A key portion of the Mookie Betts trade has reportedly fallen through.
According to LaVelle Neal of the StarTribune, the Minnesota Twins are pulling out of a three-team deal that would have sent Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Twins were poised to give up top prospect Brusdar Graterol while receiving Kenta Maeda from the Dodgers. The Red Sox took issue with Graterol’s medicals and demanded another player from the Twins.
On Saturday, after little progress was made in negotiations, the Twins made clear they would not be changing their end of the deal. However, a differing report from Alden Gonzalez says the Twins have not backed out.
Twins have not backed out of initial 3-team trade that would send Mookie Betts to the Dodgers, I'm told. They are willing to renegotiate and attempt to work through it, though whether it ultimately gets figured out is uncertain. All sides want a resolution by reporting date.
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) February 8, 2020
It seems Minnesota is playing hardball and saying they won’t give up anyone else.
The Twins backing out would mean the Red Sox and Dodgers would need to either make a deal directly or find a replacement team for the Twins to net the Red Sox the other prospect they seek. The Sox were preparing for this possibility on Friday, so there is a chance the deal will still be salvaged.
The terms of the original deal were reported Tuesday, and everything has been in a holding pattern since then. The Twins will miss a chance to upgrade their rotation, but will be able to hold onto a top pitching prospect. The Red Sox and Dodgers, however, are left scrambling to salvage a deal that both teams are motivated to make.
The Boston Red Sox have yet to finalize the trade that was supposed to send Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers, and they may have to find a new third team to bring into the mix in order to complete the deal.
The Red Sox were supposed to get 21-year-old pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol from the Minnesota Twins as part of the Betts deal, but Ken Rosenthal reported on Wednesday that Boston was unhappy with what they found in Graterol’s medical records. Now, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports that the Red Sox are trying to get an additional prospect from the Twins, but Minnesota is not having it.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 7, 2020
The complications have led to talk that the Betts deal may be nixed, but the Red Sox and Dodgers both appear committed to making sure it happens. Heyman adds that the two teams have been exploring ways to complete the deal without the Twins if need be.
There’s been a lot of back and forth between Red Sox and Twins to try to wrap up the Mookie mega deal. And just in case, the Red Sox and Dodgers are also looking at ways to do deal without the Twins, either directly or by using a different 3rd team.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 7, 2020
Obviously, the situation is less than ideal. It’s unclear why the Red Sox suddenly became concerned about Graterol’s medical records, as they knew he had Tommy John surgery in 2016. Skeptics have argued that Boston is trying to save face after fans and analysts bashed them for getting so little in return for Betts and David Price, who is also supposed to be heading to the Dodgers. We know at least one Red Sox player who would probably be thrilled if the deal fell through.
Depending upon who you believe, the Boston Red Sox may or may not have settled on a new manager.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reported on Friday morning that the Red Sox are planning to name Ron Roenicke their manager as soon as Major League Baseball concludes its investigation into the sign-stealing allegations against the team. Roenicke was Boston’s bench coach for the last two seasons under Alex Cora. However, the Red Sox issued a statement on Friday denying that they have completed their managerial search.
From the Red Sox: “Our managerial search is not yet completed. We will comment at the completion of the search.”
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) February 7, 2020
Keep in mind that Red Sox owner John Henry also owns the Boston Globe, so the Red Sox are throwing cold water on a report that one of their own employees put out, essentially.
According to a separate report from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Red Sox interviewed former Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons earlier in the week.
Former #BlueJays manager John Gibbons interviewed for #RedSox vacancy earlier this week, source tells The Athletic. Report from @PeteAbe says Sox plan to hire Ron Roenicke. Per @ChrisCotillo, team issued statement saying search is not yet complete.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 7, 2020
It’s possible that Abraham has inside information that the Red Sox did not want getting out, especially if they are waiting for MLB to conclude its investigation. Roenicke denied last month that he had knowledge of any sign-stealing, but he was with the team during the season in question. That could be why Boston prefers to wait until MLB issues its findings in the investigation.
There was some talk that the Red Sox might bring back a former fan favorite to manage the team now that Cora has been fired, but that is not going to happen. Depending upon what MLB’s investigation finds, some wonder if Boston could even bring Cora back at some point.
- Filed Under:
The Boston Red Sox are being investigated over allegations that they illegally used electronics to steal signs, and it sounds like Major League Baseball is handling the investigation the same way the league carried out its probe of the Houston Astros.
No players were disciplined after it was determined that the Astros had an elaborate sign-stealing scheme in place during their World Series season in 2017, and that’s because the players were granted immunity by MLB for providing information about the system. According to Mark Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the same was offered to Red Sox players.
On another hot topic, MLB commissioner Manfred said he is aiming to complete #RedSox investigation before camps open, as with #Astros probe players were given immunity to get info, there will be new guidelines this season on use of video
— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) February 6, 2020
Alex Cora, who was a bench coach in Houston in 2017, was not suspended when the findings were announced from the Houston investigation. However, that is only because MLB was waiting to see if he may have been guilty of additional infractions in Boston. The Red Sox have already fired Cora, which gives you an idea of the direction they believe the investigation is headed.
