The fans in attendance at Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut were not happy with the judges for the result of the Matt Mitrione-Roy Nelson fight at Bellator 194 on Friday night.
Mitrione won the fight by majority decision, with the judges scoring the fight 28-28, 29-28 and 29-28 in favor of Mitrione.
After the result was announced, fans could be heard booing:
— Well, well it's the Big Show! Yes it's a big bad s (@gabagoool) February 17, 2018
Many felt that Mitrione won the first two rounds but that Nelson won the third round, possibly by a 10-8 score thanks to his takedown and dominance in the ensuing ground and pound. One of the judges scored it a draw.
Mitrione was interviewed in the cage after his win, and the fans continued to boo. Asked about the result, Mitrione said “I’m not a judge. I’ll see you guys in the next round.”
The Mitrione-Nelson fight was one of the four quarterfinal matches in the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix. Mitrione advances to face the winner of Ryan Bader-King Mo. In the other half, Chael Sonnen will face the winner of Fedor Emelianenko-Frank Mir.
- matt mitrione
Fedor Emelianenko has signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator, the promotion announced Saturday, and his first fight for the company will be at Bellator 172 in February against Matt Mitrione.
The two will headline the fight card, which will be held on Feb. 21 at SAP Center in San Jose and televised on Spike.
One regarded as the best fighter in the world, the luster came off Fedor after he lost three Strikeforce fights in a row from 2010-2011. He has aged and is now 40, but he has won five in a row since then, and he will still attract an audience based on his name alone.
Mitrione is 11-5 as a pro. Though he gained a name by beating Kimbo Slice in 2010, he’s lost to most of the big-name fighters he’s faced, such as Travis Browne, Roy Nelson and Brendan Schaub.
Bellator is reportedly working on putting together what might but one of its most notable fights ever.
According to Flo Combat, Bellator is working on a potential fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Mitrione for early 2017. They say the fight is close to being a done deal.
Fedor has fought twice since retiring from MMA in 2012. He beat Singh Jaideep on Dec. 31, 2015 and Fabio Maldonado in June. The Last Emperor has won five straight fights since going on a three-fight losing streak in Strikeforce.
Mitrione is 11-5 in his career and has won both of his fights since signing with Bellator this year. He previously fought in the UFC and notably beat the late Kimbo Slice back in 2010.
We have seen some nasty battle wounds suffered by those involved in combat sports, but the eye injury suffered by Matt Mitrione may be the worst ever.
Mitrione was poked in the eye twice during his fight against Travis Browne for the UFC Fight Night card. Browne said the eye pokes were inadvertent, but they did a lot of damage and made it extremely difficult for Mitrione to compete. He ended up losing by TKO in the third round.
Browne said he apologized for the eye pokes:
Browne: I was up and down apologizing to Matt. I’m not a dirty fighter. I was telling him during the fight.
— MMAFighting.com (@MMAFighting) January 18, 2016
Mitrione said after the fight that they bothered him:
I'm sorry I lost tonight. If this was my last fight, I wanted to go out on my shield. The eye pokes had an effect but things happen
— Matt Mitrione (@mattmitrione) January 18, 2016
OK, now that we got all that out of the way, it’s time to unveil to you the most gruesome eye injury you could imagine. Keep in mind that Mitrione said later that his eye injury was a broken orbital floor. Buckle up, because this is a nasty one.
Transgender MMA fighter Fallon Fox has been a controversial topic of discussion over the last month. The 36-year-old Fox made her MMA debut last may and has beaten two female fighters. After her fight last month, it was revealed that Fox underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006 and has been receiving hormonal therapy for 10 years.
Her unique situation has resulted in a number of fighters and people involved with MMA feeling that Fox has an unfair advantage and should not be able to fight against women. Matt Mitrione was suspended indefinitely by the UFC on Monday for taking it a step too far and calling Fox “a disgusting freak.”
“I watched one of the fight videos and holy (expletive), I haven’t seen a man beat a woman (like that) since Chris Brown beat Rihanna,” Mitrione told Fuel TV’s Ariel Helwani in an interview with SB Nation on Monday, via FOXSports.com. “That’s exceptional how he beats innocent, unknowing women like that.
“She’s not a he. He’s a he,” Mitrione continued. “He’s chromosomally a man. He had a gender change, not a sex change. He’s still a man. He was a man for 31 years. Thirty-one years. That’s a couple years younger than I am. He’s a man. Six years of taking performance de-hancing drugs, you think is going to change all that? That’s ridiculous. That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak.”
The UFC released a statement regarding Mitrione’s suspension.
“The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on the ‘MMA Hour,’” the statement read. “The organization finds Mr. Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and — as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct — Mr. Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated.”
While Mitrione’s comments certainly should not be tolerated, it should be noted that the UFC’s pattern of discipline regarding Fox has already been incredibly inconsistent. Joe Rogan was not suspended last month after he said Fox is “a man without a d—” and called it “f—–g crazy” to allow her to fight against women. Even Dana White made some insensitive comments a few weeks ago when he referred to Fox as “he” and “him”
If the UFC is going to discipline fighters for making idiotic remarks about Fox, its front office workers and television personalities should be held to the same standard. You can’t expect a fighter to censor himself when White and Rogan don’t feel the need to do so.
Image via FallonFox.com
Have you ever seen a team perform so poorly that you said they should be demoted from a league or contracted as a franchise? The Pittsburgh Pirates definitely come to mind, as have the Detroit Lions. Unfortunately in most professional sports leagues nothing that drastic can happen (unless it’s the British Premier League). But in UFC, President Dana White rules with an iron fist and calls all the shots. He rolls with so much power that he can just decide if he wants to cut a guy and kick him out of the league on a whim. That’s exactly what happened on Saturday night after UFC 113 in Montreal, only White had good reason to cut two fighters.
White, who once said that Kimbo Slice might lose to 44-year-old Ken Shamrock because Kimbo sucks, cut Slice after his poor performance against Matt Mitrione. Kimbo had some good takedowns but he seemed to tire quickly and he was thoroughly dominated in the second round. Mitrione crushed Kimbo with an arsenal of kicks that had Kimbo limping. Once the fighters got on the ground, Mitrione proceeded to play volleyball with Kimbo’s head until the fight was called a TKO. Even though White appreciates the ratings and drawing power of Kimbo, I’m sure he’s officially decided that Kimbo isn’t UFC material.
I’m surprised that White didn’t know better after Kimbo’s 14-second loss to Shamrock replacement, Seth Petruzelli. I’m guessing White did know better but he was probably convinced that the strong ratings was worth giving Kimbo a shot. The other fighter Dana White cut after UFC 113 was Paul Daley. Daley sucker-punched Josh Koscheck after their fight ended and White says “there’s no excuse for that.” White is definitely extreme in his measures but nobody will complain about cutting Daley. Some fans are already questioning the decision to cut Kimbo because of the ratings he draws. I say they should be proud that White is more concerned with his product.