Dana White previously said after Ronda Rousey lost to Amanda Nunes last month that he thought Rousey would fight again, but now he thinks otherwise.
Appearing on the UFC.com’s “UFC Unfiltered” podcast, White said based on his conversation with Rousey, he thinks she is done fighting.
“Her spirits are good and she’s doing her own thing,” White said, via SI. “In the conversation I had with her, if I had to say right here, right now — and I don’t like saying right here, right now because it’s up to her, it’s her thing — but I wouldn’t say she fights again. I think she’s probably done. I think she’s going to ride off in the sunset and start living her life outside of fighting.”
Rousey was 12-0 and on top of the sports world until losing to Holly Holm in Nov. 2015. She was so shaken by the defeat it took her over a year to get back to fighting again. Then she lost to Amanda Nunes for her second straight defeat, leading many to say the mystique had worn off.
“It’s not even that I think it was an invincible thing,” White said. “She’s so competitive that her career record meant everything to her and once she lost, she started to say to herself, ‘What the f— am I doing? This is my whole life? This is it? I want to experience doing other things.’ That’s what she started to do. She’s got a lot of money. She’s never going to need money again. Unless you spend money like crazy, you’re not going to need money again when you have that kind of money Ronda has, and she’s not a big spender. She has a cute place down in Venice, California. She’s got some plans, I think she wants to move to a desolate place and do her thing.”
Though Rousey does not owe it to anyone to fight again, it would be nice to see her back in the octagon just so she could go out on a winning note instead of leaving the sport with two straight losses. She’s still a top fighter and should remind fans of that.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. was so insulted by Dana White’s offer to fight Conor McGregor that he literally laughed out loud about it.
Mayweather and McGregor have been discussing a potential crossover fight between them over the past year or so. White officially threw down the gauntlet when the UFC president made an official offer to Floyd on Friday during an interview on “The Herd with Colin Cowherd.”
When presented with the information surrounding White’s offer, Mayweather laughed it off, using profanity. The undefeated boxer called White a “comedian” and then pointed out how much some of his regular expenses are as a way of showing that $25 million won’t cut it.
Mayweather’s reaction should not come as a surprise.
The man made over $33 million per fight, not including his pay-per-view share, during a six-fight contract with Showtime. He also earned over $200 million in his fight with Manny Pacquiao.
White, who has McGregor under contract at the UFC, says any fight would have to go through his organization. During an interview on “The Herd” on FOX Sports Radio Friday, White made his offer for the bout.
“Tell you what, Floyd, here’s a real offer. And I’m the guy. I’m the guy that can actually make the offer, and I’m actually making a real offer. We’ll pay you (Floyd) $25 million. We’ll pay Conor (McGregor) $25 million. And then we’ll talk about Pay-Per-View at a certain number. There’s a real offer.”
Seriously, Dana, that’s the best you can do? That’s a joke.
Mayweather made $200 million for a six-fight contract with Showtime, which did not include the pay-per-view money. He also reportedly made over $200 million alone for his fight with Manny Pacquiao. Why would he take so much less? Mayweather is a business man, and that offer doesn’t make any business sense for him.
Award-winning actress Meryl Streep blasted Donald Trump in an acceptance speech that lasted more than five minutes at the Golden Globes Sunday night. UFC president Dana White is a known Trump supporter, but you can’t blame him for taking offense to one of the things Streep mentioned in her monologue.
While driving her point home about the diversity in Hollywood, Streep decided to take a shot at mixed martial arts.
“Hollywood is crawling with foreigners and outsiders,” she said. “If we kick them all out, you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.”
“It’s not gonna be everybody’s thing, and the last thing in the world I expect is an uppity 80-year-old lady to be in our demographic and love mixed martial arts,” he told TMZ. “If you really look at who follows the UFC and mixed martial arts, it’s everybody. I don’t expect an 80-year-old woman to be a fan of MMA.”
When asked if MMA is an art, White said there is no question.
“Of course it’s an art. These fighters, the men and women, are so talented,” he replied. “They train their whole lives to become the best in the world. Saying something stupid like that is like saying (Streep) is not a talented actress, which she is.
“I’m not a big fan of golf. That doesn’t mean people should stop watching it. If you don’t like it, change the channel.”
Of course, White wasn’t alone. Scott Coker, the president of Bellator MMA, wrote a letter to Streep inviting her to an upcoming event so she can witness how “truly artistic” the sport is.
In case you were wondering, Streep is 67. She probably won’t appreciate White adding 13 years onto her age.
We doubt it’s a coincidence that Streep chose football and mixed martial arts to illustrate her point, especially given the history of people like White and this popular football player supporting the president-elect. Still, her insult seemed a bit off-base. Like football players and MMA fighters, Streep is in the entertainment business. Her message would have been the same without bashing the two sports.
We don’t know what Rousey is pondering at the moment, but we have some evidence to suggest this might be wishful thinking on White’s part. Rousey has said herself her UFC career is in the home stretch. She looked absolutely shattered after Friday’s defeat, and it’s a really big question as to whether she wants to go through all the training and preparation again having been so thoroughly embarrassed a second time.
There’s a lot of crossover between the WWE and the UFC these days, so that means Dana White and Vince McMahon are in regular contact to discuss business.
Given that both are hard-headed executives who excel at what they do, there’s undoubtedly a lot of pushing and pulling that goes on. But at least in recent years, the two have made things work relatively seamlessly and they’ve each benefited because of it.
