Lamar Odom’s girlfriend Sabrina Parr took to social media last week to reveal she has called off the couple’s engagement, but it does not look like the split lasted very long.
In an Instagram post last Wednesday, Parr wrote that she had made the difficult decision to end her relationship with Odom. What was more troubling was that she said Odom “desperately needs” help.
A lot has changed in a week, as Parr and Odom went on some sort of “quick little getaway” early Thursday morning. Parr shared a photo of her and Odom on her Instagram story and wrote “made it in time to celebrate our 1-year engagement anniversary.”
The concern Parr’s post last week created relates to Odom’s history with drug and alcohol addiction. He nearly died of a drug overdose at a Nevada brothel in October 2015. The former Los Angeles Laker has been open about his battle with addiction, though it’s unclear if that is what Parr was alluding to.
Lamar Odom has dealt with a lot of adversity over the past several years, and the former NBA star may be going through another rough patch in his personal life.
Odom’s girlfriend, Sabrina Parr, revealed on her Instagram story Wednesday night that she and Lamar have broken off their engagement. Parr indicated ending the relationship was her choice, as she called it a “difficult decision for me to make.” What was more concerning was that Parr said Odom “desperately needs” help.
“I love him dearly but I am no longer able to be by his side while he seeks the help he so desperately needs,” Parr said of Odom. “I wish him all the best and I am asking that you pray for everyone involved.”
You can see a screenshot of the Instagram story below:
The concern, obviously, is Odom’s history with drug and alcohol addiction. He nearly died of a drug overdose at a Nevada brothel in October 2015. The former Los Angeles Laker has been open about his battle with addiction, though it’s unclear if that is what Parr was alluding to.
Lamar Odom has recently been hearing some criticism from fans who are unhappy that he pawned his Los Angeles Lakers championship rings, and the former NBA star wishes one of his closest friends were still around to give him advice on how to handle the situation.
Odom and Kobe Bryant were close during their time playing together and afterword, and Odom told TMZ this week that he is hurting over Kobe’s death like many others. Bryant helped Odom through some of his lowest moments in life, and Odom says he would have leaned on Kobe for advice with many Lakers fans currently upset with him.
“I miss him just for his advice,” Odom said. “The first advice I would ask him for is how do I get these fans to forgive me for pawning those rings — just for his brotherhood and leadership.”
Odom nearly died of a drug overdose back in 2015. The incident took place not long after two of his closest friends died, and Kobe was one of the first people to reach out to Odom to help him then. Odom must be struggling with yet another major loss in his life.
Lamar Odom has made numerous mistakes in his life, and that includes the one night he blew a couple years of salary for most people in just one night.
Odom was a guest on “In Depth with Graham Bensinger” and talked about one of his worst financial decisions. Odom, who played 14 seasons in the NBA, recalled a night when he blew $120,000 at a club.
“I was in a club in Miami with my late great friend, Rasual Butler,” Odom told Bensinger. “It was Rasual’s birthday. When we go out, we like to drink, and we drank Moet Rose. And then we see this football player right in front of us. He and his guy are drinking Ace of Spades. He said to me, ‘L.O., step your game up.’ So I told the waiter that I need a hundred bottles of Moet Rose.
“I said I want them to bring ten now, and then give ten to these Puerto Rican kids. So now, I am going to assassinate the whole look that he got going on. I got the kids sitting right next to him, buying ten bottles of Moet Rose that I am about to drink with them. So that’s 20. I had this whole, little dark VIP section, and that was like 70 bottles. When I got to the 80th bottle, I told them to hand this out in the crowd and then bring the last 20 right back here.
“That is probably my worst. It probably cost like $120,000. I did it for pride — foolish pride.”
If it makes you feel any better, Lamar, everyone’s had one night like that. You get a little carried away, maybe try to show off a little, and then you really feel it the next day when you wake up, check your bank account, and realize what you did. That’s how people learn.
It is no secret that Lamar Odom’s one-year tenure with the Dallas Mavericks was an unhappy one for the player. Some explosive new claims, however, make it sound even worse than previously thought.
In his recently released autobiography Darkness to Light: A Memoir, Odom claimed that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban kicked Odom and berated him in front of his teammates as he struggled to adapt in Dallas.
Odom recalls one instance where, during a particularly bad game, he went to sit on the end of the bench after being substituted. Odom said Cuban kicked him in the shins, and credited teammate Vince Carter with grabbing his arm before he could physically retaliate — an act that Odom says saved his career.
“During one homestand, I was having possibly the worst game of the season,” Odom wrote, via Joey Hayden of the Dallas Morning News. “Head coach Rick Carlisle subbed me out, and I looked for a seat near the coaches, but none were available. So I went down to the only open seat at the end of the bench. Right next to Cuban.
