Everything is lining up to indicate that Case Keenum will be the starting quarterback for the Washington Redskins when the regular season opens.
Coach Jay Gruden admitted Sunday that Colt McCoy was no sure thing to be ready for the start of the season as he recovers from the broken leg he suffered in 2018. That, combined with the fact that the team does not appear ready to hand the reins to rookie Dwayne Haskins, indicates that Keenum will get the nod, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Many fans might have wanted to see Haskins win the role, but it’s pretty clear from how the team has discussed him that they want to refine him more. That likely means Keenum is the guy for the foreseeable future.
The Washington Redskins’ quarterback situation has been one fans around the league have been watching, and we may have a frontrunner in the battle.
The Washington Post’s Rick Snider wrote a column on Tuesday saying that Case Keenum appears to be the frontrunner to start at QB for Washington. Keenum was acquired by the Redskins in a trade with Denver in March.
Keenum, 31, has more experience and success in the league than Colt McCoy, a longtime Washington backup, and Dwayne Haskins, whom the team drafted No. 15 overall this year. Keenum began OTAs by taking the first-team reps. This week, he took reps with the first-team players ahead of Washington’s second preseason game, Snider says.
Snider further adds that unless Keenum plays poorly in Thursday’s preseason game against Cincinnati, Redskins head coach Jay Gruden would be comfortable entering the season with the former Broncos QB as his starter.
Keenum has made 41 regular season starts over the past three seasons. His most success came in 2017 when he threw for 22 touchdowns and seven interceptions while leading Minnesota to the NFC Championship Game. Though he passed for a career-high 3,890 yards last year, his touchdowns dropped to 18 and his interceptions increased to 15. Washington would like to see more of the 2017 version of Keenum if they do roll with him as their starter.
It sounds like Joe Flacco is a bit more popular than his predecessor in the Denver Broncos’ locker room.
Broncos running back Devontae Booker suggested Friday that Flacco is much more personable than Case Keenum, who he says did not interact much with anyone but his fellow quarterbacks during his season with Denver.
Obviously, it’s only one player’s opinion, but it certainly paints Keenum in a fairly negative light. The fact that he didn’t play well certainly doesn’t help matters, and if the Broncos are hoping Flacco is a breath of fresh air, he seems to be off to a good start. He’s had his own questions about his brand of leadership, but he’s certainly won over at least one convert.
The Washington Redskins will have another quarterback in camp to compete with Colt McCoy this season.
Washington acquired Case Keenum in a trade with the Denver Broncos. 9News in Denver’s Mike Klis reports details of the trade. He says Denver is getting Washington’s 6th-round pick in 2020, while Washington gets Denver’s 7th-round pick in 2020. Denver is also eating half the money Keenum was owed in 2019.
Washington will be getting Keenum at a discount. He originally signed a 2-year, $36 million deal with the Broncos last offseason, which was front-loaded. He was paid $18 million guaranteed last season and only had $7 million guaranteed for 2019. Denver is splitting that with Washington.
Between the money owed to Alex Smith, who is likely to miss the entire season as he recovers from a severe leg injury, and the money owed to Keenum and McCoy, Washington will have nearly $27 million tied up in its QB position for 2019. Given their options following Smith’s injury, they’ve actually done a nice job at the position for a reasonable price.
The Washington Redskins may have an answer for their quarterback situation in the upcoming season.
Washington is in trade talks with the Denver Broncos about acquiring Case Keenum, according to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport. Rapoport says Keenum was their top quarterback target.
Keenum became expendable after Denver acquired Joe Flacco in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens. He played well for Minnesota in 2017, throwing for 22 touchdowns and 7 interceptions while taking the team to the NFC Championship Game. However, his time in Denver never worked out as he passed for just 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions while Denver went 6-10.
In Washington, Keenum would compete with Colt McCoy for the starting job. Alex Smith is expected to miss the 2019 season after suffering a horrific leg injury last season. McCoy was set to take Smith’s place until he suffered a fractured leg as well.
Even if Keenum lands in Washington, there are no guarantees that he beats out McCoy for the starting job or keeps it for the season.
Case Keenum’s Denver Broncos future is a murky one, but the team appears willing to accommodate him as best they can.
Broncos GM John Elway said Wednesday the team would welcome Keenum back as Joe Flacco’s backup, though he would have to restructure his contract for that to work. Elway added that the Broncos would trade Keenum is that was his wish.
Keenum has an $18 million base salary in 2019, which is why Denver would insist on restructuring and negotiating that down if Keenum elects to stay.
Keenum had a lot of mixed emotions after Denver traded for Flacco. It’s unclear what he’ll opt to do next, but Elway has put the ball very much in his court.
