Brock Lesnar failed two drug tests prior to his July 9 win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200, and the former heavyweight champion insists he mistakenly ingested the same banned substance twice.
Steven Marrocco of MMA Junkie reports that Lesnar’s camp has requested tests on an eye medication and a foot cream to determine if either substance contains clomiphene, which is an estrogen blocker that increases testosterone levels. Lesnar’s attorney, Howard Jacobs, said in a letter last month that the eye medication came back negative for clomiphene but the foot cream is still being tested.
“We are still investigating this matter (which investigation includes the ongoing testing of products used by Mr. Lesnar prior to the date of the positive test),” Jacobs wrote. “To provide further detail, I am advised that the testing laboratory (Korva Labs) initially tested an eye medication, which was negative for either clomiphene or clomiphene metabolites. Subsequent testing has been conducted on a foot cream; that testing has included three separate extraction attempts, all of which have failed. A fourth extraction attempt is being made by Korva Labs this week.”
The odds of proving Lesnar ingested a banned substance unknowingly are incredibly slim. Jon Jones also tested positive for clomiphene, and there have been some crazy rumors about how he ingested the substance. In the end, both fighters are likely to face some sort of suspension.
Brock Lesnar failed two drug tests prior to his win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200 and is facing a possible one-year suspension, but the heavyweight said recently he will not rule out fighting in the UFC again.
Alistair Overeem doesn’t see any way that will happen.
Overeem, who beat Lesnar in Brock’s last fight before his recent comeback, was asked by TMZ this week if he believes he could beat Lesnar again. His message was pretty clear.
“I don’t think he’s coming back, first (of all),” Overeem said. “Second, I mean he … never mind.”
It would be hard for Lesnar to return to the Octagon at this point. How would Dana White explain to this guy that he let Brock come back after all that? Even if Lesnar didn’t test positive, there’s a possibility the WWE was only allowing him to return to the UFC for one fight. Now that he is facing a possible one-year ban from mixed martial arts, a return seems even less likely.
Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones may have failed drug tests prior to UFC 200, but that does not necessarily mean the two will be suspended from competition for two years.
As MMA Fighting points out, Lesnar and Jones both tested positive for Hydroxy-clomiphene. The U.S Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) considers this substance (as well as the Letrozole Jones also tested positive for) to be “specified substances,” which means the two are facing a punishment of up to a year suspension rather than the standard two years.
World Anti-Doping Agency Code (read the 2015 code here) states that the substances are more susceptible to credible non-doping explanations, such as contaminated or tainted products.
USADA can even let the two off with just a warning. Meanwhile, the fighters can also request arbitration if they are dissatisfied with the penalty they receive.
One thing to note is that the USADA penalties the fighters face are different from the ones handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which only apply to Lesnar and Jones’ ability to fight in Nevada.
If you’ve been following the news lately, it seems to all be pointing to Jones potentially getting off with a light punishment. The most recent story suggested that Jones’ positive test was triggered by a sex medication. If that’s the case, his argument for a lesser penalty would be well supported.
If Brock Lesnar is genuinely being disciplined by the WWE for cutting Randy Orton with some brutal elbows in the ring during their match at SummerSlam on Sunday, then the punishment has to be different from the one Stephanie McMahon stated on Tuesday.
McMahon had said on RAW Monday that there will be “repercussions” for Lesnar. On Tuesday, she said Lesnar would be fined $500. Seriously. $500. Brock makes more than that in half a second in the ring.
In keeping with the storyline surrounding the penalty, the WWE website wrote this commentary about the matter:
Is the fee enough to satiate SmackDown Commissioner Shane McMahon’s peace of mind for the heinous act inflected upon one of his show’s top Superstars? Is this seemingly paltry sum an insult to Shane and SmackDown Live? How will Lesnar’s fine impact the already strained relations between Team Red and Team Blue?
Clearly this is just a storyline and the actual discipline to Lesnar had to be more.
Like many others, Chris Jericho reportedly felt that Brock Lesnar went too far at the end of his match against Randy Orton at SummerSlam on Sunday.
After Orton and Lesnar traded patented moves, Brock hit Orton with a series of elbows. At least one of them left Orton with a gash on his forehead, and there was some speculation that a razor — the standard way to open a cut — caused it. Others believed Lesnar simply took things too far.
According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer, Jericho confronted Lesnar immediately after the match. After checking to see if Orton was OK, Jericho reportedly asked WWE producer Michael Haynes if the finish was planned. When Haynes wouldn’t answer him, Jericho became furious. Here’s more:
Jericho said [that’s bulls—] just as Lesnar came back from the ring. Lesnar thought he was talking about his match, and called Jericho a p—y according to one version, or “shut up” according to another, and to mind his own business. The two got face-to-face and started exchanging words, with one version saying they were shouting at each other the whole time.
Lesnar pushed Jericho with his fingers, and Jericho did what was described as the “Rousey-Tate” forehead press. One version also had Jericho shoving Lesnar to the wall at one point.
They got tangled up against the wall and Lesnar told Jericho to punch him or kiss him. Paul “HHH” Levesque jumped in quickly and broke it up. It was heated enough that they went back at it at which time Vince McMahon broke it up. Jericho started yelling about Lesnar and McMahon told Jericho that it was all a work and to be professional.
The report goes on to say that Orton informed Jericho he knew everything was coming, but a close look at the gash (photo here) makes it seem like the wound was caused by Lesnar’s elbow and not a razor. That’s probably what Jericho was so heated about.
H/T Black Sports Online
One extremely bold, extremely brazen fan attending SummerSlam Sunday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn decided to take his life into his hands by taunting Brock Lesnar with a “got juice” sign.
The sign was visible on the broadcast as Lesnar walked out from the tunnel on his way to the ring to face Randy Orton. It’s a reference to Lesnar failing two drug tests prior to his UFC 200 fight against Mark Hunt
Lesnar went a little nuts in the ring against Orton and appeared to have caused him to bleed with some major elbows to the head.
Image via Extra Mustard
Brock Lesnar defeated Randy Orton via TKO in their match at SummerSlam on Sunday, but there was a controversy at the end when Orton left a bloody mess.
The two traded their patented moves — the RKO outta nowhere for Orton and the F5 suplex for Lesnar. But late in their match, Lesnar hit Orton with an elbow to open a massive cut that left Orton bleeding badly. Some speculate that the elbows opened up the cut, but others say it was a standard razor that caused it. In any case, Orton was bleeding badly in the ring and up the tunnel.
Here’s video of some of the elbows:
This photo seems to show a jagged cut, which would indicate it happened the hard way, not with a razor:
Tip via Big Daddy
Mark Hunt remains as incensed as ever over his loss to Brock Lesnar at UFC 200 and the ensuing revelations that Lesnar failed two drug tests prior to the fight.
Lesnar defeated Hunt by unanimous decision and was dominant during the fight. But his victory will likely be overturned in the coming months as the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) reviews Lesnar’s two failed drug tests prior to the fight — one weeks before the fight and the other the day of the event.
After news was released on Tuesday saying that Lesnar had failed a second drug test, Hunt blasted his UFC 200 opponent via Twitter as “cheating scum.”
Hunt told another Twitter user that he wasn’t interested in a rematch with a “dirty cheat” either.
After Lesnar’s first positive test was revealed, Hunt said he wanted half of Lesnar’s $2.5 million purse for the fight. He then upgraded that to wanting the whole amount. Unfortunately for him, a good chunk of that money will likely go to NSAC as a fine.
Reports have said Lesnar tested positive for an estrogen blocker that enhances testosterone levels.
Brock Lesnar failed two drug tests prior to his win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. Both failed tests were for the same banned substance.
USADA, the testing agency responsible for administering the tests, did not publicly announce the substance for which Lesnar failed his exam. However, two reporters are saying Lesnar was flagged for clomiphene.
As Okamoto noted, clomiphene is the same substance Jon Jones tested positive for in his failed out-of-competition drug test prior to UFC 200. Clomiphene is an estrogen blocker and increases testosterone levels.
Brock Lesnar’s positive drug test from June 28 was not the only failed drug test he had prior to his UFC 200 win over Mark Hunt in Las Vegas.
USADA announced on Tuesday that Lesnar also failed an in-competition drug test the day of the fight for the same substance. In-competition drug tests take place in the 12 hours before a fight.
When allowing Lesnar to fight less than a month in advance, the UFC waived a rule that would have had Lesnar placed in a testing pool and forced to wait four months before being approved to fight. He was drug tested heavily almost to make up for lost time. USADA says Lesnar was tested eight times. He passed the first five tests but failed a June 28 sample and then his in-competition test.
Lesnar faces discipline from the Nevada State Athletic Commission over the failed tests, which could include a two-year ban. The rash of penalties could spell the end of Lesnar’s MMA career. He is 39 and came back from nearly a five-year layoff to fight Hunt.