“Cuban extended his right foot and kicked my shin. … I was stunned. This wasn’t a tap. I felt it. That was the last straw. It was painfully clear he did not respect me as a man. I felt the adrenaline rush through my body. In an instant I was transported back to Linden Boulevard, where the slightest act of disrespect could be fatal. As I sprang up, Vince Carter, who was sitting next to me, grabbed my arm tightly and leaned in.”
Odom said he finally broke on Apr. 7, 2012, when Cuban entered the locker room after Odom played just four first half minutes and challenged the player by asking if he was in or out.
“I didn’t take kindly to it,” Odom wrote. “Once again, he didn’t treat me like a man. That’s not how you handle something in front of the entire team. Man, it was heated. I had fantasies about decking him, but that wasn’t the way out. I never played another game for the Mavs.”
The story about the halftime confrontation actually checks out. The incident was widely reported at the time, and while the motivations described are Odom’s own interpretation, the details largely match up.
The latest season of the hit TV show “Dancing with the Stars” is going to feature a strong presence from the sports world.
ABC revealed the full celebrity cast of DWTS on Wednesday’s edition of “Good Morning America,” and two of the contestants are Ray Lewis and Lamar Odom. The latest season will premiere on Sept. 16.
Lewis has worked in various TV roles since retiring after the 2012 season, while Odom has been adamant about wanting to continue his professional basketball career. The former Los Angeles Laker spent a very brief stint with the BIG3 basketball league recently but never appeared in an actual game. He recently expressed interest in returning overseas to play.
One of the things Lewis became known for during his NFL career was his famous celebratory dance, so perhaps he will incorporate some of those moves into the show.
If DWTS is something you’re into, Lewis and Odom should make for intriguing contestants.
Lamar Odom seemed upset last month over the way his brief tenure with the BIG3 came to an abrupt end, but it sounds as though he has smoothed some things over with the league and founder Ice Cube in the weeks since.
Odom was asked by TMZ over the weekend about his deactivation from the BIG3, and he immediately waved his hand as if to say it is no big deal. He then called it a “miscommunication.”
“I guess it was a miscommunication, but it’s over,” Odom said. “I wish them well and all the success — Ice Cube and anybody that has anything to do with the BIG3. And I hope (his former team) the Enemies win.”
Lamar Odom was hoping to make a name for himself once again when he signed a contract to play with the BIG3, but his tenure in the league was a very brief one. Some have wondered if that will mark the end of competitive basketball for the 39-year-old, but he insists that is not the case.
“I’m gonna play professional basketball again, maybe in the Philippines or something like that,” Odom said. “That’s just another setback.”
Odom played in the Philippines prior to returning to the U.S. to sign with the BIG3, so he should be able to go back if he so chooses. He also recently announced that he has partnered with a company called MicDrop to work as a motivational speaker, and he says getting bounced from the BIG3 opened up that opportunity.
While he was clearly unhappy with the way Ice Cube’s league dropped him, Odom has tried to maintain a positive attitude. His game is obviously not going to return to anywhere near where it was before his drug overdose, but that does not seem to have discouraged him.
Lamar Odom’s brief time playing in the BIG3 came to an end this week when the league announced that he and three other players have been deactivated, and the former NBA star addressed the decision on Thursday.
In a lengthy statement he posted on Instagram, Odom said he is “extremely disappointed” with the way the BIG3 and founder Ice Cube handled the situation. He said it has been embarrassing for him and that he had to find out he had been deactivated by reading it on social media.
“Besides the embarrassment, it’s disappointing to read on IG that this decision had been made, especially without sharing it with myself or my manager,” Odom said. “Only after I heard from the media, I was then told that the big boys cutting checks decided that they had to deactivate me with no real specific explanation.”
Odom then addressed the comments Ice Cube made to TMZ, in which he indicated health and decreased ability may have been contributing factors in the league moving on from odom. The 39-year-old said he was “100% transparent about my condition” prior to signing his BIG3 contract and has been working hard to get in better shape.
For what it’s worth, Odom also praised Ice Cube and urged fans to not express any negativity toward the league. It’s not all that surprising that Odom didn’t last in the BIG3 considering everything he has gone through over the past several years, but you can’t blame him for being upset if he found out he had been cut the same way the rest of us learned about it.
BIG3 founder Ice Cube has addressed the reason why Lamar Odom was among the four prominent players who were deactivated by the league this week.
The BIG3 announced on Wednesday that Odom, Baron Davis, Jermaine O’Neal and Bonzi Wells had been deactivated. Davis hadn’t played in a game this season and made it sound like he had issues with the league. O’Neal and Wells hadn’t played in a game either, while Odom only had two points and four rebounds on the season.
Jermaine O’Neal was unable to play in today’s game for The Big 3, because of a health issue. He has an irregular heartbeat and they haven’t cleared him to play. He’s on medication, and is hoping to be back soon.