Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditTuesday, August 11, 2020

Conor McGregor says he’ll return to the Octagon on January 18

Conor McGregor

The wait is over… UFC superstar Conor McGregor has announced that he will return to the Octagon on January 18 in Las Vegas, and he claims to even know who his opponent is. Of course, he wouldn’t reveal a name, implying the UFC would “flip” it if he did.

“Ask the UFC who the opponent is, because I do not give a [expletive] who the opponent is,” McGregor said at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday morning.

ESPN reports that Donald Cerrone and Justin Gaethje are considered the two most-likely opponents for McGregor, with Cerrone the current front-runner.

After several years of distractions — both in the Octagon and away from it — McGregor has promised to be “fully focused” on his upcoming fight at the T-Mobile Arena, adding that he’s already adjusted his sleep schedule and began training.

McGregor continued, saying the January 18 fight is just the “beginning” of his season and that he plans three fights in 2020. He already has his sights set on the winner between Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal, who will square off on November 2 at UFC 244.

And in his 2020 finale? McGregor says he’d like to fight the winner of a potential matchup between champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson, who bizarrely called Jon “Bones” Jones out earlier this week.

McGregor, who has a professional record of 21-4, has not fought since losing via submission to Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018.

Should there be a rematch, McGregor wants it to take place in Moscow.

“That is the bout we want,” McGregor said. “We want this bout in Moscow. The people of Russia deserve this bout to take place. The people of the world deserve this bout to take place.”

The 31-year-old McGregor has not won a UFC fight since he defeated Eddie Alvarez in 2016.

Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast!

Sports News Minute Podcast
comments powered by Disqus