Having gone 11-5 thus far in the second half of the NBA season, the Miami Heat can afford to be mum about the status of All-Star big man Chris Bosh and have been. But is team president Pat Riley beginning to drop hints about the possibility of a Bosh return?
Addressing the media on Sunday at the team’s annual Miami Heat Family Festival event, Riley offered that the team is “open-minded” about the potential of Bosh returning to action, per Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
Bosh, 31, has been sidelined since mid-February when a calf strain that kept him out of the All-Star Game turned out to be a much more serious problem: a possible recurrence of the blood clotting issue he faced last season.
Since then, the Heat have decline to provide an official update on Bosh’s status, with the only clues we’ve gotten about his health being longtime teammate Dwyane Wade downplaying concerns and Bosh himself tweeting that he is free of deep vein thrombosis and hopes to return this season. Still, Bosh, who was reportedly back on blood thinners after this latest scare, has been said to be under pressure to sit out the remainder of the season, and it’s understandable why the team would err on the side of extreme caution.
The Heat have not only survived, but thrived in Bosh’s absence, however. Having Luol Deng slide up to Bosh’s spot as the starting 4 has caused matchup nightmare for opponents and really opened up the floor for point guard Goran Dragic to operate. The recently-acquired Joe Johnson has been a godsend for the team’s spacing, while rad rookies Justise Winslow and Josh Richardson have flourished in increased playing time. That’s not even to mention head coach Erik Spoelstra’s brilliant decision to unleash shot-blocking, rim-running menace Hassan Whiteside off the bench as a chemical weapon and that Wade has managed to play and be effective in 63 games and counting this season.
With the return of young backup guard Tyler Johnson looming, adding Bosh to that mix makes it look like the Heat have a very real chance of winning the East this year, especially after a huge 122-101 win over the Cavs on Saturday. Every indication we have gotten with regard to Bosh, including these most recent comments by Riley, has been positive and that his health situation is nowhere near as serious as it was last year, providing cause for optimism. Only time will tell if there’s anything to that optimism and if Bosh can contribute to a Heat team on the brink of surprise title contention this year.
Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh had good news on his health on Thursday, as he hopes to play again this season.
Bosh issued a statement on his Twitter account Thursday saying that he is currently free of deep vein thrombosis and hopes to play again before the season is over.
“My situation this year has never been life threatening,” Bosh said in the statement. “I am feeling great and currently I do not have deep vein thrombosis. Together with the Miami HEAT, I am working with doctors, exploring best precautionary treatment options and taking every necessary step to make sure I am healthy for myself, my family and my team. I have been working out, training with the team, watching film of the games, walking through plays, and have attended home games despite not being visible to the public. I will continue to support my teammates in every way possible. I remain positive that I will be able to return this season.”
Bosh’s return would be a big boost for the Heat, who are a legitimate East contender when he’s in the lineup. Despite initial reports saying the Heat were pressing him to sit out the rest of the season, Bosh has been optimistic all along that he’ll return and that has not changed.
Chris Bosh remains sidelined due to potential blood clot issues, but he’s working out and says he’s feeling great.
Bosh sent a pair of tweets on Saturday saying that he’s doing well and working out.
It’s encouraging to hear from Bosh, but it doesn’t mean he’s close to playing. There is simply no timetable for his return, and as far as we know, nothing has really changed with regards to his absence being indefinite.
Bosh’s health concerns have been downplayed by teammates, but the Heat reportedly want to shut him down for the season. Just because Bosh feels good doesn’t mean he’s on the verge of a return.
Chris Bosh is reportedly under increasing pressure from physicians and the Miami Heat organization to sit out the remainder of the season due to a recurring danger of blood clots.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of the Vertical, Bosh is set to sit down with team officials, including president Pat Riley and owner Micky Arison, by Thursday to chart a course of action.
Specialists harbor concern that Bosh could deal with blood clots in his calf, and it is for that reason he hasn’t played since February 9. Bosh has looked to try to play out the season using blood thinners, as has been reported, but this has been met with “significant resistance,” according to Wojnarowski.
If Bosh does not play again this season, his status would not be re-evaluated for three to six months.
Bosh dealt with a blood clot last season, which cost him 30 games. The hope was that the worst was behind him, but Miami fear a recurrence. Though one of his teammates downplayed these fears, it sounds as though the concern is warranted.
At a time when most people are concerned with the health and well-being of Chris Bosh, one radio host is talking about how the forward’s blood clots may actually be beneficial for the team.
In a clip being circulated on CBS Sports’ website, host Doug Gottlieb talks about how Bosh’s blood clots could lead to the player’s retirement and ultimately a rebuilding process for the Miami Heat.
“You’ve got to at least consider the possibility that Chris Bosh has played his last game,” Gottlieb said. “And it’s weird because it’s devastating news for Bosh that he’s fought back as an 11-time All-Star — 11-time All-Star, really? — to get back into form and to have a really good season. But barring the idea that he could die from this obviously, kinda a good thing to happen for the Miami Heat? Am I crazy to think that? Remember he signed that ridiculous contract. Six-year deal, huge money, max contract.”
Bosh actually signed a five-year, $118 million deal in 2014. He’s in the second year of the contract.
“I might be crazy to think this but … short-term, awful news for Chris Bosh. Awful news for the Miami Heat,” Gottlieb continued. “Long-term, this actually might start the house cleaning that we all thought they had to eventually go through.”
