Lamar Odom expressed his desire to make an NBA comeback as recently as nine months ago, and he has virtually no chance of making that happen as a player. But what about coaching?
TMZ asked Odom on Monday if he has considered returning to the NBA as an assistant coach, and the 37-year-old confirmed that is something he has interest in. When the photographer specifically mentioned Luke Walton and the Los Angeles Lakers, Odom said he would “love that.”
Odom, who spent seven seasons playing with the Lakers, said he has reached out to Walton and Walton seemed open to the idea of Lamar joining his staff.
While his chances of coaching with the Lakers might be a little better if Kobe Bryant was still playing, it’s not out of the question. Odom is very respected among basketball circles and played for 14 seasons. When you take away the substance abuse issues, he’s the exact type of player that would go on to become a coach.
Of course, you can’t just take away the substance abuse issues. Odom has to prove he can keep clean. He claims his latest stint in rehab was “life-changing,” and he is eyeing another potential career opportunity if Walton isn’t interested in his services. Here’s hoping Odom finds a constructive way to spend his time.
Lamar Odom has completed his latest stint in rehab, and the former NBA star is already thinking about his next career move.
In a brief chat with TMZ on Thursday, Odom described his experience at a rehabilitation facility in San Diego as “life-changing.” When asked if he has any plans going forward, he said he is considering doing a reality television show. Here’s the video:
Odom was also asked about his ex-wife Khloe Kardashian, and he described his relationship with her as “cordial” and said he is planning to reach out to the Kardashian family.
Overall, Odom looked and sounded good. It has been more than a year since he nearly lost his life to a drug overdose at a Nevada brothel, and things have not been going well for the former Los Angeles Laker since then. In a recent interview that should be airing in full at some point in the near future, Odom opened up about his struggles with addiction. You can see a clip from that interview here.
Whether it’s through a reality show or something else, we hope Odom finds a way to stay on the right path this time around.
Odom decided to check himself back into rehab over a month ago amid reports that he was once again struggling with addiction. He is said to have been fearful of a relapse with the anniversary of the death of his infant son having come up in December.
It has been more than a year since Odom nearly died of a drug overdose at a Nevada brothel in October 2015. He has since finalized his divorce from his ex-wife Khloe Kardashian. In a recent interview that is expected to air in full at some point now that Odom has completed his rehab, the former NBA star opened up about his battle with drugs and alcohol. You can see a portion of the interview here.
Here’s hoping Odom’s latest course of treatment helps get him on the right path.
“No better way to end 2016 than with my two favorite people #TheOdoms #RichSoil,” Odom captioned the photo.
Odom’s Instagram post was also his first since he checked himself back into rehab. The 37-year-old is scheduled to complete his program at some point this month. In a recent teaser from an interview that will air after he leaves rehab, Odom opened up about the drug overdose that nearly cost him his life. You can see the clip from the interview here.
Because of his drug and alcohol abuse, Odom has had some issues with his family relationships in the past. It’s good to see him spending time with his kids.
Lamar Odom recently checked himself into a rehabilitation facility to seek help once again for his substance abuse issues, but he opened up about the frightening year-plus he has had before he left.
In an interview with Travis Stork of the television show “The Doctors,” Odom for the first time discussed the stroke he suffered, which was a direct result of drug and alcohol use at a Nevada brothel in October 2015.
“I wasn’t in a good place mentally, especially mentally before that incident happened,” Odom said. “Me and my wife at the time (Khloe Kardashian) were going through some things. I was in a dark place. They say everything happens for a reason, so I guess the reason is I’m here. I can tell the story.”
When he first woke up in the hospital, Odom said he was unaware that he had suffered a stroke. He only knew that he was unable to speak.
“I didn’t know until Khloe told me that I was in a coma,” he said. “I couldn’t even speak at the time. I couldn’t talk. Nothing would come out when I would open my mouth, so I was scared.”
The promo ended with Stork asking Odom if the rumors about him using drugs and alcohol since the brothel incident are true. Stork said the remainder of the interview will air after Odom has completed his rehab treatment, as the clip was leaked and wasn’t even supposed to surface.
Lamar Odom will undoubtedly be feeling some strong emotions this week as the birthday of his late son once again passes, and that is reportedly one of the reasons the former NBA star decided to check himself back into a rehab facility.
Odom’s son, Jayden, was born on Dec. 15, 2005. He tragically died from SIDS the following June. According to TMZ, Odom’s son’s death was the primary reason the 37-year-old began using drugs, and he feared he might use again on or around Jayden’s birthday.
Odom is also said to be upset over the fact that his divorce from Khloe Kardashian was recently finalized.
This will be Odom’s second trip to rehab after his first stint in 2012 ultimately failed. The former Los Angeles Laker is aiming to remain at a facility in San Diego for 60 days. E! News reported earlier in the week that Odom has “not fallen off the wagon,” but an ESPN reporter who knows Odom painted a much more disturbing picture recently.
Obviously, Odom has been through a lot in his life. Here’s hoping his latest stay in rehab puts him on the right path.
“It was his own decision. He wanted to work on his mental and physical health for the next chapter of his life,” a source told the gossip publication. “He has not fallen off the wagon, but he understands the importance of maintaining his sobriety.”
It has been more than a year since Odom suffered a stroke and nearly lost his life during a drug and alcohol-fueled weekend at a brothel in Nevada. Over the summer, we heard a report that Odom’s family tried to stage an intervention that did not go well. There were even more disturbing rumors about things that were found scattered about his home, and Odom has since finalized his divorce with Khloe Kardashian.
There was a short period of time recently where Lamar Odom seemed to be heading down the right path. He attended a game as a guest of Kobe Bryant back in March and was again spotted at Kobe’s final game a month later. Unfortunately, there has been no positive news since.
On his podcast “The Lowe Post” this week, ESPN’s Zach Lowe asked colleague Ramona Shelburne if she has any updates on Odom’s health. Shelburne said she has heard very little, and what little she has heard does not sound good.
“Everything I’ve heard the last two or three months is that he is back doing all the stuff that got him into this in the first place,” Shelburne said. “I call people and say, ‘Have you heard from Lamar, do you know what’s going on?’ And they say, ‘Yeah, he’s battling the demons again and he’s back with the same old crew.’ It’s really sad.”
It has been more than a year since Odom overdosed at a brothel in Nevada and nearly lost his life. As Shelburne noted, those close to the former NBA star hoped that incident would be rock bottom, but Odom continues to struggle with addiction.
Kardashian first filed for divorce in 2013, but there have been various events that resulted in the process not being finalized. Khloe vowed to stay with Odom last year to help him get back on his feet when he nearly died of a drug overdose, and she even rented a home for him near hers for some time. Kardashian filed once again this year, supposedly telling Odom that she wants to move on and start a family with someone else.
Clarkson has indeed come off the bench in both of the team’s preseason games so far with Walton appearing to be committed to having former Sixth Man of the Year Lou Williams in the starting lineup. It’s a strategy that’s at least worth a try given Clarkson’s advantage over Williams in creating offense for others. It’s also one with a noted track record of success as Walton observed with Odom during their time as teammates on the Lakers. After being a starter for virtually his entire NBA career to that point, Odom was brought off the bench from the 2008-09 season onwards and not only earned his own Sixth Man of the Year Award out of it but helped the team capture back-to-back championships in that role as well.
While title aspirations are pretty far out of the grasp of the Lakers this season, Walton will be hoping to create a similar impact by having Clarkson, the third-year guard, carry the second unit. Breaking up The Swag Bros will be difficult, but Walton will still have the option of closing out games with Clarkson on the floor, so it should be a viable capacity for the 24-year-old to function in.