ESPN’s Buster Olney said recently that MLB is investigating “something specific” with the Red Sox, and there’s a feeling around the league that they were guilty of something.
"This is what I've heard from folks with knowledge of the questions that they're asking, that there is a feeling among them that they have something [on the Sox] … that there's something specific that they're working on"
— OMF (@OMFonWEEI) January 30, 2020
The Red Sox have been accused of illegally using the video replay room at Fenway Park to help decode opponents’ signals and relay them to hitters. MLB took steps to prevent teams from being able to engage in practices like that, which seems to prove the league knew about what was going on before the whistle was blown on both the Astros and Red Sox.
While it is widely assumed that the Red Sox are going to face a similar punishment to Houston, JD Martinez said recently that he believes MLB is going to determine there was nothing going on in Boston.
- Boston Red Sox
The Boston Red Sox may now be posturing in order to get their way in the Mookie Betts trade.
MLB Network insider Jon Heyman reported on Thursday that the Red Sox are trying to get more in the deal and that the trade is “not a certainty.”
Red Sox are said to be trying to reconfigure the part of the Betts 3-team deal with the Twins (meaning more than Graterol). While there’s still hope the mega deal gets done in some form, some involved are now suggesting it’s not a certainty.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 7, 2020
Word emerged from Ken Rosenthal on Wednesday night that there was a snag in the trade after the Red Sox took issue with what they found in Brusdar Graterol’s medical records. Graterol is a 21-year-old pitcher who had Tommy John surgery in 2016 and dealt with a shoulder impingement last year.
The Red Sox reportedly felt Graterol was more suited for a relief pitcher role rather than a starting pitcher role after reviewing his records, which makes them believe he is less valuable than they thought and that they should be getting more. Skeptics feel like Boston is trying to save face after being criticized for getting so little in return for the 2018 AL MVP and David Price.
The Los Angeles Dodgers have pulled off a huge trade that solidifies their status as a World Series contender.
The Dodgers on Tuesday acquired Mookie Betts and David Price from the Boston Red Sox. Boston reportedly is agreeing to pay cash to facilitate the trade. A third team, the Minnesota Twins, are also involved in the deal.
The Red Sox are getting Alex Verdugo back from the Dodgers, and Brusdar Graterol, a young relief pitcher, from the Twins.
Minnesota gets Kenta Maeda from the Dodgers to help their pitching rotation.
The Dodgers are the clear big winners. They get a year of Betts, who is a premier outfielder and all-around player. They also may have an advantage entering his free agency after the season; Betts is known to be seeking top dollar, and the Dodgers are one of the few teams that may be willing to pay him.
The Dodgers also get Price for the three remaining season he is under contract. Price only pitched 107.1 innings last season and is making $32 million, but if the Red Sox are paying a part of that down, Price is still effective enough to be worth it.
The Red Sox are clearly signaling they don’t believe they are a contender, which is hard to believe just two seasons after winning the World Series. They are looking to achieve financial flexibility and have added Verdugo, a 23-year-old outfielder who batted .294 with an .817 OPS last season, and doesn’t hit free agency until 2025. Graterol is only 21 and is said to have some great stuff.
And in a league of haves and have-nots, the Twins are firmly in the contender category. They signed Josh Donaldson, Rich Hill, Tyler Clippard, Homer Bailey and have added Maeda, who will be a quality starter for them.
The Dodgers remain the class of the NL West; the Red Sox are unlikely to be a top-end AL team this season but will be better in the future; and the Twins will be the class of the AL Central.
The Boston Red Sox have been engaged in trade talks with the Los Angeles Dodgers centered on star outfielder Mookie Betts, and there are many in the know who believe the deal is eventually going to be completed.
Peter Gammons spoke with three different National League sources on Sunday who view Betts being traded from Boston to Los Angeles as “inevitable.” The deal is not expected to include Gavin Lux, but outfielder Alex Verdugo is in play.
Three different NL folks today predicted Betts-to-L.A. is "inevitable." Consensus deal:Alex Verdugo, Inf Jeter Downs, pitcher, maybe A prospect. Think P is LH Caleb Ferguson, 95 MPH FB/CB guy, 113-39 K-BB in 93.1 IP, eventual starter. Got brushed off Gray
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) February 2, 2020
Verdugo hit .294 with 12 home runs and 44 RBIs in only 106 games for the Dodgers last season, so the Red Sox may view him as a viable replacement for Betts. The 23-year-old hit .327 against left-handed pitching in 2019 and is an above-average outfielder.
Betts is eligible to become a free agent next winter, and he has reportedly asked the Red Sox for an enormous contract. Boston is looking to trim payroll, so re-signing Betts does not seem likely.
The Red Sox would probably want to attach David Price and the $96 million he has remaining on his contract in any potential deal for Betts, but it seems unlikely that the Dodgers will take on his contract while also giving up decent prospects. If Boston asks for too much, the Dodgers or any other team could simply wait until next winter and try to sign Betts as a free agent.