Performance-enhancing drugs played a large role in both the rise and the fall of Lance Armstrong. Even though his use and subsequent lies about taking substances have helped turned Armstrong into a figure despised by many, he still is not completely opposed to them.
Armstrong was interviewed for the two-part documentary about him called “Lance” that is being aired by ESPN. He was asked how he would feel if his son, a college football, said he wanted to take PEDs.
"I would say that's a bad idea."
Lance Armstrong talks about what he would tell his son if he wanted to try performance enhancing drugs. pic.twitter.com/xxzY7ebU90
— 30 for 30 (@30for30) June 1, 2020
“I would say that’s a bad idea. You’re a freshman in college. It might be a different conversation if you’re in the NFL. But at this point in your life and your career, not worth it,” Armstrong said.
The quote makes it clear that Armstrong is open to PEDs for his son depending on the circumstances. It has to be factored into a cost-benefit analysis for him. And what does that mean? He still endorses cheating, which is why so many people dislike him.
- Lance Armstrong
Emmanuel Clase may have to wait until 2021 to make his debut with the Cleveland Indians, as the relief pitcher has been suspended for performance-enhancing drug use.
Clase, who was the key piece the Indians acquired from the Texas Rangers as part of the Corey Kluber trade over the winter, has been suspended 80 games for testing positive for a banned substance called Boldenone. The Indians said in a statement that they are “disappointed” but will welcome the 22-year-old back after he serves the suspension.
The suspension doesn’t begin until the season actually begins. Here’s a statement from the Indians: pic.twitter.com/iHdhazMLRp
— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) May 1, 2020
Clase is considered an excellent pitching prospect. The right-hander was impressive in 21 appearances for the Rangers last season, posting a 2.31 ERA with 21 strikeouts in 23 1/3 innings.
Should the MLB season be shortened, Clase may not pitch at all for the Indians in 2020.
- Emmanuel Clase
The Houston Astros are cheaters in more ways than one.
Pitcher Francis Martes has been suspended 162 games for testing positive for the performance-enhancing drug Boldenone.
Astros pitcher Francis Martes suspended 162 games without pay after testing positive for Boldenone, a performance-enhancing drug. He was previously suspended for a similar violation in March.
— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) February 17, 2020
This is Martes’ second suspension for PEDs, which explains why his suspension is for a season’s worth of games. His suspension last year came when he was rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.
The 24-year-old pitcher went 5-2 with a 5.80 ERA in 54.1 innings last season. He was once a top prospect but has struggled in his last three seasons across all levels in which he has played.
- Francis Martes
The Minnesota Twins’ playoff push took a significant hit Saturday when a key starting pitcher was busted for use of a banned drug.
According to ESPN’s Jeff Passan, pitcher Michael Pineda has been suspended for 60 games for a drug violation. The suspension was reduced on appeal from 80 games, as he was able to make the case that the banned diuretic was not meant to mask PED use.
Twins starter Michael Pineda has been suspended for 60 games for a drug violation, sources tell ESPN. He originally got an 80-game suspension, but it was reduced to 60 on appeal, as a compelling case was made that a banned diuretic he used was not a masking agent for PEDs.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) September 7, 2019
The appeal doesn’t do much good for Minnesota now. He won’t pitch again in 2019, and that includes any playoff games the Twins might play. The 30-year-old had made 26 starts for Minnesota this season, going 11-5 with a 4.01 ERA. His previous brushes with illegal behavior were generally with regard to overly blatant use of pine tar while with the New York Yankees.
- Michael Pineda
The Oakland Raiders will be without cornerback Nevin Lawson for the first four games of the upcoming season.
Lawson announced on Twitter Monday that he has been suspended for a violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drugs policy. Lawson says he tested positive for ostarine, an illegal substance that can mimic testosterone. Lawson said in his statement he unknowingly ingested the substance.
— Nevin Lawson (@nevin_lawson) August 6, 2019
Lawson, 28, signed a one-year deal with the Raiders in March after spending the first five seasons of his career with the Detroit Lions. The former fourth-round pick out of Utah State had 53 tackles and five passes defended last season. He was set to make $3.02 million this season.
- Nevin Lawson
Benjamin Watson briefly decided to retire before changing his mind following the 2018 season, but he apparently stopped adhering to the NFL’s drug policy for long enough that he will have to sit out a portion of the upcoming year.
In a lengthy Facebook post on Sunday, Watson revelaed that he has been suspended for the first four games of the 2019 season for testing positive for a banned substance. That substance was testosterone, and Watson says a doctor recommended he start taking it to help his body heal after suffering so many injuries over the years.
“As a professional athlete for the last 15 years I know very well the limitations on what can be prescribed for my overall health,” Watson wrote. “After my contract expired last March I told my doctors I was finished playing, went through a series of medical tests and was prescribed Bio Identical Testosterone Cypionate to assist in healing my body and mind.”
Watson said he “had forgotten all about my (drug) test” in March because he had considered himself retired before taking testosterone, but he understands the NFL’s policy and why it needed to be enforced. He added that he is disappointed he will not be able to contribute right away with the New England Patriots and.
We’ve heard plenty of excuses over the years for why NFL players test positive for banned substances, but Watson’s seems at least somewhat credible.
- Ben Watson
Los Angeles Chargers defensive tackle Corey Liuget is suing his former trainer for $15 million over a failed performance-enhancing drugs test.
Liuget is currently serving a four-game suspension after testing positive for PEDs. In his lawsuit, Liuget claims that his trainer, a former Canadian bobsled member, injected him with a substance last year that triggered the positive test, according to ESPN. Liuget says he was led to believe the substance was an over-the-counter product. Liuget also says he was injected with a prescription substance despite him not having a prescription.
The suit says the trainer administered the injections in California, where he does not have a license to give injections.
Liuget was a 2011 first-round pick by the Chargers. He is recovering from foot surgery and restructured his contract to remain with the team. He had 21 tackles in 12 games last season.