The New Orleans Saints could be without their most dangerous return man at the start of the season, as wide receiver Deonte Harris is facing a suspension over a recent arrest.
According to court records obtained by Amie Just of NOLA.com, Harris was arrested in Towson, Md., on July 16 for suspicion of driving while under the influence. He was also issued several citations including negligent driving, reckless driving, failure to obey traffic control device instructions, and exceeding the speed limit. Police say Harris was stopped for driving 77 mph in a 55-mph zone.
The NFL typically hands down a two-game suspension for a player’s first DUI offense. While the league is still investigating the incident, a two-game ban seems likely for Harris.
Harris was named a Pro Bowler and All-Pro in his rookie season two years ago after he led the NFL punt returns, combined returns and punt return yards. He missed some time due to injury last year.
The Saints were dealt a major blow recently when star wide receiver Michael Thomas had to undergo ankle surgery. He is expected to miss several games at the start of the season. If Harris is suspended, that will make New Orleans even thinner at the wide receiver position.
New Orleans Pelicans center Jaxson Hayes was reportedly arrested after a confrontation with police turned violent enough to put him and an officer in the hospital.
According to TMZ Sports, police were called to a Los Angeles-area home for a domestic disturbance early Wednesday. Upon arriving at the scene, they found Hayes unwilling to let law enforcement enter the premises. Hayes became combative with cops, leading to a scuffle that led to Hayes being tased.
The fight was significant enough that police put out a call for further help. Hayes was hospitalized with minor injuries, and an officer involved was also hospitalized. Their condition is unknown at this time.
Hayes will likely face a charge of felony battery on a police officer. The domestic incident remains under investigation, though both parties have so far refused to cooperate with police.
The 21-year-old Hayes was the No. 8 overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. He averaged 7.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game in a primarily reserve role for the Pelicans last season. He made headlines as a rookie for an angry video he made after being left out of the Rising Stars Challenge during All-Star Weekend.
According to a police report, Haskins told police that Gondrezick punched him and chipped one of his teeth during a fight at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas on July 3. A piece of a tooth was found on the floor at the hotel.
“I want her out of my room,” Haskins told a security officer at The Cosmopolitan, 8 News Now reported. “She hit me and cut my lip open.”
Earlier this week, we and other outlets published stories saying that Haskins and his girlfriend Kalabrya Gondrezick had gotten engaged. That was based off Haskins getting down on a knee to propose, and Gondrezick showing off her ring.
Apparently that information is incorrect.
Gondrezick told police the two were actually married in March and were in Las Vegas to renew their vows. They reportedly fought over plans for the evening. Gondrezick and her friends were going to a “Magic Mike” show, while Haskins and his friends were going to a nightclub, Drai’s.
Despite the physical altercation between the two, both Haskins and Gondrezick shared their relationship news publicly on July 12. They oddly presented the news as an engagement even though they reportedly were married in March.
According to audio released by TMZ, his wife told the 911 dispatcher that Sherman was “drunk and belligerent and threatening to kill himself.”
“He’s being aggressive. He has sent text messages … he’s trying to leave now … he’s wrestling with my uncle. He’s threatening to kill himself. He’s sent text messages to people saying he’s going to hang himself,” Ashley Sherman told the dispatcher.
Sherman’s wife also told police that Sherman threatened to fight police if they showed up. She could be heard yelling to Richard asking him not to drive away.
Ashley Sherman said Richard drank a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Hennessey.
Sherman was being held without bail as of Wednesday morning. That is standard procedure in a domestic violence case until the person who was charged can appear in front of a judge. The five-time Pro Bowler missed 11 games last year with a calf injury.
Police gave an update into the status of an investigation into free agent cornerback Richard Sherman, adding more context to why the 33-year-old was taken into custody.
Redmond police chief Darrell Lowe said in a Wednesday news conference that Sherman allegedly attempted to enter the home of his in-laws, which is why police are considering a domestic violence charge. Lowe added that Sherman suffered minor injuries when resisting arrest after a police dog was deployed. Sherman may also face charges stemming from damage to the door of the residence he allegedly tried to enter. A police officer also suffered minor injuries.
Redmond Police says Sherman attempted to gain entry into a residence that was not his so that's why there is a burglary component. Sherman could also be charged with malicious mischief.
Police confirmed that Sherman is also being investigated over a possible hit-and-run and DUI. Washington State Patrol Captain Ron Mead said Sherman’s car sustained significant damage after hitting a barrier. Results of a blood draw are pending. Sherman’s vehicle also crossed into a closed construction zone, which is what led one of the workers to contact 911.
Washington State Patrol Captain Ron Mead says troopers pursued Richard Sherman after finding "pretty significant side-impact collision of the vehicle" after it hit a barrier. Vehicle found 1/2mi away not able to be driven further. Pursued him on the suspicion of DUI
Sherman could be facing charges of burglary domestic violence as the police investigation continues. He is still being held without bail until he can face a judge, which is standard procedure for domestic violence suspects. That is not expected to happen until Thursday.
Richard Sherman was booked on a charge of burglary domestic violence in the Seattle area on Wednesday morning, and he could face further legal trouble over a separate incident.
Washington State Police are also investigating Sherman in connection to a hit-and-run, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. Police say they received a call at around 1 a.m. PST of a single-car incident where a car struck a concrete barrier.
The driver apparently was able to drive the vehicle off the exit and abandoned it in a nearby parking lot. The registration was run, and it came back to Richard Sherman. https://t.co/WvJgxn9OfX
That incident would have occurred a few hours before the one that resulted in Sherman being booked and charged. Public records indicate that Sherman was charged with burglary domestic violence at 6:08 a.m. Police say they responded to a 911 call at 2 a.m. from someone who said an adult male family member (presumably Sherman) was trying to force his way into a residence. The man does not live at the home. You can read more details here.
Sherman was being held without bail as of Wednesday morning. That is standard procedure in a domestic violence case until the person who was charged can appear in front of a judge.
Richard Sherman was charged with burglary domestic violence in the Seattle area on Wednesday morning, and we now have some more information about the alleged incident.
A spokesperson from the Redmond Police Department in Washington told ESPN’s Adam Schefter that a person (presumably Sherman but not named) was taken into custody following a 911 call at 2 a.m. PST. The person who made the 911 call said an adult male family member who did not live at the residence was trying to force his way into the home.
The suspect was located outside the home when police arrived, and he reportedly had a physical altercation with police before being apprehended. He was taken to a local hospital to be checked for injuries and then booked into the King County Correctional Facility when cleared.
Sherman was denied bail, but the police spokesperson told Schefter that is standard procedure for suspects in a domestic violence case. They are typically not granted bail until they can go before a judge.
Free agent cornerback Richard Sherman has found himself in some legal trouble.
King County public records show that Sherman was booked for “burglary domestic violence” at the Seattle Correctional Facility on Wednesday morning. His bail was denied, and the incident is under investigation as a possible felony.
News: King County public records show that Richard Sherman has been booked for “Burglary Domestic Violence.”
Denver Police arrested four people at the Maven Hotel in Denver, Colo. on Friday on weapons possession charges after discovering multiple guns in their room, ABC 7 in Denver reported Saturday.
According to what ABC 7 reported, a maid discovered the guns and alerted authorities. The report says police “removed 16 long guns, body armor and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition from a room on the eighth floor of the Maven Hotel that had a balcony.”
The report states that based on the number of weapons and ammunition, as well as the hotel room’s vantage point, some feared a Las Vegas-style shooting. On Oct. 1, 2017, there was a mass shooting that originated from a hotel room in Las Vegas. The shooter aimed at attendees of the Route 91 Harvest and ended up killing 60 people and wounding 411.
The MLB All-Star Game is taking place at Coors Field on Tuesday. All-Star Game-related events span from Thursday, July 8 to Tuesday, July 13.
The four suspects include three men and a woman. One of the men reportedly posted on Facebook about a recent divorce and supposedly said he was going to “go out in a big way.”
Mingo was released on $25,000 bond on Friday. There are no details yet on the allegations that led to his arrest.
Mingo, who won a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots, is on his seventh team after signing with the Atlanta Falcons during the offseason.
“Our organization became aware of the allegations involving Barkevious Mingo today and are currently gathering information on this incident. The Falcons take the allegations very seriously and will continue to monitor the situation,” the Falcons said in a statement.
The team later cut Mingo.
Mingo, 30, was the No. 6 overall draft pick in 2013. The LSU product has also played for the Browns, Colts, Seahawks, Texans and Bears.
His attorney said the allegations were false.
“The allegations out of Tarrant County against my client are completely baseless. Barkevious Mingo is innocent. At this stage, our side has very limited information. What we do know is these allegations are from over two years ago and are completely untrue. Mr. Mingo is the victim of a false claim, and we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive. We are confident when the truth comes to light, my client will be fully exonerated.”