LeGarrette Blount and the New England Patriots sound as if they’re headed toward an inevitable reunion.
According to Jim McBride of the Boston Globe, it’s likely that a deal between Blount and the Patriots will get done “sooner rather than later.” Blount and owner Robert Kraft shared an embrace at Wednesday’s Celtics game, and the running back is loved by his teammates. He’s also familiar with the staff and system, and does not want to go anywhere else.
According to another report, Blount already has an offer on the table. He hasn’t taken it yet — perhaps the two sides are haggling over finances — but it certainly sounds more likely than not that Blount will be back with New England next season.
No running back left on the free agent market was as productive as LeGarrette Blount in 2017. The longer he remains unemployed, the more likely it seems he will return to the New England Patriots.
According to Mike Giardi of CSSNE.com, Blount and the Patriots have mutual interest in working out a new deal. The team has reportedly made the 30-year-old an offer, but it was apparently not high enough.
Can confirm there is an offer on the table for Blount from the Patriots. They would like a return. He would like a return. $$ matters
— Michael Giardi (@MikeGiardi) April 7, 2017
In reality, Blount is probably more valuable to the Patriots than any other team. He had by far his best season as a pro last year with 1,161 rushing yards and an NFL-best 18 scores on the ground. His power running style is perfectly suited as a change of pace for New England’s pass-heavy offense.
Based on what Blount said at an NBA game earlier this week, it’s safe to assume he wants more than the $1 million the Patriots paid him in 2017. He may not end up getting it.
The New England Patriots leaned on LeGarrette Blount heavily during their championship season last year, and the veteran running back wants to be rewarded for it.
Blount, 30, remains a free agent. Coming off a season in which he rushed for a career-high 1,161 yards and 18 touchdowns (which led the NFL), Blount wants the Patriots to pay him. He made that clear while cracking a joke at the Boston Celtics-Cleveland Cavaliers game Wednesday night.
LeGarrette Blount, at C's-Cavs, weaves through a group of reporters, turns and says, "See, tell them I still got it. Give me some money."
— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixYS) April 6, 2017
It’s worth noting that Blount and Patriots owner Robert Kraft shared a hug during the game, so there is clearly no bad blood between the two sides.
Dion Lewis, LeGarrette Blount, Stephon Gilmore, & Robert Kraft are at the @Celtics game tonight.
Kraft went over & hugged Blount.
— Only In Boston (@OnlyInBOS) April 6, 2017
The Patriots are said to want Blount back, but money is likely the issue. Bill Belichick sees an aging running back who is probably more valuable in New England than he is any other place, hence why Blount remains unsigned. Blount, on the other hand, wants to be paid more than the $1 million he got in 2016, and you can understand why after the numbers he put up.
New England has already signed Rex Burkhead, but there is still room for Blount. As long as this future Hall of Famer doesn’t take Blount’s spot on the roster, it seems likely he will ultimately remain with the Patriots.
LeGarrette Blount had his best season as a pro with the New England Patriots last year, and he may have priced himself out of town because of it.
On NFL Network’s “Free Agency Frenzy” Tuesday, Michael Silver said the “expectation” is that the Patriots are not going to re-sign Blount. The 30-year-old was a tremendous value in 2017, rushing for 1,161 yards and an NFL-leading 18 rushing touchdowns while earning roughly $1 million.
Blount isn’t going to be paid like one of the top running backs in the league, but his stock will probably never be higher. The Patriots typically don’t spend more than $2 million or so on starting running backs, so he knows he needs to look elsewhere if he wants to make more than that.
While the Patriots would like to retain Blount, they have never prioritized spending on tailbacks. They’ll simply address the position in the draft or with cheaper free agents if Blount moves on. There has been some speculation that a certain superstar could take less money to sign with New England, but that seems highly unlikely.
When all is said and done, the New England Patriots may be left with no one to bring to Washington, D.C., to be honored for winning the Super Bowl.
Running back LeGarrette Blount and defensive lineman Chris Long both revealed on Thursday that they have no intention of visiting the White House.
"I will NOT be going to the White House. I don't feel welcome in that house. I'll leave it at that." –@LG_Blount
— Rich Eisen Show (@RichEisenShow) February 9, 2017
Oh Chuck. Planned on skipping, hadn't been asked. Don't need an open letter explaining my own words to me. Not *joining* anyone. My call. https://t.co/XWo9x2XT40
— Chris Long (@JOEL9ONE) February 9, 2017
Blount and Long became the fourth and fifth Patriots players who say they have no plans to meet Donald Trump, and you can expect more to follow. Devin McCourty and Martellus Bennett are also staying home, and Bennett explained his decision before the Super Bowl. Another Pats star says he will skip the trip to the nation’s capital, but he didn’t go in 2015, either.
LeGarrette Blount had an awesome message for Tom Brady after the New England Patriots beat the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI on Sunday.
After the Patriots came back from down 28-3 to win the Super Bowl in overtime, Blount embraced his quarterback and delivered a message. This contains a curse word, but it’s awesome:
— Keith Britton (@KeithBritton86) February 6, 2017
That point to the chest, the huge, the profanity, everything was great. And Blount is right.
LeGarrette Blount’s first lost fumble since Week 1 of the season came at the worst time.
Blount lost a fumble on a first down rush early in the second quarter of the Super Bowl when the Patriots were in Falcons territory:
LeGarrette Blount fumble. pic.twitter.com/zRJIJxWTeR
— ⓂarcusD2.0 (@_MarcusD2_) February 6, 2017
The ball was stripped by Deion Jones, who also stuff Blount on 3rd and 1 in the first quarter to force a New England punt.
As if turning the ball over in Atlanta territory wasn’t bad enough, the Falcons turned the fumble into a touchdown as they drove down the field and scored to go up 7-0.
Atlanta moved the ball 71 yards in five plays with all the yards being gained by Julio Jones and Devonta Freeman.