Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditSaturday, July 2, 2022

Articles tagged: Sacramento Kings

Shaq to sell minority ownership share of Sacramento Kings

Shaquille O'Neal

Shaquille O’Neal will have to sell his minority ownership share of the Sacramento Kings, according to a report.

Shaq is a brand ambassador for Wynn Bet, which is a gambling company. Due to his relationship with Wynn, he cannot have an ownership stake in an NBA team and will have to sell his position in the Kings.

It’s unclear whether Shaq has initiated a sale or sold his stake in the team. The 49-year-old former center became a minority owner of the Kings in 2013. The Hall of Famer concluded his playing career in 2011.

According to one report, Shaq purchased a 1 percent stake in the Kings in 2013. He reportedly netted $6 million through his investment in the team.

Current majority owner Vivek Ranadive purchased a 65 percent share of the team in 2013 for $348 million. That means Shaq’s initial investment was around $5.35 million. His investment must have risen to over $11 million in value over his eight-year ownership term.

O’Neal is known for his endorsement deals and businesses away from the court. He has remained a popular figure since retiring and continues to work as an analyst for TNT. Maybe he keeps working so hard because he wants to keep up with current NBA salaries.

Ben Simmons reportedly receiving trade interest from these teams

Ben Simmons

A Ben Simmons trade still does not appear imminent, but the Philadelphia 76ers guard has been attracting interest from at least five teams.

According to Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report, the Cavaliers, Pacers, Timberwolves, Kings, and Raptors have all showed interest in Simmons. Notably, these teams are all interested in Simmons as a playmaking forward, not as a guard.

The Sixers are said to have not made any significant traction on a Simmons deal, as no interested team has been willing to part with the sort of All-Star caliber player the team wants as part of any trade. However, executives around the league overwhelmingly believe Simmons will be dealt prior to the start of next season.

Philadelphia has made its asking price clear for Simmons, and they’re not compromising so far. They don’t have any real need to. The 25-year-old is still an elite defender, and a creative team could have plenty of use for him despite his flawed offense.

Marvin Bagley responds to controversy over his Twitter shot at Kings

Marvin Bagley

Marvin Bagley is starting to look like the Darko Milicic of the 2018 NBA Draft, and his activity on social media definitely is not helping either.

Speaking this week on the “Halfway Decent Pod,” the Sacramento Kings big man Bagley responded to the recent controversy that he created by “liking” a tweet dissing the team.

“That just came from frustration,” Bagley said, per Jason Anderson of the Sacramento Bee. “I wouldn’t even say frustration, just that built-up fire. I think I did it after watching Trae [Young] go for 50 in the playoffs and they’re winning. As a competitor, that just makes me want to get to that and I need to be there. I want to be there bad. I think, doing that, it was just one of those things where the competitor came out in me, like I’ve got to be there. I’ve got to do whatever I’ve got to do to be in this position.

“For me, personally, my personal goals and where I’m trying to get to in my career, I’ve got to make it happen,” Bagley added. “I’ve got to do everything I’ve got to do to make it happen. I think liking that tweet, that’s where that came from and it is what it is. People [are] going to take it and run with it. It is what it is. I did it. It’s my Twitter. I can like and do whatever I want on my account. I’m not hurting nobody. I’m not harming nobody. But you already know how the fans take stuff and want to run with something.”

The 22-year-old Bagley has failed to meet expectations since being drafted by the Kings with the No. 2 overall pick in 2018, in large part due to injury. Meanwhile, three other players from the top of that draft, Young, Deandre Ayton, and Luka Doncic, have already ascended to superstardom.

The tweet Bagley “liked” hinted that he wanted out of Sacramento. Bagley’s father also recently called for the Kings to trade his son. That means there is probably more than an ounce of truth to the sentiment Bagley expressed.

Charles Barkley has blunt answer to question about Sacramento Kings

Charles Barkley

Charles Barkley had a blunt answer to a question about the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday.

Barkley was interviewed by ABC10 in Sacramento’s Sean Cunningham. Cunningham asked whether Barkley was encouraged about the Kings’ future. Barkley said no and explained why.

The TNT analyst complimented the Kings’ fanbase for being passionate, but he said the team should already be good.

Barkley is right.

It’s been 15 years since the Kings made the postseason. They were a really strong team before that with Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby and some of their other top players. But they have just failed to rebuild since then.

