it was done tastefully from the waist up, and not much was revealed. Instagram still removed the photo.

Carano later complained that she was censored for no reason and now is mocking the whole situation.

The 38-year-old helped popularize women’s MMA when she fought from 2006-2009, paving the way for Ronda Rousey and others. She has since starred in 11 movies and four TV shows.

Jon Jones vacating light heavyweight title, wants more money from UFC

Jon “Bones” Jones is giving up his light heavyweight title, and the UFC star says Dana White will have to give him more money if he’s ever going to fight in the Octagon again.

Jones announced on social media Monday that he is officially vacating his light heavyweight title. He then followed up by saying he wants to fight in the heavyweight division but will not do so unless the UFC is willing to pay him more.

This seems like strictly a business move from Jones, who expressed frustration earlier this year with White and the UFC over his and other fighters’ pay scales. Jones wanted to move up to the heavyweight division to fight Francis Ngannou, but he said UFC would not give him an increase in pay to take a more risky fight. White said Jones was looking for “Deontay Wilder money,” which is a reference to the boxer making more than $20 million for his fights. Jones fired back by saying he was not looking for that much but that UFC fighters have always been underpaid relative to the money pay-per-views generate.

If White is unwilling to negotiate with Jones, the 33-year-old recently proposed another idea for how he can make money fighting.

Jones won the previously vacant light heavyweight championship when he defeated Alexander Gustafsson on Dec. 29, 2018. He then defended the title three teams, with his most recent win coming against Dominick Reyes back in February. That victory improved Jones’ record to 26-1.

Paige VanZant explains risking her ‘pretty face’ in Bare Knuckle Fighting

Paige VanZant

Paige VanZant has left the UFC after contract issues with the organization and has made her next move, which left many surprised.

VanZant announced on Wednesday that she has joined Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship, where she’s under contract to fight four times. VanZant’s first of four fights for the organization could come in November, according to ESPN’s report on the subject.

VanZant shared her reason for moving to Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship, and she says she wants to prove a point.

“I feel like I still have this stigma in MMA that I’m just a pretty face, and what a way to prove to people that’s not the way I see myself at all. This is a sport where people probably have the highest rate of getting cut open and having long-term scars is definitely something that I’m not even worried about for me. It’s just the love of competition and I’m really excited to go out there and show off in such an amazing sport,” VanZant said, via ESPN’s Ariel Helwani.

VanZant is known for her good looks in addition to her fighting ability, as she referenced, and she wants to show she is not afraid to mess with that. Fighting without gloves does lead to more cuts and facial damage for participants, which makes VanZant’s decision so curious.

The 26-year-old has gone 8-5 in pro MMA and was disappointed with the pay she received from the UFC, where she went 5-4. She said she had multiple contract offers after her UFC contract expired and chose Bare Knuckle Fighting. Her deal reportedly will pay her $1 million with incentives.

Derrick Lewis got a little too personal in postfight interview

Damien Lewis

Derrick Lewis got a little too personal during his postfight interview after beating Aleksei Oleinik on Saturday night.

Lewis defeating Oleinik via second-round TKO at UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas. He conducted a postfight interview with Paul Felder on ESPN+ afterwards and was asked about setting the record for the most knockouts in UFC heavyweight history.

Lewis didn’t answer but instead said “I gotta take a s—.”

Lewis played it off like he didn’t realize he was on air at the time, but this is Lewis we’re talking about, and he’s said much worse during interviews. He seems to enjoy letting a little loose after wins.

The 35-year-old fighter is now 24-7 with one no contest in his pro career. He believes that Curtis Blaydes, Francis Ngannou and Alistair Overeem make sense as potential next opponents.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA

Floyd Mayweather says he barely needed any training to beat Conor McGregor

Floyd Mayweather

Conor McGregor made fans think he had a legitimate chance to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. a few years back when he came out and took the first three rounds, but Floyd insists that was all part of his plan. Looking back on the 2017 bout, Mayweather makes it seem like it was a fairly easy win.

As Jack Fig of The Sun pointed out, Mayweather told Drink Champs earlier this year that he did not train all that hard in advance of his fight against McGregor. He insists he took the match seriously but said there were stretches where he would go a week without getting in the gym.

“For Conor McGregor, I didn’t really train,” Mayweather said. “All I did was do push-ups and sit-ups. That’s all I did. Push-ups and sit-ups, box a few times, hit the bag a few times.”

Mayweather’s conditioning was clearly superior to McGregor’s, which is why Floyd won by TKO in the 10th round. McGregor looked like he had barely anything left in the tank late in the fight.

Mayweather’s win over McGregor gave him a record of 50-0 for his career, and he said after the fight that he was retired. He has since teased a return on a few different occasions, but no official plans have been announced.

UFC fighter Davey Grant suffers broken nose, jaw in UFC 251 fight

Davey Grant scored what may have been the best knockout of UFC 251 in the first fight of the night on Saturday night, and it came with a big cost.

After Grant knocked out Martin Day at the UFC Fight Island Event in Abu Dhabi, the bantamweight was heard telling UFC president Dana White that he broke his jaw during the fight. He campaigned for White to give him the $50,000 “Performance of the Night” bonus. Grant later confirmed on Twitter that he suffered a broken jaw in two places and also broke his nose.

Grant was knocked down by Day in the first round, but he was able to battle back and drop Day with a vicious knockout punch in the third round. It looked like Day was out cold, and the referee immediately stepped in to stop the fight.

UFC Fight Island was an overall success, and multiple fighters suffered some nasty injuries in their hard-fought bouts. Grant ended up earning the “Performance of the Night” bonus, which he told White would “change my life.”

Rose Namajunas ends up with nasty eye after win over Jessica Andrade at UFC 251

Rose Namajunas

Rose Namajunas may have ended up with a win over Jessica Andrade at UFC 251 on Sunday in Abu Dhabi (Saturday in America), but she paid a physical price.

Namajunas won via split decision but was seen with a huge mouse under her left eye after the fight.

Andrade started to do some damage in the third round of the fight, landing a couple of big right hands that nailed Namajunas, who was bleeding from the nose. The fight got exciting in the final round with body fighters doing damage.

Two judges scored the fight 29-28 for Namajunas, and the third had it 29-28 for Andrade. The two fighters have now split their two bouts as Andrade won their fight at UFC 237 last year in Brazil.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA

UFC fighter Mike Perry to seek treatment for alcohol issues

Mike Perry punch

The UFC on Thursday issued a statement regarding Mike Perry, who was shown punching a man and acting obnoxiously in a video that circulated on Wednesday.

Perry was leaving a bar in Lubbock, Texas and ended up punching a man. He curses and uses the N-word numerous times during the incident and appears to be drunk.

The UFC said in its statement that Perry is seeking treatment and that they will not schedule a fight for him.

“UFC is aware and troubled by the video that was released last night concerning Mike Perry. The conduct displayed by Perry is not reflective of that of our organization. Perry apologized for his behavior and acknowledged he was disappointed with himself that his actions may have reflected poorly on UFC. He further acknowledged that he believes he has some issues related to alcohol abuse and has informed UFC that he has committed to immediately seek professional treatment, including substance and behavioral counseling. At this time, UFC has informed Perry that he will not be offered a bout, and the parties have agreed to evaluate next steps for Perry following the completion of his treatment program,” the statement says.

Perry was making his way out of Table 82 on Tuesday night after being asked to leave. He felt like people touched him on his way out, to which he objected. TMZ, citing the police report, says the man who was punched was taken to the hospital.

Perry, 28, is 14-6 overall, including a win over Mickey Gall on June 27.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA