Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin were expected to meet in the final installment of their trilogy later this year, but that fight is being pushed back.
In March, The Athletic’s Lance Pugmire reported that Canelo and GGG agreed to financial terms for a third fight between them. The hope was that the fight would take place on September 12 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
On Thursday, SI’s Chris Mannix said the fight is still set to happen but is being pushed back due to the lack of crowds.
Texas’ governor announced on Thursday that sports could resume in June with outdoor stadiums filled to 25 percent capacity. AT&T Stadium has a retractable roof and might be able to pass as outdoor if the roof is open, but due to the limited capacity, those involved would prefer to hold the fight at a later date.
Alvarez was originally planning to fight Billy Joe Saunders in May before fighting Golovkin in September. GGG was set to fight Kamil Szeremeta.
Alvarez and GGG fought to a draw in their first bout in 2017. Alvarez won a decision in their second match, which came a year later. Canelo tested positive for a banned substance prior to their second fight.
Andy Ruiz Jr. and Anthony Joshua may have been fighting halfway around the world in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, but that did not stop Canelo Alvarez from attending.
Alvarez, who is the marquee fighter for DAZN, was in Saudi Arabia for the fight televised on the subscription network. Canelo, who was said to be on a world tour, was in attendance with girlfriend Fernanda Gomez. Canelo embraced Ruiz before the fight:
Ruiz pulled off a stunning upset by beating Joshua in June.
As for Canelo, he beat Sergey Kovalev in November and may face Joe Saunders or Callum Smith next.
Canelo Alvarez beat Sergey Kovalev on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas with an 11th-round knockout that came out of nowhere.
The fight between the men was narrow by most accounts, with some writers having Kovalev ahead through 10 rounds and others seeing Alvarez as the leader. Either way, the fight did not feature many big power punches or much activity.
That all changed rapidly in the 11th.
Alvarez caught Kovalev with a massive left hook that dazed his opponent. Canelo finished him off with a right that sent Kovalev into the ropes and nearly knocked him out of the ring.
Two judges had the fight 96-94 Canelo and another had it 95-95 entering the 11th.
Alvarez impressively has now captured the WBO light heavyweight title, marking the fourth weight class in which he has been a champion. He’s 53-1-2 with 36 KOs. Kovalev is now 34-4-1.
Those who wanted to watch the fight between Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night had to wait past 1:00 am ET due to competition on the fight night.
DAZN and Golden Boy Promotions decided to schedule the Alvarez-Kovalev fight card for the same night as UFC 244, which was already a pretty silly move. Despite the conflict, DAZN and Golden Boy recognized how popular the main event at UFC 244 headlined by Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal was, so they decided to hold off on starting the Canelo fight until after the MMA fight finished. The result was a lengthy wait between fights.
Ryan Garcia fought Romero Duno on the undercard just before the Canelo fight and won via first-round knockout. That fight was expected to go longer, but it ended a few minutes after 8:30 pm PT in Las Vegas. Since the fight ended so early, fans waited over 90 minutes before the Canelo fight to begin as the UFC card played out.
Canelo and Kovalev were literally waiting around on couches for an hour.
Beyond just the wait, three different national anthems played, which extended the wait time until the fight. The bout did not finally begin until around 10:15 pm PT.
Earlier in the day, UFC boss Dana White mocked “dummy” Oscar De La Hoya for the poor scheduling:
After seeing such a late start time for the fight, it’s hard to disagree with White.
Canelo Alvarez’s next fight is set to be announced on Friday, according to a report.
Alvarez has been working towards an agreement to fight Sergey Kovalev. The fight is set to take place in November and will be announced Friday, Robert Littal of BSO reports.
The fight will represent a significant challenge to Canelo because of the weight class differences.
Alvarez (52-1-2, 35 KOs) began his career at 140 pounds, moved up to 147, and spent the first half of the decade fighting at 154. He has spent the past five years fighting at the 160-pound middleweight level. His fight against Rocky Fielding last year was in the 168-pound super middleweight class.
Kovalev (34-3-1, 29 KOs) has been fighting at the 175-pound limit his entire boxing career and is naturally bigger than Alvarez. He is 6-feet tall compared to the 5-foot-8 Canelo and is used to carrying more weight.
Alvarez typically fights in early May and mid-September every year, but his second fight did not go according to his usual schedule due to some disagreements between his promotional team and DAZN over an opponent. Alvarez was stripped of IBF middleweight belt but in November will have a chance to become the WBO light heavyweight champion.
Canelo Alvarez shared comments on Friday about the International Boxing Federation’s decision to strip him of his middleweight title belt the day before.
Alvarez sent a tweet in both English and Spanish in which he said he was “ashamed” with his fans to have been unfairly stripped of his belt.
Alvarez had been in talks to try and defend his belt against mandatory contender Sergiy Derevyanchenko. The IBF even postponed their Monday deadline date to allow the sides a chance to negotiate, but no deal was reached.
DAZN, the streaming service that has Alvarez under contract, did not want to pay its full contractual $35 million price to Alvarez to fight a less attractive opponent. DAZN signed Gennady Golovkin to complete his trilogy against Canelo and wanted that fight to happen this fall. However, Alvarez’s promoter — Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions — did not want to make that fight.
De La Hoya blasted the IBF in a statement on Thursday over their decision.
“We are extremely disappointed at the IBF for forcing the world’s best fighter to relinquish his world title. We have been in serious negotiations with Sergiy Derevyanchenko’s promoter. We offered his team an unprecedented amount of money for a fighter of his limited stature and limited popularity, but the truth is that I’m now certain they never had any intention of making a deal. But instead they wanted to force us to relinquish Canelo’s belt. This is an insult to boxing and more importantly an insult to the boxing fans of the world. This decision validates already existing concerns about the credibility of the IBF championship. Canelo inherited a mandatory challenger by defeating Daniel Jacobs, the man who beat Derevyanchenko, so to strip him of his title without giving him enough time to make the best fight possible is truly what is wrong with boxing, and I plan to aggressively consider all legal actions possible.”
Alvarez, who held three title belts during his May fight against Jacobs, is now down to just one after the WBC made a change.
Gennady Golovkin made a successful debut on DAZN Saturday night and is ready for his next fight, one that will be much bigger.
GGG knocked out Steve Rolls at Madison Square Garden with a huge left hand in the fourth round to improve to 39-1-1. The fight was widely believed to be a tuneup before he completes his trilogy with Canelo Alvarez.
After the win, Golovkin was asked by DAZN’s Chris Mannix about his next fight and said he was ready for Canelo.
“Everybody knows, everybody knows. Of course I’m ready for September, I’m ready for Canelo. Just bring him, ask him. I’m ready,” GGG said.
“If you want Big Drama Show, please tell him. Why not?”
Here’s the video:
Canelo and GGG have met each of the last two Septembers. They fought to a draw the first time; Canelo won via majority decision in the second; and this September would complete the trilogy.
GGG signed on with DAZN with an eye towards the third fight with Alvarez. He reportedly will be paid $30 million for the battle.
Canelo Alvarez says he is willing to fight Gennady Golovkin for a third time.
Alvarez beat Daniel Jacobs via unanimous decision on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. In his postfight interview with Chris Mannix on DAZN, Alvarez was asked about his next fight. He was asked whether he thinks there is unfinished business between him and GGG and said no.
“No, for me, we’re done. But if the people want another fight, we’ll do it again and I’ll beat him again,” Alvarez said.
Golovkin signed with DAZN in March, leading to expectations that they will complete their trilogy on the network. Another fighter Canelo could face is Demetrius Andrade.
Golovkin is set to fight Steve Rolls in June. Canelo likely will not fight again until September.
Alvarez and Golovkin fought to a draw in their first fight in 2017, while Alvarez won a majority decision in their rematch in 2018. Fighting for the third year in a row would seem to make plenty of sense.
Oscar De La Hoya sent out a press release on Monday to fire back at critics of Canelo Alvarez’s majority decision win over Gennady Golovkin on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
The first fight between the men in 2017 was ruled a draw even though many felt GGG had won the fight, largely because of a horrendous scorecard. Many felt the second fight was extremely close — and could have been ruled a draw — but Alvarez won the decision. In both cases, Alvarez seemed to get the benefit from the judges.
De La Hoya, who promotes Alvarez, addressed that and more in an “open letter” sent out to members of the media Monday. The contents of the entire letter have been published below. The most interesting part comes towards the bottom when Oscar responds to accusations of fight fixing.