There are quite a few questionable parts of Gottlieb’s argument. First, many would dispute the simple assertion that the Heat would be better off without Bosh because of his contract. He continues to play at an All-Star level and would probably be able to give them another few All-Star caliber seasons. Secondly, even if you feel that way, you have to consider the tact and timing of the statement. When people are concerned about the player’s health, and you yourself acknowledge it’s so serious it could cause him to retire, that’s not the best time to start celebrating the news. Maybe Gottlieb doesn’t realize that, or maybe he does but just doesn’t care because he feels that saying controversial things is part of his job as a radio host.
The good news is if Dwyane Wade is to be believed, Bosh’s scare isn’t as bad as last year’s.
H/T Ryan Yousefi
Miami Heat big man Chris Bosh is dealing with another potentially serious blood clot scare for the second time in about a year. But Dwyane Wade doesn’t appear to be too worried about the health of his teammate and good friend.
On Wednesday, Wade downplayed concerns over Bosh’s well-being, emphasizing that Bosh is OK and is not dealing with as serious of a scare as the one he had last year, per Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald.
Of course, the “he’s fine” assessment doesn’t necessarily mean that Bosh will immediately be ready to play for the Heat again, something that Wade qualified in a follow-up statement.
What we know at the moment is that Bosh is reportedly back on blood thinners and hopes to return again this season. This latest scare arose over the last few days when Bosh was forced to sit out All-Star Weekend with a calf strain, an injury which then apparently turned out to be more serious than originally thought.
The Heat have not given an official update on the status of the 11-time All-Star other than to say that Bosh did not practice on Wednesday and will not travel with the team for Friday’s game in Atlanta, per Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
The point that it looks like Wade is conveying here is that Bosh’s life does not appear to be in danger, and that’s all that really matters right now.
Image Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
H/T NBA Reddit
Chris Bosh is reportedly back on blood thinners.
Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press was told that Bosh has resumed taking blood-thinning medication to treat a clot. The Miami Heat star is hopeful that he can play again this season.
Unfortunately, that confirms a previous report that the Heat had more serious concerns than the calf strain that forced Bosh to miss the All-Star Game over the weekend. Bosh missed 30 games last season after a blood clot moved from his calf to his lungs, so it’s possible the injury could be related.
With the trade deadline approaching, Bosh’s health is obviously more important at the moment than the state of the Heat. Dr. Robert Myerburg, an expert on athletes and cardiology at UHealth, told Manny Navarro of The Miami Herald that Bosh will be on blood thinners for three to six months if he has another clot. It could be longer depending on the severity of the condition.
“That’s assuming there’s no pulmonary embolism. If it was a pulmonary embolism it would be six months or more,” Myerburg said. “I’m sure team physicians took this into consideration, but that’s the first thing to look for. All that said, if he’s not having a propensity to blood clot and this was happening episodically, then between episodes and treatment there’s no reason he shouldn’t or couldn’t compete again.”
The Heat have been talking about some newsworthy trades in recent days, but the news on Bosh could affect things before Thursday.
Chris Bosh missed the All-Star Game over the weekend because of a calf strain, and now the Miami Heat are concerned about a potentially larger health issue for the big man.
According to reports, there are concerns that Bosh may have blood clots in his calf.
Bosh’s agent told The Miami Herald that it was too soon to call it a blood clots issue.
Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports that the Heat were concerned about Bosh flying back from Toronto to Miami, but he made it there without incident. He met with doctors in Miami Monday and there apparently was some optimism that his condition could be managed.
Bosh missed 30 games last season after a blood clot moved from his calf to his lungs. He took blood thinners after that to recover.
Alas, the NBA community will regrettably be deprived of the sublime presence of Big Shot Bosh this All-Star Weekend.
Miami Heat big man Chris Bosh has withdrawn his name from Sunday’s All-Star Game according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical on Friday.
Jeff Zillgitt of USA TODAY Sports reports that a strained calf is what will prevent Bosh from playing.
Soon afterwards, the NBA announced Atlanta Hawks center Al Horford as Bosh’s replacement on the team.
Bosh was also slated to compete in the Three-Point Contest on Saturday, where he will now be replaced by C.J. McCollum of the Portland Trail Blazers, per Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
Bosh, 31, is averaging 19.1 points per game and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Heat this season, appearing in all 53 of the team’s games so far.
It would have been nice to see Bosh participate in All-Star Weekend, which is being held in Toronto this year, the city where Bosh was drafted and where he spent the first seven seasons of his NBA career. But unfortunately, the injury bug always ensures that we can’t have nice things.
Chris Bosh called Kobe Bryant “the greatest player of my generation” in a radio interview on Friday.
“He’s the greatest player of my generation,” Bosh said, via ProBasketballTalk. “He was that guy after Mike that really just won, and he was about winning championships. And he really did it a young age. When they three-peated, he was 21, 22 years old. It was just amazing to see him climb up so high, so fast. They did have their struggles, but he was still a great player – one of the greatest I’ve ever seen, of course.”
Dwyane Wade recently said roughly the same thing about Bryant, and it’s interesting because both of these two played four years with LeBron James. It’s entirely possible that they consider James to be a part of a different, more recent era than Bryant, but it’s still interesting hearing Bosh and Wade’s take.