The Indianapolis Colts are entitled to a significant amount of money back from Andrew Luck now that he has decided to retire, but they are not going to create a situation where there could be tension between the former No. 1 overall pick and the franchise.
The Colts have reached a financial settlement with Luck and will not seek to recoup any of the money he could have potentially owed them, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Luck would have been contractually obligated to pay back a total of $24.8 million stemming from a pro-rated amount of his $32 million signing bonus from 2016 and $12 million in roster bonuses he was paid when the new league year began in March, but the Colts are letting him keep it all.
Luck dealt with numerous significant injuries throughout his NFL career, and the Colts clearly want to show that they appreciate all he went through. Irsay applauded Luck for leaving what he estimated to be close to $450 million on the table by walking away from football, so the owner is letting him keep the $24.8 million as what Schefter describes as a “parting gift.”
We know Colts fans didn’t treat Luck all that well with their reaction to his shocking retirement decision, but the team deserves credit for showing him a great deal of respect.
There are still some indications that the Indianapolis Colts are not certain that quarterback Andrew Luck will be ready to start in Week 1 of the NFL season.
According to Zak Keefer of The Athletic, the Colts will not play backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett in Saturday night’s preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The 26-year-old is still listed as the Colts’ starter on the depth chart and will remain in that spot until Luck proves he can practice. Indianapolis will be holding starters out of Saturday’s game, and for now, Brissett fits that label.
Brissett has 17 NFL starts to his name, with 15 of them coming in 2017. He threw for 3,098 yards, 13 touchdowns, and seven interceptions that year.
There are still some major physical issues that Luck is reportedly having. There’s some optimism in this report about his Week 1 availability, but for now, everyone is still holding their breath as to whether he can play or not.
The Indianapolis Colts have not won the AFC South since 2014, but tight end Eric Ebron thinks that will all change this season.
On Wednesday, Ebron declared that the Colts would win the division.
“I respect the Jaguars don’t get me wrong, but we are not losing the AFC South this year, I’m sorry,” he said, per ESPN’s Josina Anderson.
The Houston Texans ran the division last season with an 11-5 record, but the Colts were right on their heels at 10-6 and went on to defeat the Texans in the AFC Wild Card game. The Jaguars, meanwhile, went 5-11 after winning the division in 2017 but are expected to bounce back after signing ex-Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles and drafting SEC Defensive Player of the Year Josh Allen.
Indy made some additions of their own this offseason however, namely, Spencer Ware and Devin Funchess on offense as well as Justin Houston on defense. As for Ebron, who is coming off a monster 13-touchdown campaign, he is one of several other players who should give the team confidence.
Brandon Marshall has not made a significant impact on an NFL roster in more than three years now, but the veteran wide receiver is still not willing to close the door on playing football.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Marshall was in Indianapolis to work out with the Colts on Friday.
We have heard almost nothing about Marshall this offseason, which makes sense considering he is 35 and played in just 12 games over the past two seasons. He appeared in seven games for the Seattle Seahawks last year and caught just 11 passes before being released in October. He then landed with the New Orleans Saints and said all the right things, but he never caught a pass in a game.
Marshall could get a shot to prove himself in training camp with the Colts or another team, but it seems highly unlikely that he will make a final roster in Week 1.
A member of the Colts organization dealt with a terrifying incident over the weekend after several suspects fired dozens of rounds into his home in Indianapolis.
According to Tom Maccabe of RTV6, police are searching for as many as eight suspects who opened fire on Parks Frazier’s home on Sunday evening. Witnesses say they saw the men pull up in three cars and fire about 70 rounds at the house. The rear door was also kicked in, and several rounds were fired through the doorway into the home. Fortunately, no one was home at the time.
In addition to gathering several handgun and rifle casings from in front of the house, police found a cell phone that one of the suspects dropped at the scene.
Frazier works as an assistant to Colts head coach Frank Reich, and he is referred to by many as Reich’s right-hand man. The Indianapolis Star wrote a feature on the 26-year-old back in November, and Reich spoke about his importance to the team.
“He’s the first person I go to,” Reich said at the time. “No matter what it’s about. I just think that much of him.”
No arrests had been made in the case as of Tuesday and no motive had been established.