Dear Fight Fans,
On the night of Saturday, September 15, fans were set to be treated to what sports should be all about: the two best athletes in a sport squaring off against each other with the winner earning the title of the best in the business. This kind of an event – where an individual can be called the best in any sport – is truly rare.
Not only did the fight itself deliver all that was promised, against all kinds of pressure, Canelo Alvarez gave the performance of his lifetime to secure the unified middleweight championship of the world.
Unfairly criticized for not fighting “Mexican” enough in the first fight, he kept Gennady Golovkin on his heels all night, taking the action to the “boogeyman of boxing,” walking him down and controlling the pace.
Repeatedly ravaged for two positive drug tests that showed minor traces of clenbuterol – a common occurrence in Mexico due to the contamination of beef across the country – Canelo submitted to more than 20 drug tests in the lead up to the fight and passed them all with flying colors.
Saddled with a judge’s card of a year ago that he had nothing to do with; the pressure of millions of fans watching; and what many were describing as a must-win to stay relevant, Canelo delivered a near-flawless fight.
It wouldn’t be boxing if thousands of keyboard warriors weren’t talking (or tweeting) complete nonsense in the hours and days after Canelo began to cement his legacy as an all-time great fighter.
Many have told me to ignore the haters; that I’ll never win. But, while I know I won’t convince many of them, allowing them to even partly soil what was a certain Fight of the Year; a mega-event seen by millions of people; and a virtuoso performance by boxing’s marquis fighter would do a disservice to the sport I love.
So allow me to respond to a few of the more absurd comments:
Golden Boy paid the judges to fix the fight.
Though I don’t think this deserves response, here are the facts: The three judges were chosen by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Given the result of the first fight, NSAC was under a lot of scrutiny to come up with the fairest group of judges possible. For the first time I know of, Golden Boy Promotions and Team GGG were even allowed to approve a pool of judges. They saw what everyone else did; a close, competitive fight and scored it exactly that way.
Golovkin landed more punches and therefore should have won the fight.
If landed punches were the difference between winning or losing a boxing match, we would have an incredibly different and less interesting sport. Clean punching, ring generalship, effective aggressiveness and defense are what the judges are looking for in determining the winner of a round. I’m obviously a promoter, but in the four areas that actually count in judging, I can’t find one where GGG was the victor.
Tom Loeffler’s statement that he doesn’t know if Golvokin can win a decision in Las Vegas.
Perhaps Tom is just looking to make GGG feel better, but regardless this is maybe the most disappointing comment, because it comes from someone who knows the sport. Of course, GGG can win a decision in Las Vegas. But 22,000 people aren’t going to crowd into the T-Mobile Arena to watch Golovkin fight and blast out the likes of Dominic Wade, Willie Monroe, Jr., or Vanes Martirosyan. He is going to need to fight a higher level of competition – and then fight better than that opponent – to earn a victory in the mecca of boxing.
Boxing is a wonderful sport that is coming back thanks to streaming technology and growing international interest. But, it is a sport that also faces competition, not only from the outside in the form of other, more-widely watched leagues, but from inside where the fractured nature of boxing has made it tougher and tougher for the best to face the best.
Just look at celebrity row to see how special Saturday night was. There, another best-in-sport athlete, Lebron James, joined by Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg and a huge group of other A-list celebrities to witness something special.
While everyone is entitled to his or her opinion (especially in boxing), let’s take a moment to appreciate what Canelo and GGG gave us on Saturday night and work towards doing it more often for the sake of the sport we all love so much.
De La Hoya really does not need to dignify cheating accusations with a response, but doing so does bring more attention to himself and his client by doing so. Maybe that’s what he wants since he’s a promoter.
Are fans ready for a third installment of Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin? The participants seem to be interested.
The second fight between Alvarez and GGG took place on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez won a majority decision, a year after the first fight was ruled a draw.
In a postfight interview with HBO, Alvarez expressed interest in a third fight if the fans want it.
Golovkin’s trainer, Abel Sanchez, also showed interest in a third fight, saying the result in this one warrants it.
“We had a great fight, the one we expected the first time around,” Sanchez said. “I had it close going into the 12th round. We had good judges who saw it from different angles – I can’t complain about the decision, but it’s close enough to warrant a third fight. Canelo fought a great fight, congratulations.”
Perhaps this was the way it was setting up to be all along. Both fights were close — especially the second fight — so many fans would probably be interested in seeing a third fight to see if things can be definitively decided once and for all.