Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditWednesday, April 14, 2021

MMA

Conor McGregor says Dustin Poirier fight is off after charity snub story

Conor McGregor

Dustin Poirier made a surprising claim over the weekend that Conor McGregor ghosted him on a charity donation after the two fought back in January, and McGregor is so irate about the situation that he claims he is backing out of his rematch against Poirier.

In response to some trash talk on Sunday, Poirier tweeted that McGregor promised to make a donation to his charity, The Good Fight Foundation, after the two fought earlier this year. Poirier said McGregor’s team stopped responding after Poirier knocked out The Notorious at UFC 257. McGregor fired back by claiming there was no set plan for where the money would be going.

It appears McGregor only became more angry after sleeping on it. The former lightweight champion took to social media again on Monday to unload on Poirier. McGregor said he is calling off the third fight between the two, which is supposed to take place at UFC 264 on July 10. We’ve edited the tweets for profanity.

“You’re ripped you inbred hillbilly. Why do you wink with your ears? You f—ing brain dead hillbilly. 500k with no plan in place. Ye hang tight. Fool. You must be new to money. The fight is off btw. I’m going to fight someone else on the 10th. Good luck on your old contract kid,” McGregor wrote.

McGregor then defended his past charitable donations and said there is a process that accompanies making them.

“My team does their due diligence to make sure every donation meets the mark,” he wrote. “My generosity is known. You will pay with your brain for this attempt at smearing my name. Shooting a– shelling a– b—h. Little b—h kicks from a shell. Good luck when you’re caught. You’re f—ed.”

We wouldn’t write the fight off just yet. McGregor is a master promotor, which is why he remains so popular even after losing two of his last three fights. This could simply be his and Poirier’s way of trying to build more hype for the rematch.

McGregor was knocked out by Poirier in the second round back in January. Some hilarious memes were created of him laying on the mat (see them here), so we’d be surprised if he didn’t want another shot at Poirier.

Jon Jones deletes tweets asking for UFC to cut him

Jon Jones UFC

Jon Jones deleted some tweets on Monday in which he vented about his status with the UFC.

The 33-year-old last fought in February 2020, when he successfully defended his UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. He has spent time preparing for a move up to the heavyweight division, but he has not secured a fight yet.

After watching Francis Ngannou beat Stipe Miocic at UFC 260 on Saturday, Jones sent a message to the UFC. He wants them to step up and give him more money to fight Ngannou.

The UFC does not appear to be meeting Jones’ financial desires, which led the fighter to send some tweets out of frustration. On Monday, Jones told the UFC to just release him already and said their handling of him was “depressing.”

Jones has consistently expressed a desire for more pay, which he believes he deserves considering the growth of the company.

Will the UFC improve its financial terms for Jones? If not, they may aim to have Ngannou fight Derrick Lewis instead.

Stipe Miocic taken to hospital after UFC 260 loss

Stipe Miocic

Stipe Miocic was taken to the hospital as a precaution after losing to Francis Ngannou at UFC 260 in Las Vegas on Saturday night.

Miocic beat Ngannou in 2018 for his third defense of his UFC Heavyweight Championship. But Ngannou beat him this time, knocking him out in the second round of their fight to become the new heavyweight champ.

Ngannou caught Miocic with big left hands twice in the second round. The first knocked Miocic into the cage and led to plenty of follow-up damage. Then about 10 seconds later, Ngannou dropped Miocic for good with a huge left.

The defeat marked Miocic’s first since his loss to Daniel Cormier in 2018. He was taken to the hospital after the loss for a CT scan, according to the UFC.

Miocic, 38, is now 20-4. 18 of his 24 professional fights have ended in knockouts.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA

Jon Jones shares simple message after Francis Ngannou’s win

Jon Jones UFC

Jon Jones shared a simple message on Saturday night after Francis Ngannou had a big win over Stipe Miocic at UFC 260 in Las Vegas.

Ngannou knocked out Miocic in the second round of their fight, avenging a loss to Miocic in 2018. Ngannou (16-3, 12 KOs) is now the UFC Heavyweight Champion. Jones has moved up from light heavyweight to heavyweight and would be prepared to fight Ngannou. Only he has one message: meet my price tag.

UFC boss Dana White questioned whether Jones actually wants to fight Ngannou after Francis’ performance on Saturday night. White suggested that Jones might want to move down in weight to avoid Ngannou.

Jones said there was no way he was dropping back down after putting on so much weight.

If Jones doesn’t come through with a fight, Ngannou could try to rematch with Derrick Lewis, who beat him in 2018.

Petr Yan apologizes to Aljamain Sterling on Twitter for illegal knee

Petr Yan

Petr Yan apologized to Aljamain Sterling on Twitter Saturday night after being disqualified from their fight due to an illegal knee.

Yan and Sterling were in the fourth round of their bantamweight fight at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nev. Sterling had a leg on the mat when Yan drilled him with a knee to the head.

Yan, who was leading two rounds to one on the judges’ cards, was disqualified from the fight due to the illegal move. That marked the first time a UFC title changed hands due to a disqualification.

Yan felt badly about the move and apologized via Twitter. He called it a “big mistake.”

This is only Yan’s second professional MMA loss and first since he joined the UFC.

Sterling says he is ready and willing to fight Yan again.

Sterling, 31, is now 20-3. Yan is 15-2.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA

Jon Jones talks trash after Israel Adesanya loses to Jan Blachowicz

Jon Jones

Jon Jones couldn’t wait to unload the trash talk on Twitter after Israel Adesanya lost on Saturday night.

Adesanya lost to Jan Blachowicz at UFC 259 in Las Vegas, Nev. for his first professional loss. He was previously 20-0 and had stepped up for his UFC light heavyweight debut, but Blachowicz beat him via unanimous decision.

