Kareem Hunt is still waiting for the NFL to determine how long he will be suspended in the wake of multiple off-field incidents, and the running back is trying to show the league he is taking the situation seriously.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Hunt entered into counseling this week for alcohol and anger management. The 23-year-old knows he is going to be suspended and wants to begin serving the ban as quickly as possible, and he has been in touch with the NFL and the NFL Players Association regarding what is expected of him in the meantime.
While Ray Rice never played again in the NFL after a video of him punching his now-wife surfaced, the belief seems to be that Hunt will find work when his status becomes more clear. He was a Pro Bowler with the Chiefs and is still in his prime. Unfortunately, that often is what matters most in the NFL.
“Following an internal review, it has been determined that in February 2018 a member of the Cleveland Division of Police provided a copy of the police report involving the February 10, 2018 assault incident at The 9 to a representative from the National Football League.
“The report did not go through the official public records request process.
“The Cleveland Division of Police is conducting an internal investigation regarding the overall response to the February 10, 2018 incident.”
TMZ Sports published video of Hunt shoving and kicking a woman at his apartment/hotel complex in Cleveland in February. Though details of the incident had been reported by the media in February thanks to the information from the police report, last Friday was the first time video had been distributed to the public. Hunt ended up being placed on the Commissioner’s Exempt list and cut by the Kansas City Chiefs in response to his assault of the woman.
Kareem Hunt was waived by the Kansas City Chiefs last week after a video of him shoving and kicking a woman surfaced, and it turns out that was just one incident in a series of off-field red flags surrounding the star running back.
According to a police report obtained by TMZ, Hunt was accused of attacking a man at a nightclub in Kansas City following the Chiefs’ loss to the Tennessee Titans back in January. In the report, the alleged victim says he saw his friend getting shoved by three men, one of whom was former Chiefs running back George Atkinson. The man says he confronted Atkinson and was punched in the shoulder before a group of men — which he says included Hunt — all began beating him.
The man told police he was treated at a nearby hospital after he was hit in his head and body multiple times and believes he lost consciousness. He suffered a broken nose, broken ribs and multiple bruises. He also had cuts on his mouth at the time he filed the police report. He told police he did not want to file a report but family members convinced him he needed to.
Kansas City police told TMZ that neither Hunt nor Atkinson were ever arrested, as the victim stopped cooperating with the investigation after he filed his report.
Hunt went unclaimed on Monday despite reportedly receiving interest from some teams. He is almost certain to be facing a six-game suspension, and the ban could be even longer given that there are multiple instances where the NFL could say he violated the league’s personal conduct policy.
Kareem Hunt may have gone unclaimed after he was waived by the Kansas City Chiefs, but the early indication is that he will get another chance in the NFL eventually.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, several teams considered putting in a claim for Hunt prior to the 4 p.m. EST deadline on Monday. However, the running back is expected to become a free agent.
Twenty minutes past the deadline to put waiver claims in and it doesn’t sound like anyone put in for #Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt. Several teams considered it, but those teams elected not to put in a claim. If this holds, Hunt will be a free agent.
There’s still plenty of uncertainty surrounding Hunt’s situation. He’s currently on the Commissioner’s Exempt List, and he is expected to be hit with a lengthy suspension at some point. The baseline for the suspension will likely be the standard six games for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy, but it’s possible he could be suspended even longer.
While Hunt’s situation is similar to Ray Rice’s, Rice was 29 at the time a video surfaced of him punching his now-wife in an elevator. Hunt, on the other hand, is 23 and in the prime of his career. Like it or not, that matters to NFL teams.
Hunt was involved in two incidents during the offseason where he was accused of assault. He was not charged for either nor punished by the league. Then on Friday, TMZ published video showing Hunt shoving and kicking a woman during a February incident inside his hotel/apartment complex.
Kareem Hunt took responsibility on Sunday for his actions in a physical altercation he had with a woman back in February, and he also admitted to not being truthful with the Kansas City Chiefs about what took place.
In an interview with ESPN’s Lisa Salters, Hunt apologized and said he is “extremely embarrassed” by the video that shows him shoving and kicking a woman at a hotel in Cleveland where he was living earlier this year. He also said he does not blame the Chiefs for cutting him.
“The Chiefs are right. I didn’t tell them everything. I don’t blame them for anything,” he said. “My actions caused this. … I didn’t tell them the video part. I didn’t say anything about too much of that.”
There have been reports that the reason Hunt was so enraged is that the woman used a racial slur against him, but the 23-year-old would neither confirm nor deny that.
“It was just a long night. It doesn’t really matter what happened,” Hunt said. “I was in the wrong. I could have taken responsibility and made the right decision to find a way to deescalate the situation.
“There was definitely some things that were said and did that I did not like. That’s not an excuse. That person in that video did not deserve that.”
Hunt said he didn’t know the woman and that he had just met her that night.
As for the NFL’s investigation (or lack thereof), Hunt confirmed reports that the league never interviewed him about the incident. He said no league officials ever spoke with him about anything having to do with it.
The NFL is once again taking a huge public relations hit in the wake of the Kareem Hunt video that was released on Friday, and it sounds as if much of the criticism is well deserved.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on Sunday that the NFL never interviewed Hunt or the woman he shoved and kicked when some details of the incident were first published back in February. The league never asked to interview Hunt as part of its investigation, and the woman and her friend did not respond to inquiries.
The NFL apparently spoke to other witnesses, and league investigators were told that Hunt had no involvement. The footage obtained by TMZ proves that he was, in fact, involved in a physical altercation with a woman, but the NFL feels it did everything possible from a legal standpoint.
In their statement after they cut Hunt, the Chiefs said they did so in part because the running back was not truthful about what happened with the February altercation. Schefter notes that the NFL obtained a copy of the police report from the incident and spoke to the Chiefs about their discussions with Hunt, but there was no attempt to interview him after that.
Both the NFL and law enforcement said they were denied requests to obtain surveillance footage from the hotel where the incident took place, so it sounds less unreasonable that league officials were unable to view it. Still, between the lack of interviews and what the NFL reportedly told the Chiefs about pursuing the footage, mistakes were almost certainly made yet again.