The Indianapolis Colts added a veteran depth player in their backfield on Tuesday, as they have announced the signing of Spencer Ware.
Ware, 27, was a reliable backup with the Kansas City Chiefs for several seasons after playing rookie year with the Seattle Seahawks in 2013. He spent some time as the Chiefs’ starter in 2016 and rushed for 921 yards and had another 447 yards receiving. Last year, Ware averaged 4.8 yards per carry and saw increased action after Kareem Hunt was cut.
Ware has averaged an impressive 4.6 yards per carry throughout his career, and he should give the Colts some security behind Marlon Mack. The Colts have said they envision Mack being a three-down back, but he has battled some injuries in his first two NFL seasons. Despite that, he rushed for 902 yards and scored 10 total touchdowns in just 12 games last season, so his starting job is safe.
Indy also used Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins last season, so Ware will not be a lock to make the roster.
Adam Vinatieri has accomplished more in his career than most other NFL kickers combined, but the 46-year-old is not ready to hang it up just yet.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Vinatieri and the Indianapolis Colts are finalizing a one-year deal to keep him with the team for his 24th NFL season.
Vinatieri missed an extra point and a 23-yard field goal against the Kansas City Chiefs in the divisional round of the playoffs, but he still converted on 23-of-27 kicks during the regular season. While he has certainly lost some range through the years, he remains incredibly reliable.
Vinatieri has been as close to automatic as you can get throughout his career, especially during clutch moments. The NFL’s all-time leading scorer had made so many clutch kicks that people have a tendency to only call attention to his misses. It’s no surprise the Colts want to bring him back for another season, even if he will be 47 by the time it ends.
Adam Vinatieri had one of the roughest days of his remarkable career in the Indianapolis Colts’ loss to the Kansas City Chiefs last weekend, but that has apparently not soured the team on the idea of bringing him back for his 24th NFL season.
Vinatieri did not commit to playing next season in the wake of last weekend’s loss, though he did say it would be difficult to turn down a contract offer from the Colts.
“If they’re wanting, I can’t imagine (I’d) not keep playing, you know?” Vinatieri told reporters, per Joel Erickson of the Indy Star. “I haven’t made the decision yet. I’ll spend a week or two and just kind of see where we’re at.”
According to Colts reporter Mike Chappell, the interest is mutual.
Vinatieri missed an extra point and a 23-yard field goal against the Chiefs, but he still converted on 23-of-27 kicks during the regular season. The 46-year-old has obviously lost some range over the years, but he is still incredibly reliable.
While Vinatieri cannot play forever, he has been so automatic throughout his Hall of Fame career that people only talk about his misses. The Colts could do a lot worse at the kicker position in 2019.
The Indianapolis Colts made what might seem like a minor tweak to their coaching staff on Tuesday, but the timing has left many people scratching their heads.
Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports that the Colts are parting ways with offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo.
As Garafolo noted, the Colts’ offensive line was one of the most improved units in football this year. Poor O-line play had been one of the reasons Indy struggled in recent years and could not seem to keep Andrew Luck upright, and the presence of DeGuglielmo seemed to stabilize a lot of those issues.
That said, DeGuglielmo was not hired by Colts head coach Frank Reich. He was brought in by Josh McDaniels last year after McDaniels verbally agreed to become the head coach of the Colts, and the team decided to keep him on its staff. DeGuglielmo worked as the O-line coach with the New England Patriots in 2014 and 2015 when Dante Scarnecchia briefly retired.
Reich must feel that his own offensive system and/or the personnel is the biggest reason the Colts improved so much this season on the offensive line. Time will tell if that is the case.
It wasn’t the greatest divisional round for competitive games, nor was it the finest weekend for some players, either. The four games offered a lot of memorable moments, but there are some who factored into the four results who will want to put this weekend’s action behind them as quickly as possible.
Here are ten of the biggest disappointments from the divisional round of the playoffs.
Andrew Luck, QB, Colts
The weather seemed to effect Luck more than anyone else on the field in Kansas City on Saturday. It wasn’t entirely his fault — his protection was not up to standard — but he had several passes tipped at the line and avoided a number of interceptions that Kansas City defenders just dropped. His 203 yards were lower than usual, and it’s impossible to look at this as anything but a disappointment, especially against a Kansas City defense that seemed vulnerable.