Things have not always been that way, however. And during a recent podcast interview with Ric Flair, White discussed some of his past struggles with McMahon, referring to him as a madman. Only, White used much more colorful wording than that.
(The following quote has been edited due to language, but you’ll get the gist of it.)
“Vince has been very difficult in the past, but the past several years he’s been much better,” White said during his appearance on The Ric Flair Show earlier this week. “He’s a f—— maniac, he’s an animal, he’s a competitor, he wants to win. That’s his nature and I respect it.”
White specifically referenced Brock Lesnar’s recent UFC return and Ronda Rousey’s participation in WrestleMania 31 as two of their recent successes, but also credits Stephanie McMahon and Paul “Triple H” Levesque for helping to get things done.
“I think Vince and definitely Stephanie and Triple H — Stephanie and Triple H are always great, always cool to work with,” White said. “I would say that this last Brock deal and when Ronda went over did the WWE WrestleMania, those were the two out of all the years of dealing with Vince and everybody, those were probably the two best experiences.”
This is all good news for fans who enjoy these crossover events. By all accounts, it would appear there are more to come in the not so distant future.
Dana White is about as unprofessional as it gets when it comes to sports executives, so his Twitter behavior on Wednesday should not come as a surprise.
ESPN business reporter Darren Rovell tweeted Wednesday about the UFC sale going south. The company was sold recently, but since then superstars Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones failed drug tests. Rovell talked about the sale souring, leading to White calling him a “douche” in response.
@darrenrovell he doesn't hate UFC he's just a total douche who needs to talk about just about anything to stay employed.
While few would disagree with that description of Rovell, this is once again another example of White name-calling and bullying. In what other pro league would the president publicly call a reporter a “douche” in a forum like Twitter? I guess if Donald Drumpf were a pro league president, he probably would, which explains why White spoke at the RNC recently.
Donald Trump has made no secret of the fact that he wants to secure endorsements from some of the biggest names in the sports world. While many have distanced themselves from the Republican presidential candidate, he will still have some star power speaking on his behalf at the Republican National Convention next week.
A full list of RNC speakers was released on Thursday, and two of the biggest names are Tim Tebow and Dana White. Trump had previously said he was hoping Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger would attend, but the two Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks have decided to steer clear.
Tebow is known as much for his strong political and religious beliefs as he is for his incredible football career at the University of Florida. White, who stands to make a ton of money when the UFC’s sale is finalized, has always been very outspoken, so it’s not a surprise he’s backing Trump.
Don’t hold your breath on a rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor — yet.
Dana White apparently has met with both fighters this week in hopes of putting together a deal for the men to face each other in a rematch of Diaz’s win over McGregor in March. He met with McGregor this week and says the relationship between the two is “great.” So White headed up to Stockton, Calif. to meet with Diaz on Friday for lunch.
TMZ Sports says an apparently upset White stormed out after meeting with Diaz. They say both sides were friendly during their meal, but things “ended abruptly when Dana was visibly angry, stood up and beelined it for his SUV.”
The two men were initially scheduled to meet at UFC 200 on July 9, but that fell through after McGregor refused to travel to Las Vegas to fulfill some of his media obligations. McGregor said he was going to retire in response. Whatever their issues have been seem to have been resolved, but now there seems to be a problem with Diaz.
What’s odd is that McGregor even has interest in a rematch in the first place. He made a significant jump up in weight to face Diaz, all because Rafael dos Anjos pulled out of the initially scheduled fight. After getting pummeled by Diaz, McGregor complained that the weight difference was too much to overcome. That makes you wonder why he would want to fight Diaz again.
Dana White says he is planning to meet with Conor McGregor at some point within the next several days, and the UFC president is not ruling out the possibility of McGregor’s rematch against Nate Diaz taking place sooner rather than later.
In an interview with “The Dan Patrick Show” on Wednesday, White said he has been in contact with McGregor and things between the two are “great.”
“Conor and I have been talking every day,” White said, according to Marc Raimondi of MMAFighting.com. “We’re gonna have dinner next week. Our relationship is great. We’re gonna put the little speed bump in the road behind us and move forward. Everything is great.”
To recap, McGregor shocked MMA fans a few weeks ago when he tweeted that he has decided to retire. That turned out to be a lie, and we later learned that he had been pulled from his UFC 200 fight against Diaz because he refused to promote the bout the way his contract stated he was required to. McGregor later tweeted that he worked things out with White and that he was back on the UFC 200 card, and that was also a complete lie.
McGregor also ripped the UFC in a statement (read it here) for not allowing him to focus on training more and promoting less. A report then indicated that White was now going to force McGregor to fight Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo before rescheduling his rematch against Diaz. But on Wednesday, White made it seem like McGregor could still fight Diaz next.
“McGregor is ready to fight on 200,” White told Patrick. “The thing that has made Conor McGregor a massive star and why people love him is this kid loves to fight. He’ll fight anybody, anywhere, any time. He goes in and goes for broke. His fights are exciting and fun, leading up to them, during them and after them. McGregor is ready to fight.”
McGregor is currently the biggest draw the UFC has. In the rare event that White forced him to fight Aldo or Edgar and McGregor ended up losing, that would devalue the McGregor-Diaz rematch. It’s best for everyone if White and McGregor bury the hatchet and the rematch happens in the near future.