Former Michigan player won’t be charged for threatening Jim Harbaugh
A former Michigan football player who directed threatening tweets toward head coach Jim Harbaugh last month is seemingly off the hook — at least from a legal standpoint.
Melissa Overton, deputy chief of the University of Michigan Police Department, confirmed to Aaron McMann of MLive.com on Tuesday that former Wolverines linebacker Elysee Mbem-Bosse will not be facing any charges.
“No charges were filed and no arrests were made,” Overton said in an email.
Police launched an investigation on April 16 after a series of disturbing tweets were posted on Mbem-Bosse’s account, but they never formally named a suspect. Mbem-Bosse appeared to be angry that the Michigan football team suspended him last year, and he made reference to gun laws and a morgue in the tweets.
Mbem-Bosse has since apologized for sending the tweets, though he said he was “being harassed” by Michigan’s police department and that his civil rights have been violated. A Michigan spokesman confirmed last month that Mbem-Bosse is no longer with the team, and it goes without saying that he won’t be back next season.