“The court correctly ruled that Jason properly stated an invasion-of-privacy claim against ESPN and Adam Schefter, who we allege improperly published Jason’s medical records. Today’s ruling is a recognition of Jason’s right, as a professional athlete, to oppose the publication of his medical records without his consent,” JPP’s attorney, Mitchell Schuster of Meister Seelig & Fein, told the New York Post.
Although Schefter and ESPN did not technically violate HIPAA laws with their July 2015 release of Pierre-Paul’s medical charts, the former Pro Bowl defensive end says the documents were “improperly obtained” and their release was not “a matter of legitimate public concern.”
ESPN obtained medical charts that show Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul had right index finger amputated today. pic.twitter.com/VI5cbS1uCw
Previously, Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Fla. had settled a lawsuit believed to be brought against them by Pierre-Paul, although that has not been confirmed. The hospital also terminated two of its employees who were the source of the leak.
Schefter’s decision to post Pierre-Paul’s medical and surgical charts, which came only days after the Giants defender suffered the loss of his right index finger and the portion of two others during a July 4th fireworks accident, was met with immediate scrutiny. However, both he and ESPN have repeatedly defended their decision to share the documents publicly, claiming it was protected under their First Amendment rights.
Citing that same argument, lawyers representing Schefter and ESPN sought to have the case thrown out, but their request was denied.
Pierre-Paul is suing for an unspecified damages, and the case could ultimately cost ESPN millions.
New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is not concerned about the disturbing domestic violence allegations against his teammate Josh Brown.
On Monday, Pierre-Paul told reporters the Giants have not discussed Brown’s situation in the locker room. JPP actually took it a step further, saying the domestic violence allegations don’t matter.
“Nothing has been talked about. It is what it is. I think he’s suspended one game,” Pierre-Paul said, per James Kratch of NJ.com. “It doesn’t matter, we’re all family around here. People have their own problems to handle. He’s still our brother and we look past it. We going to need him. Every player, we’re going to need them.”
When asked if the Giants should consider releasing Brown, Pierre-Paul gave an even more animated defense of the kicker.
“No. Why should we cut him?” he replied. “Every guy needs a chance.”
JPP probably doesn’t want to pass judgment on a teammate, especially after all he went through over the past year or so with his embarrassing fireworks mishap. Still, he needs to be more careful when supporting someone who is facing the accusations Brown is facing.
Jason Pierre-Paul says he isn’t feeling any issues with his right hand during contact drills so far.
The Giants defensive end, who famously lost parts of three fingers after a fireworks accident in 2015, says everything feels normal as he gets to work.
“What do you think?” Pierre-Paul said when asked about his hand, via Jordan Raanan of ESPN. “I’m out there running and banging people.
“My hand feels like my left hand. Just missing a couple fingers.”
Pierre-Paul admitted that he was not himself in 2015 and the injuries did impact his play, where he had just one sack in eight games. He doesn’t believe he’ll face similar issues in 2016.
The reports on JPP are good in the early going, and they echo similar comments made last month where Pierre-Paul said he no longer needed the club for his hand. As good as he feels in camp, he’ll have to prove on the field that he’s really getting back to the player he once was.
There are plenty of people who believe Jason Pierre-Paul will never be the same player again, and who can blame them? A defensive lineman who relies on explosion, Pierre-Paul has had to learn to play with only one fully functioning hand. According to Giants general manager Jerry Reese, the two-time Pro Bowler is coming along just fine.
Reese told reporters over the weekend that he has been blown away by JPP so far this offseason.
“I just know that back in the spring during (organized team activities), I looked at him a couple of times and saw how he was moving and how he was running and I was like, ‘Wow! I haven’t seen that guy for a little while now,'” the GM said, via Dan Duggan of NJ Advance Media. “He just looked big and fast and explosive and I was just happy to see that. Obviously his hand situation is something that has healed with more time and he learned how to use it better and I expect him to be a load.”
Apparently Reese isn’t the only one who notices, either. He says offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo has made similar observations.
“I was talking to Coach McAdoo last night and he was like, “Man, I have to tone Jason down a little bit because he is going so hard out there,'” Reese said. “Jason looks like a beast out here. His motor is running hot. You are talking about a guy that looks like he is on a mission.”
Jason Pierre-Paul appeared in eight games for the New York Giants last year, and the club he wore over his injured right hand may have been one of the reasons he was only able to record one sack. Fortunately, the star defensive end won’t have to worry about that this season.
Pierre-Paul told reporters on Thursday that he no longer needs a club, cast or special glove to protect his right hand. In fact, he claims his right hand — which is missing an entire index finger and part of a thumb — feels no different from the left.
“I’m not worried about no club,” Pierre-Paul said, per Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com. “My hand feels great. No complaining, no nothing. I’ve been training hard, been getting after it and getting ready to play some football. The club isn’t going to be an issue or anything. My right hand feels like my left hand.”
Pierre-Paul, who had another surgery during the offseason, said he does not need clearance from team doctors to continue wearing no additional support on the hand that was mangled in a fireworks accident.
“I don’t have to prove anything. It’s free will,” he said. “I know I don’t need nothing to go out there to protect myself. I feel comfortable in using my hand and striking with it and hitting with it. I’m very excited to show people, ‘Hey, nothing has changed.'”
As someone who recorded 12.5 sacks two years ago and is playing under a one-year contract, JPP has plenty to prove. He struggled at times to make tackles while wearing a cast (video here), so it must be a relief to get rid of it.
Jason Pierre-Paul has teamed up with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission for a public service announcement about the dangers of fireworks, and it was released Thursday morning in advance of the 4th of July holiday weekend.
In the PSA, Pierre-Paul tells CPSC chairman Elliott Kaye that he feels “truly blessed to be alive” after he lost a large portion of his right hand in a fireworks accident last year. You can see the video below: