Charles Oakley is still furious about his ejection from Madison Square Garden in 2017, and Knicks owner James Dolan’s role in it.
Oakley ripped former teammates Patrick Ewing, Latrell Sprewell, and Larry Johnson for sitting with Dolan four days after Oakley was ejected from Madison Square Garden after having a verbal altercation with the Knicks owner. Oakley said he’d lost respect for his ex-teammates after sticking up for them during their playing careers.
“I just don’t want to be around these guys,” Oakley told WFAN’s “The DA Show.” “A lot of guys I played with, I just lost respect for them because I went to war for them. I protected them, from Patrick on down. Patrick just spoke up two weeks ago about this. But I could have gotten sentenced in jail for 20 years. Three years later, it’s over with really. It’s a PR stunt.”
Oakley also ripped Bernard King, who he never played with, and said he wouldn’t even be able to speak to him for sitting with Dolan.
“I was disappointed in Bernard King, too,” Oakley said. “I addressed it to him … two years ago. He said, ‘Well, my wife wanted to go to a game.’ I said, ‘Bernard, this man [Dolan] makes you turn off your Twitter account, and you’re going to tell me out of 41 home games, this is the game your wife wanted to go to?’ I wanted to smack Bernard. Serious. … I lost so much respect for him. I can’t even speak to him.”
James Dolan and former New York Knicks fan favorite Charles Oakley are still tangled up in a legal battle, and one of the greatest players in franchise history is calling for them to bury the hatchet.
Oakley had his civil lawsuit against the Knicks dismissed last month, but he is currently going through the appeals process. When asked about the situation during an appearance on ESPN Radio’s “The Bart and Hahn Show” on Wednesday, Patrick Ewing said he wishes Dolan and Oakley would sort out their differences.
“Whatever is going on with him and Mr. Dolan, like I’ve said before, it’s something that needs to stop,” Ewing said, as transcribed by SNY’s Scott Thompson. “He’s one of the best players that I’ve played with. He’s a part of the Knicks’ history. He and Mr. Dolan need to get in a room somewhere and figure that out.”
Ewing, who is the head coach at Georgetown, has maintained a good relationship with Dolan. The Hall of Famer did not want to share his thoughts on Oakley calling Madison Square Garden a “plantation” after Spike Lee had a public spat with the Knicks recently, though Ewing had nothing but high praise for Oakley as a former teammate.
“Charles Oakley was one of my best teammates. He was an enforcer. I enjoyed playing with him,” Ewing said. “I have nothing but respect for him. That’s all I want to say about that.”
Oakley’s lawsuit against Dolan stems from an incident in February 2017 in which Oakley was escorted from Madison Square Garden and arrested. He was seen getting into a confrontation with security guards after he allegedly criticized Dolan in what the team described as a “highly inappropriate and abusive manner.”
It doesn’t really matter who is it fault for the feuds that have developed between Dolan, former Knicks players, and prominent fans. The press that the franchise gets from it is embarrassing, which is likely why Ewing wants to see Dolan and Oakley work things out.
It looks like James Dolan is going to have to keep waiting if he wants to reconcile with Charles Oakley.
Oakley has appealed after his lawsuit against Dolan and Madison Square Garden was thrown out.
NEW: Charles Oakley has appealed the dismissal of his federal court defamation and assault and battery lawsuit against James Dolan and Madison Square Garden. He filed his notice of appeal to the Second Circuit just one day after his case was dismissed.#NoJusticeNoPeacepic.twitter.com/WvlADPnAB9
Oakley alleged assault and battery and defamation in his lawsuit, which stems from a bizarre incident at MSG in February 2017. The suit was initially tossed for failing to meet the standards required of a federal suit. Oakley is clearly undeterred and is keeping the process going, even though it’s hard to see him having better luck in appeals court.
Dolan, the owner of the New York Knicks, had voiced his hope for reconciliation after the initial lawsuit was dismissed. If there was any doubt from Oakley’s side before, that definitely won’t be happening.
