The BIG3 basketball league has given former New York Knicks fan favorite Charles Oakley another chance to play competitive basketball, but the 53-year-old does not believe that same opportunity should be afforded to Lamar Odom.
Oakley, a player/coach who made his playing debut with the BIG3’s Killer 3s on Sunday, told TMZ he would not want Odom on his team.
“I don’t like him like that,” Oakley said. “In life, sometimes you only get but one chance. He’s had three or four chances. He can play, he’s a talented guy. I’m just saying … I don’t want him on my team.”
Odom, 37, has said in the past that he would like to resurrect his basketball career. A previous report from TMZ indicated he has a legitimate chance at joining the BIG3, though league founder Ice Cube sounded skeptical in some recent remarks he made.
Charles Oakley will be required to stay away from Madison Square Garden for a year as part of a plea deal he reached on Friday, and the former New York Knick has absolutely no problem with that.
Oakley, who avoided assault charges stemming from an altercation he had with MSG security in February, wrote on Twitter Sunday that serving his one-year ban from The Garden will be “easy.”
I want to thank all my fans around world .The case is over now that was the hard part. The easy part is stayin away from the garden. OAK
— Charles Oakley (@CharlesOakley34) August 6, 2017
Oakley will have his assault charges dismissed if he serves a six-month probationary period and a one-year ban from MSG. It’s no surprise that he isn’t worried about being banned from Knicks games for the time being, as he still has not smoothed things over with team owner James Dolan. Oakley’s attorney hinted recently that the 53-year-old may file a lawsuit against Dolan.
Back in February, Oakley was ejected from a Knicks game after security confronted him for allegedly heckling Dolan. He got into a physical altercation with MSG security guards, and he later accused them of racism. Oakley has since attended some Knicks games on the road, but he has made it clear he wants nothing to do with Dolan.
Charles Oakley accepted a plea deal in court on Friday that cleared him of assault charges stemming from an incident with Madison Square Garden security, but he is once again banned from attending events at the arena for the time being.
According to ESPN’s Ian Begley, Oakley has agreed to a probationary period of six months in addition to a one-year ban from Madison Square Garden.
Charles Oakley accepted a deal in court today that essentially clears him of charges as long as he stays out of trouble for 6 months.
— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) August 4, 2017
One condition of Charles Oakley's plea deal (an ACD) is that Charles Oakley can't be in Madison Square Garden for one year.
— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) August 4, 2017
Oakley still has not worked out his differences with New York Knicks owner James Dolan, and his attorney hinted that the former Knick will be filing a lawsuit.
Charles Oakley's attorney, Alex Spiro: "He will be pursuing all civil remedies against Mr. (James) Dolan based on this incident."
— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) August 4, 2017
Oakley was ejected from a Knicks game in February when security confronted him for allegedly heckling Dolan. The 53-year-old got into a physical altercation with MSG security guards, and he later accused them of racism.
The incident ended up being a public relations nightmare for the Knicks, as fans took Oakley’s side for voicing some of their own frustrations with the team. It wasn’t long before a report indicated Oakley’s ban had been lifted, but the former fan favorite has made it clear he wants nothing to do with Dolan.
He may have his disagreements with New York Knicks ownership, but that’s not stopping Charles Oakley from telling it like it is.
In a Friday interview with the New York Daily News’ Stefan Bondy, the retired great criticized Kristaps Porzingis for skipping his year-end exit meeting.
“He’s wrong for that. You can’t do that,” said Oakley. “Not being two years in the league and you’ve been on the team two years and won 32 and 31 games. I mean, you don’t do that. Especially when you’re in town [at the same time the meeting was supposed to take place]. You don’t do that. That’s wrong.”
Porzingis’ decision to blow off the April meeting appeared to be the primary driving force behind team president Phil Jackson’s sudden public willingness to trade the 21-year-old before the draft. But Oakley was also somewhat critical of Jackson’s handling of the entire situation.