Jones, who vacated the light heavyweight title to pursue the heavyweight title, started talking his trash on Twitter.

“Can’t wait to make this b-tch eat his words,” Jones said on one tweet (edited by LBS for profanity).

Then Jones decided fighting and beating Adesanya wouldn’t even be worth it.

“If you ever wrote me talking s–t about Izzy beating me, slap yourself,” Jones wrote in another tweet after Adesanya lost.

Jones even appeared to mock Adesanya’s “dare to be great” saying.

Jones and Adesanya were headed for a collision in December, but that probably won’t be happening now that Adesanya failed to hold up things on his end.

Jones has held the throne as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC, and Adesanya was trying to challenge him. The Last Stylebender has a lot of work to do to catch up to Jones.

Conor McGregor bought out of ownership stake in Proper No. Twelve whiskey

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has become just as well known for hawking his whiskey brand over the last few years as he has been for fighting. But his connection with the alcohol company may be loosening.

In 2018, McGregor and a few business partners launched Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey. The new alcohol brand was worked into McGregor’s deal with the UFC, which allowed him to promote it before, during and after his fights.

McGregor and his two business partners originally owned 80 percent of the company, while Becle, a Mexican drinks conglomerate, owned the other 20 percent. Over time, Becle increased its ownership stake in the company. First they increased their stake to 49 percent in 2020 at a valuation of $235 million. Then, as Whisky Cast reported on Monday, Becle recently acquired the other 51 percent. The deal for the remaining 51 percent stake is expected to close in the second quarter of 2021.

If Becle now owns 100 percent of the company, that suggests McGregor sold his share for a large amount of money. It also calls into question what kind of association the popular 32-year-old fighter will have with the brand moving forward.

McGregor has fought in MMA three times since 2017 and lost most recently to Dustin Poirier in January. He has also been involved in other issues, including an incident with a man at a bar over his whiskey brand in 2019.

Here is a video of McGregor promoting Proper No. Twelve.

Dana White reveals he once lost $1 million betting on a boxing fight

Dana White

Dana White is a self-proclaimed gambling degenerate, and he once experienced a 7-figure loss.

White joined ESPN’s “Daily Wager” program last week and talked about sports betting. White says he enjoys betting on sports because it makes the game more interesting and said he is happy that states are legalizing it.

The UFC boss also revealed that he lost $1 million betting on a boxing fight in 2007.

White was asked about a bet that still bothers him. He recalled when Jermain Taylor lost to Kelly Pavlik.

“I bet $1 million on Taylor, and he got destroyed,” White recalled. “It was the first time I ever bet $1 million dollars because I was so confident Taylor was going to win that fight.”

White really brought back some memories by invoking Taylor and Pavlik. And if you have the kind of money he has now, $1 million isn’t a huge sum the way it is for the rest of us. Sadly, many of us do have similar stories about money we’ve lost betting on sports events.

Dan Le Batard rips ESPN for not defending Ariel Helwani against Dana White

Dan Le Batard

Dan Le Batard was not on good terms with ESPN when he parted ways with the network late last year, and he is once again criticizing his former employer.

MMA star-turned-actor Gina Carano was fired from her role in the series “The Mandalorian” earlier this week over some controversial remarks she made on social media. Carano compared the way German people turned on their Jewish neighbors prior to the Holocaust to the way people have turned against those with right wing political views. ESPN MMA insider Ariel Helwani, who is Jewish, shared his thoughts on Carano’s rant in a video he posted on Instagram.

UFC president Dana White defended Carano for making a mistake and said people should leave her alone. He then chastised Helwani for making it “all about him” and called the journalist a nasty word.

Ryan Glasspiegel reached out to ESPN for a comment on White insulting Helwani, but the network chose not to respond. Le Batard called out ESPN for being “complicit” by not defending Helwani.

Helwani is one of the most respected reporters in MMA. Since he’s also Jewish, it makes sense that he addressed Carano’s remarks. You’d expect ESPN to defend him, but perhaps Le Batard is right that the network is being conscious of its business relationship with White.

We know by one of the moves Le Batard pulled before leaving ESPN that he is always looking for an opportunity to take a shot at the network.

Gina Carano fired by Lucasfilm from ‘The Mandalorian’ over conservative social media posts

Gina Carano

MMA star-turned-actor Gina Carano has been fired by Lucasfilm from her role as Cara Dune on “The Mandalorian” over her social media activity.

Carano, 38, last fought in MMA in 2009, and got into acting around the same time. She was cast in the role as Dune for “The Mandalorian,” which debuted on Disney+ in 2019 and has aired for two seasons.

Carano has been at the center of numerous controversies on social media over the past year. She has repeatedly questioned government decisions and policies related the COVID-19 pandemic, such as lockdowns and mask-wearing. She also mocked people who put gender pronouns in their social media profiles.

The post on Wednesday that triggered the firing came on Carano’s Instagram Story. Carano compared the way German people turned on their Jewish neighbors prior to the Holocaust to the way people have turned against those with (ostensibly) right wing political views.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views,” the post read.

She later deleted the post.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” Lucasfilm said in a statement released on Wednesday. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

A “fire Gina Carano” hashtag trended on social media Wednesday. That was not the first time the cancel culture mob went after Carano over social media, which is the real reason why she was fired.

“They have been looking for a reason to fire her for two months, and today was the final straw,” a source told The Hollywood Reporter.

Carano had been pushing boundaries for months with her social media activity and seems to enjoy it. She probably had to know that at some point this was going to happen. This outcome likely puts into serious doubt any spinoff show her character might have received on Disney+.