pixel 1
header
Friday, July 10, 2020

Articles tagged: Denver Broncos

Broncos’ defense makes unwanted history in latest loss

Denver Broncos logo

The Denver Broncos dropped to 0-3 with Sunday’s loss to the Green Bay Packers, but that wasn’t the only ugly number they sealed in Week 3.

As Mike Klis of 9News notes, the Broncos’ defense set unwanted history in becoming the first team in 50 years to start their season by failing to get a sack or a takeaway in the first three weeks.

It’s really baffling to see what the Bronco defense has become. Not long ago, this was one of the more fearsome units in the game. Even now, they still have talent. Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, and Chris Harris simply aren’t delivering the goods. Some of it has been bad luck, but there have been a number of disappointing performances from that unit this year.

Su’a Cravens cut by Broncos

Su’a Cravens will be playing for his third team in four NFL seasons if he finds a new home in the coming days, as the Denver Broncos have decided to part ways with the defensive back.

Cravens, who was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the second round back in 2016, has been cut by the Broncos.

Cravens has played in just 16 games total in his NFL career, and he appeared in five with Denver last year. He has battled some injuries and says he had issues in Washington while doing so.

Earlier this offseason, Cravens accused the Redskins of cutting off his insurance and freezing his pay when he was dealing with an injury. The former USC star underwent a knee operation prior to the 2017 season, but Washington head coach Jay Gruden indicated at the time that he was away from the team for personal reasons. Cravens said during his rookie year in 2016 that he was dealing with frightening concussion symptoms, but he eventually returned and played out the season. The real drama happened heading into 2017, when it seemed like the Redskins weren’t willing to welcome him back after he was hurt and contemplated retirement.

Cravens is still just 24, so it would be a surprise if he went unsigned.

Patriots trade former second-round pick Duke Dawson to Broncos

New England Patriots

The New England Patriots have decided to move on from a player they thought very highly of prior to the 2018 NFL Draft.

The Patriots traded 2018 second-round draft pick Duke Dawson to the Denver Broncos in exchange for a sixth-round pick on Friday, according to multiple reports.

Dawson, a defensive back who starred at Florida, missed most of his rookie season after the Patriots placed him on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. The former No. 56 overall pick recorded three tackles in Thursday night’s preseason game against the New York Giants.

While it’s somewhat surprising that the Patriots gave up on Dawson so quickly after drafting him in the second round, they are deep at defensive back heading into Week 1. Starting cornerbacks Stephon Gilmore and Jason McCourty are returning, as are starting safeties Devin McCourty and Patrick Chung. Chung found himself in some legal trouble recently, but he is not expected to be suspended as the case plays out.

Broncos become first to test new pass interference challenge rule

Broncos pass interference

The Denver Broncos became the first team to test the new pass interference challenge rule.

During the second quarter of Thursday’s preseason Hall of Fame Game between the Broncos and Atlanta Falcons, Denver’s Linden Stephens was called for a 43-yard pass interference. First-year head coach Vic Fangio decided to throw a flag to challenge the pass interference call.

The call on the field was upheld, giving the Falcons the ball at Denver’s 21 — a huge field position swing.

Though the challenge did not work out, Fangio did make good on his promise to be the first one to test things out.

In addition to the ability to challenge pass interference calls the first 28 minutes of each half, expanded replay will now give officials the opportunity to review pass interference calls and no-calls.

Report: Broncos finally sign second-round pick Drew Lock

Drew Lock

The Denver Broncos narrowly avoided a training camp holdout with their second-round pick.

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, the Broncos finally agreed to terms with quarterback Drew Lock on Wednesday, the day of the official start of training camp.

Reports indicated that Lock, the No. 42 pick in April’s draft, had been seeking a quarterback premium and threatened to not report to camp on time in order to get it.

It’s a rather inauspicious start to Lock’s NFL career. The Broncos like him and view him as a project for the future, but it sounds like the former Missouri quarterback wasn’t interested in being paid like a project. Ultimately, he’ll be in camp as scheduled, likely backing up newly-acquired veteran Joe Flacco.

Roger Goodell issues statement on passing of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen

Roger Goodell

Longtime Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen died on Thursday night at age 75, and his passing is being felt across the NFL.

After news surfaced that Bowlen has lost his battle with Alzheimer’s disease, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement acknowledging the impact he had on the Broncos and the league as a whole.

As Goodell mentioned, Bowlen passed away less than two months before he was set to be formally enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Bowlen and his family purchased the Broncos in 1984, and the team has won three Super Bowls and appeared in seven since then. He will be remembered as one of the most successful team owners in NFL history.

Von Miller says Tim Tebow inspired him to call and welcome Broncos’ draft picks

Von Miller

Von Miller always calls the first-round picks for the Denver Broncos to welcome them to the team, and he also called their two second-round picks this year, Dalton Risner and Drew Lock, according to Mike Klis.

His inspiration? It comes from when Tim Tebow called and welcomed him he was drafted. Tebow was drafted just a year prior to Miller being selected second overall in 2011, and Tebow was not Denver’s starting quarterback at the time. Hopefully, first-round pick Noah Fant and quarterback Drew Lock did not mind that Von Miller was hoping the team would select Dwayne Haskins before the draft.

The Broncos also may want to look into Tim Tebow calling future draft picks as well. The last player drafted by the Broncos in the first two rounds that has been selected to a Pro Bowl was … Von Miller.

Miller and the rest of the franchise are hoping this year’s trio of early picks will reverse those trends and start the team on the path back to the postseason, where they have not been since winning the Super Bowl at the end of the 2015 season.