Charles Oakley was unsuccessful with his civil lawsuit against the New York Knicks, and team owner James Dolan is hoping the two sides can now put the issue behind them and possibly move toward reconciling.
A judge dismissed Oakley’s lawsuit against Dolan and the Madison Square Garden Company on Wednesday, ruling that the former Knicks star “failed to allege a plausible legal claim that can meet federal legal standards.” Dolan issued a statement saying he is hopeful there can now be peace between Oakley and the organization.
Madison Square Garden statement on Charles Oakley’s civil suit being dismissed by a judge today: “We thank the court for its ruling. This was an incident that no one was happy about. Maybe now there can be peace between us.”
Oakley’s lawsuit stemmed from an incident in February 2017 in which he was escorted from Madison Square Garden and arrested. He was seen getting into a confrontation with security guards after he allegedly criticized Dolan in what the team described as a “highly inappropriate and abusive manner.”
Oakley ended up charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault, one misdemeanor count of aggravated harassment and one misdemeanor count of trespassing in addition to two counts of harassment. He agreed to a plea deal that gave him six months of probation and a one-year ban from MSG.
It has now been more than two years since Charles Oakley was arrested and escorted from Madison Square Garden following a verbal altercation with James Dolan, but the New York Knicks legend believes the incident is still impacting the team’s ability to attract top talent.
Oakley joined Kimberly Jones and John Jastremski on WFAN Monday to discuss the Knicks missing out on Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant and other top free agents, and he said he has spoken with players and agents who told him they are “upset about what happened two years ago.” Oakley said that has factored into their decisions to pass on the Knicks.
“People respect me. A lot of stuff that went on wasn’t right, and from the Commissioner on down, nobody has tried to address it. But the players have seen it for themselves,” Oakley said.
“They’re not trying to go to an environment where someone says something, and somebody is going to come talk to him with an axe, or someone is going to come and put handcuffs on him. They don’t want that kind of environment.”
Oakley said the fans in New York will always remain loyal to the Knicks, but players “don’t want to be around a bad, toxic situation.” He also said he has reached out to Dolan to try to smooth things over and been turned away.
There have been reports that Durant still wanted to sign with the Knicks but chose the Brooklyn Nets because he wanted to play with Kyrie Irving. Dolan would also like us to believe that it was his choice to pass on Durant, not the other way around. Of course, no one is really buying that.
As for Oakley, we know there have been many prominent people who have taken his side in his ongoing feud with the Knicks. While that particular incident probably hasn’t played a big role in the team missing out on superstar players, you could make the argument that the reason it became such a major issue — Dolan’s massive ego — has.
Charles Oakley reportedly tried to pull a fast one at a Las Vegas casino earlier this month, and the former NBA star is now facing charges because of it.
According to a report from TMZ, Oakley was arrested at the Cosmopolitan casino on July 8 after officials from the Nevada Gaming Board say he was “suspected of adding to or reducing his wager on a gambling game after the outcome was known.” While it’s unclear which game Oakley was playing, a source told TMZ the former New York Knick attempted to take back a $100 chip on a hand he knew he had lost. After getting confirmation via security footage, casino police arrested Oakley.
Oakley was taken into custody and charged with committing or attempting to commit a fraudulent act in a gaming establishment. The charge carries a possible prison sentence of one to six years if he is convicted, though a source close to Oakley told TMZ the issue is “insignificant” and will be resolved quickly.
Oakley ended up charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault, one misdemeanor count of aggravated harassment and one misdemeanor count of trespassing in addition to two counts of harassment.
The 53-year-old agreed last month to a plea deal that gives him six months of probation and a one-year ban from MSG. His attorney hinted at the time that they would be filing a civil suit against James Dolan.
ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Ian Begley say the suit is expected to be filed soon. It’s unclear who will be named as defendants in the suit.
Oakley’s relationship with his former team has been strained for years, even before the incident. He long expressed frustration over his poor relationship with Dolan. His repeated criticism of the team also seemed to further strain matters.