After acquiring Andrew Miller at last year’s trade deadline, the Cleveland Indians may be making a similar splash again this year.
According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports on Thursday, some believe the Indians could become interested in New York Mets outfielder Jay Bruce.
The 30-year-old Bruce has had a strong 2017, hitting .266/.332/.529 with 24 home runs and 63 RBIs in 87 games. Though he is in the final year of his contract, Bruce is quite familiar with the state of Ohio, having played the first eight years of his career with the Cincinnati Reds.
Cleveland’s attention has recently seemed to be on trading for pitching. But at the same time, they’ve had a largely mediocre platoon of players rotating the reps in right field this season. The sub-.500 Mets have indicated at least some willingness to deal the three-time All-Star Bruce, and he would represent an immediate upgrade for the AL Central-leading Indians, especially at the plate.
Image via SNY on YouTube
Having fallen well out of the playoff picture, the New York Mets appear willing to turn over much of their roster for young talent.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Mets are now willing to hear offers for a variety of veterans in their clubhouse. Olney goes as far to call New York “open for business”.
Having lost seven of their last eight, the Mets may have recently changed their mind about buying or selling midseason. Olney now reports that Curtis Granderson, Jay Bruce, Addison Reed, Asdrubal Cabrera, and others are all available for the right price.
Currently 31-41 on the season, the Mets sit in fourth place in the NL East. They trail the division-leading Nationals by 12 games and are a whopping 14.5 games behind the Colorado Rockies for the second wild card spot in the National League.
After being swept by the Los Angeles Dodgers in a four-game series this week, the Mets travel to San Francisco for a three-game set with the struggling Giants.
Shane McNichol covers college basketball and the NBA for Larry Brown Sports. He also blogs about basketball at Palestra Back and has contributed to Rush The Court, ESPN.com, and USA Today Sports Weekly. Follow him on Twitter @OnTheShaneTrain.
Jay Bruce has absolutely crushed the Phillies this season. The crazy thing is he actually could have been playing for them this season had things turned out a little differently.
According to Newsday’s Marc Carig, the Phillies came close to acquiring Bruce in a trade with the Mets during the offseason.
We knew the Mets were open to trading Bruce after he performed below expectations for them last season. The Blue Jays were one team reported to have interest, while Carig says the Giants and Orioles also were interested. Carig says that the Phillies came the closest to getting the outfielder.
The Mets ended up holding onto Bruce, and that decision has proven to be a wise one.
Bruce is batting cleanup for the team and entered Thursday batting .309 with six home runs and an OPS well over 1.000. Of note, four of his home runs and 11 of his RBIs have come against the Phillies, which is just rubbing things in.
H/T Hardball Talk
The New York Mets couldn’t find a way to deal Jay Bruce this offseason, and it looks like they have accepted their fate.
According to a report by Ken Davidoff of the New York Post on Tuesday, the Mets have informed Bruce that they plan on entering the season with him as their everyday right fielder.
The Mets could certainly do worse at the position given Bruce’s .815 OPS to go along with 33 home runs and 99 RBIs combined between New York and Cincinnati last season. But Bruce will turn 30 at the beginning of the 2017 campaign and will become a free agent at the end of it.
Bruce did attract at least some trade interest this winter. But with nothing ultimately materializing, the Mets now appear to be content with seeing what Bruce has to offer them in what will be his first full season in The Big Apple.
The New York Mets apparently have a strict preference as to which of their outfielders they would like to keep and which they would like to deal.
According to a report by Anthony DiComo of MLB.com on Wednesday, the Mets are making it clear that they don’t intend to deal Michael Conforto or Juan Lagares and instead strongly prefer to move Jay Bruce.
Conforto, 23, and Lagares, 27, did struggle with injuries and ineffectiveness last season. But with the former club-controlled through 2021, the latter through 2020, and both making team-friendly money, it’s easy to see why the Mets wouldn’t want to deal the two talented outfielders near the nadirs of their respective values.
On the other hand, the 29-year-old Bruce is owed $13 million in 2017 and will become a free agent in 2018. We heard recently that the Mets were discussing the framework of a possible Bruce trade, so it looks like he might be an odd man out in a Mets outfield featuring Conforto, Lagares, and the newly re-signed Yoenis Cespedes.
The Toronto Blue Jays are looking like one of the most active teams in the MLB offseason, and it sounds like they’re looking for another bat.
According to ESPN’s Jim Bowden, the Blue Jays have discussed a trade with the New York Mets centering around outfielder Jay Bruce.
Bruce has been a long-term target for the Blue Jays, and their interest hasn’t cooled much, apparently. With Jose Bautista looking likely to leave Toronto and Edwin Encarnacion possibly doing the same, it makes sense that Toronto would be trying to find more bats to fill those possible gaps.
The New York Mets are on the verge of acquiring Jay Bruce from the Cincinnati Reds.
According to reports, the deal had to be reworked after a medical issue came up in one of the prospects headed to Cincinnati, but infielder Dilson Herrera is headed to the Reds, likely among others. The deal means the Mets are no longer pursuing Milwaukee catcher Jonathan Lucroy.
According to Marc Carig of Newsday, top Mets prospect Brandon Nimmo is not in the deal despite having reportedly been in an earlier offer before the medical issues arose.
Bruce has been in play all day. You can, however, make the case that they needed Lucroy more. The Mets have plenty of outfield bats, though Yoenis Cespedes can opt out after the season. Lucroy would have filled a bigger need. The price may well have been prohibitive.
Cincinnati Reds outfielder Jay Bruce is a likely candidate to be moved prior to Monday’s 4 p.m. trade deadline, and there are reportedly three main suitors.
According to Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball, the New York Mets, Texas Rangers, and San Francisco Giants are the leading suitors for Bruce.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick added that Bruce isn’t a primary target for the Giants.
The Mets may be the frontrunner right now. They’re known to be after him, and it’s worth noting that they nearly traded for him at last year’s deadline. Yoenis Cespedes can opt out of his contract at season’s end, and acquiring Bruce would be an insurance policy against that in addition to helping the team in 2016.
The New York Mets are apparently trying to assemble a star-studded cast of characters in their outfield.
According to a report by Mark Sheldon of MLB.com on Saturday, the Mets are “very involved” in a pursuit of Reds right fielder Jay Bruce, though no trade appears to be imminent.
The three-time All-Star appears to have at least a fifth of the league on his tail this trade season, but the Mets definitely look like one of the more intriguing destinations. Pairing Bruce in right with Yoenis Cespedes in left and the Curtis Granderson-Michael Conforto duo in center would give the reigning National League champs arguably the deepest outfield squadron in all of baseball.
Bruce, 29, is also comfortable hitting cleanup and would give a big-time boost to the Mets provided that they can piece together the right package for him.
Image Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports
Springsteen played a show in Seattle just last March, but apparently the city is still hungry for Bruces.
According to a report by Jerry Crasnick of ESPN on Wednesday, the Seattle Mariners are one of the teams that have recently reached out to the Cincinnati Reds about the availability of outfielder Jay Bruce.
The Mariners are 51-49 on the year, yet are still only 6 games behind the Texas Rangers for the AL West division lead at the moment. Bruce occupies the same right field position as Nelson Cruz, who has been his usual raking self this year. But Bruce is arguably a better all-around hitter than DH Adam Lind, so there is some incentive for Seattle to potentially swing a deal.
The 29-year-old Bruce has drawn interest from at least five other teams in the past week and has clubbed six home runs in just his last five games in a conveniently-timed value boost. As such, the Mariners will likely have to navigate a piping hot market in order to get their man.
Image Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports
H/T Baseball Reddit