“[Porzingis] should tell [Jackson] himself, ‘That’s why you got a mouth,’” he continued. “All they can do is trade you or keep you. But you got to realize that you have an opinion too. You can’t worry about what they will do. But all you can do is tell them to respect you. When they disrespect you, you have a right to say something to them. If you disrespect them, they have a right to say something to you. You can’t be sensitive. It’s a two-way street.”
In truth, dangling Porzingis now seems like more of an image-based play by the Knicks than anything. But as their treatment of Oakley himself can attest to, their issues as a franchise run much, much deeper.
The Knicks are almost certainly going to part ways with Carmelo Anthony this summer, and one person who knows a thing or two about playing in New York believes that will be a blessing for the aging superstar.
In a brief chat with TMZ on Tuesday, Charles Oakley said he thinks Anthony has plenty of good basketball ahead of him but needs to get out of The Big Apple.
“I think he’s got a lot left. I think he just needs to get out of New York,” Oakley said. “… He just needs a change. This city, there’s just so much going on with management. He deserves better, but you’ve got to speak up for yourself.”
Of course, Oakley’s opinion is extremely biased. That “management” that he speaks of is the same group that infamously kicked him out of a game at Madison Square Garden back in February, and Oakley said recently that he is still not over his issues with Knicks owner James Dolan.
That doesn’t mean he’s wrong about Anthony. Phil Jackson clearly wants Anthony gone, and the Knicks are nowhere close to giving Carmelo a shot to win his first NBA championship. Oakley mentioned two other teams that could be.
“I think he needs to go somewhere to a team that’s on the bubble or a team that needs a scorer like OKC or the Clippers,” Oakley said. “There’s a lot of teams that could use him.”
There are reportedly several teams that are interested in Anthony, but his contract could be an issue. The Knicks may have to get creative to find a way to move him, but it would be very surprising if it didn’t happen.
Charles Oakley is still bothered by his past issues with New York Knicks owner James Dolan.
The former Knicks forward, who remains a fan favorite in New York, was asked at a charity event Tuesday whether he has moved past his issues with Dolan.
“Some things don’t go away,” the former Knicks forward said, via Newsday’s Neil Best. “It’s just wrong.”
Oakley has been charged with three counts of assault for his treatment of security guards at MSG on Feb. 8. Oakley was kicked out of the game for acting belligerently and believes Dolan targeted him. The physical altercation between Oakley and the security guards resulted in major headlines and created a further divide between Dolan and Knicks fans, with many taking Oakley’s side.
Oakley wanted Dolan to be reprimanded for the incident. He wanted the owner “to apologize to the press, to my family and the fans, and the league. He needs to apologize to the other owners, too. He should have been suspended or fined . . . I told the commissioner that’s what I wanted and I’m going to stick to that.”
Yup, Oakley still is mad about things.
Charles Oakley responded to a rant from Dennis Rodman about resting players, and he came back with a vengeance.
Oakley, who played 19 seasons in the NBA, sent the following tweet on Thursday directed at Rodman:
Dennis Rodman stop it you wasn't a tough guy. I think LeBron is smart , you don't have to be tough to play basketball Miss wedding dress
— Charles Oakley (@CharlesOakley34) April 6, 2017
Rodman got attention on Wednesday for his comments about LeBron James resting. Speaking with CBS Sports’ Bill Reiter, Rodman said James fell short in comparison to Michael Jordan, who never rested.
“You know what, LeBron’s doing one thing that I always said that Michael Jordan never did,” Rodman said. “He never rested. He played every game. He played every game. LeBron has the position to do this now because they need him. The league needs him that’s why he’s doing all this crazy s— now like bitching and complaining and all this [BS].”
Rodman was also critical of today’s NBA, saying it’s easy to score and put up triple-doubles. He’s a former teammate of MJ on the Chicago Bulls, so his loyalty to his former mate makes sense.
Maybe it’s easier to not take days off when you spend entire seasons away from the sport to retire.