The Denver Broncos were optimistic that they found a quarterback who could help them contend for a championship when they signed Case Keenum last offseason, but that did not work out. Despite Keenum’s struggles in 2018, many believed he would get another shot to prove himself next season.
Keenum thought the same.
In a recent appearance on “The Sports Spectrum” podcast, Keenum said he appreciated Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway calling him to inform him about the team acquiring Joe Flacco in a trade, but he was still stunned by the move.
“Elway called me that morning and we had a great conversation, which he didn’t have to do — I appreciated that. It was definitely a shock,” Keenum said, per Ryan O’Halloran of The Denver Post. “It was a surprise for (my wife and I) … For us, we’re definitely disappointed. It’s not something we wanted to happen. I know everybody is doing their job and John feels like it was a chance to help the Broncos out.”
Keenum said he is ready for the next chapter in his life and has no choice but to “roll with it.” He’s set to count $21 million against the salary cap next year, and the Broncos could save $11 million by cutting him. The 31-year-old said he does not know what the team plans to do.
“We don’t know what’s going to happen. This is still very fresh,” Keenum said. “A lot of these emotions we’re talking about are still going on and still happening. Who knows what’s going to be in store. I don’t, for sure.”
With Flacco now set to start in 2019, all signs point to Keenum not being on the roster next season. However, there are other teams in need of a starting quarterback, and he is just two years removed from an impressive season with the Minnesota Vikings. He could get another opportunity to prove himself.
The Denver Broncos have found a new starting quarterback for 2019 by acquiring Joe Flacco in a trade, and it seems unlikely that Case Keenum will remain with the team in the wake of the deal.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that the Broncos will be fielding trade offers for Keenum, whom they signed to a two-year, $36 million contract last offseason. If they cannot find a trade partner, Keenum will have to either take a massive pay cut or be released.
The Broncos probably are not opposed to keeping Keenum as a backup to Flacco, but but the 30-year-old likely wants another opportunity to start. He earned himself a big free agent contract by having an excellent season with the Minnesota Vikings in 2017, and there are plenty of teams still in need of quarterback help.
Denver would have to eat a large chunk of money by cutting Keenum, but they don’t want to pay a backup quarterback $18 million. There was originally some thought that the financial ramifications could result in the Broncos sticking with Keenum as their starter, but that is obviously not going to happen.
Case Keenum did not appear to be the answer the Denver Broncos were looking for at quarterback last season, and president of football operations John Elway will likely explore new options at the position once again heading into 2019. That does not, however, mean Keenum has played his last snap in Denver.
Keenum signed a two-year, $36 million contract with the Broncos last offseason. He struggled to protect the football in his first year with the team, throwing 15 interceptions compared to just 18 touchdowns and fumbling a whopping eight times. Despite that, Nicki Jhabvala of The Athletic believes he is likely to remain Denver’s starter next season.
While there should be some solid veteran options available like Nick Foles, Joe Flacco and Teddy Bridgewater, the Broncos would have to eat $10 million if they cut or trade Keenum. Jhabvala also notes that Denver has hired a new offensive coaching staff led by offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello, so they could give Keenum another year in a new system.
“I see traits that we can help Case be the best that he can be,” Scangarello said recently when asked about Keenum. “That’s our job as an offense, the players around him, and to really empower him to play confident like he was in Minnesota. Continue to keep that going, and no doubt, help him be the best that he can be.”
Keenum never seemed like the long-term solution at quarterback for the Broncos, and the comments Elway made about the position recently don’t bode well for Keenum’s future in Denver. Still, the best option may be to draft a QB early and give Keenum one more shot.
The 2018 NFL regular season was filled with highs and lows from start to finish. New players established themselves as the future, older players have had their careers called into question, and the amount of change league-wide was unparalleled. It was exciting, frustrating and euphoric all in one. But for some players, it was also wildly disappointing. Who are the players who disappointed? Here’s a look at 10 players who under-performed in 2018.
10. Chris Boswell, K, Pittsburgh Steelers
A year ago, Chris Boswell was considered one of the best kickers in the league and was voted to his first ever Pro Bowl. In fact, he was so dominating in 2017 that he was named an honorary member of the Killer B’s alongside Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell, and even received a four-year, $16.8 million extension from the Steelers. However, like each of the other Killer B’s, 2018 wasn’t nearly as kind to him. Boswell alone cost Pittsburgh at least two games with missed kicks, and it could be argued that he was the reason they ultimately missed the playoffs. Boswell finished the 2018 campaign having connected on just 65% of his field goal attempts (13-of-20), while missing five — yes, five — point after (PAT) attempts. It had gotten so bad late in the season that Pittsburgh considered signing a new kicker, cutting Bowsell loose and just eating the remainder of his contract.