They took a step forward a few seasons ago when they went 39-43, but they fired Dave Joerger. They have gone backwards since then with consecutive 31-41 seasons. The Kings need to turn things around finally. But Barkley is justified for not having faith in them to do so.

Luke Walton expected to return as Kings coach

Luke Walton

Luke Walton looks like he is going to get another shot to show what he can do as the head coach of the Sacramento Kings.

Walton is expected to return next season as the Kings’ coach, NBC Sports Bay Area’s James Ham reported on Monday.

This report actually is not too surprising. A report in March said that Walton’s job was safe at least through the current season. Then last week he got an endorsement from De’Aaron Fox.

The Kings have gone 31-41 in consecutive seasons under Walton. That’s below where they expect to be, but sadly the team’s second-highest winning percentage since 2009.

Walton will likely need to show improvement next season otherwise his job status could become in jeopardy. Walton has completed two seasons as head coach of the Kings, which followed three lackluster seasons as the Lakers’ head coach.

De’Aaron Fox wants Kings to keep Luke Walton as coach

The Sacramento Kings have a decision to make on the status of Luke Walton, and the team’s star player is throwing his support behind his coach.

De’Aaron Fox made clear that he wants the Kings to keep Walton and preserve some continuity. Fox said Walton has become “someone that I’ve grown to trust” and added that teams turn into winners when “players play together longer and develop chemistry, and coaches continue to grow and trust all their players.”

“If you’re not winning as a team, guys get traded, guys who were barely hanging on … get cut and are out the league and coaches get fired,” Fox told Howard Beck of SI. “Everybody wants to continue to grow together and keep this group together, and continue to play for a coach that you trust in.”

It’s not clear how much weight Fox’s words will carry, but they’re probably worth noting since he’s the franchise player. GM Monte McNair was hired in September, and while he’s worked well with Walton, it remains a simple fact that the current coach was not McNair’s hire. At 30-38, the Kings are set to miss the playoffs again as well. Add in the fact that Walton is only 61-79 as the team’s coach and it’s understandable why he’s on the hot seat.

On the other hand, the Kings have hung in there despite injuries to several key players throughout the season, and have flashed exciting potential on offense. Plus, the Kings may not be eager to pay off the $11.5 million Walton is owed over the next two seasons while simultaneously hiring someone else to replace him.

There have been some indications fairly recently that Walton’s job security is in decent shape, though not completely safe. Fox’s comments can only help solidify that.

Marvin Bagley’s father tells Sacramento Kings to trade his son

Marvin Bagley III

Marvin Bagley III’s father is making some trade demands.

Bagley’s father is upset with the way the Kings have handled his son. He tweeted the Kings on Saturday to ask them to “please trade Marvin Bagley III ASAP!”

Bagley later deleted the tweet.

On Tuesday, Bagley shared his frustration with how the Kings have treated Marvin III.

Bagley is in his third season with the Kings after they made him the No. 2 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. He was taken a pick ahead of Luka Doncic, who has been a star so far in his NBA career.

Bagley has dealt with injuries and only played in 81 career games. He has averaged 14.6 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. He’s only averaging 24.8 minutes per game and wasn’t on the floor at the end of Tuesday’s win over Denver.

Video: Kings beat Nuggets on wild final play in overtime

Buddy Hield Kings

The Sacramento Kings beat the Denver Nuggets 124-122 in overtime on Wednesday night on a wild final play.

The Nuggets had the ball with 6.5 seconds left and inbounded to Nikola Jokic, who had the ball stolen from him. The Kings threw the ball ahead to Harrison Barnes, who went in for the winning dunk. Barnes missed the dunk, but luckily Buddy Hield was there for the tip-in at the buzzer.

What a play by Hield to bail out Barnes.

Hield went 5/11 on threes for 22 points and helped Sacramento get off to a nice 1-0 start with a road win over a top Western Conference team. And the Kings sure love to run off the floor after Hield wins games for them.

Bogdan Bogdanovic seems to shade Kings for not improving roster

Bogdan Bogdanovic

Bogdan Bogdanovic is no longer a member of the Sacramento Kings, and now he appears to be getting in a parting shot.

Speaking on Wednesday for the first time as an Atlanta Hawk, Bogdanovic seemed critical of the Kings’ inability to improve their roster this offseason.

“Since Sacramento didn’t do any moves in the offseason, I was like, ‘OK, I’m ready to leave,'” he said, per Chris Kirschner of The Athletic. “I was excited about Atlanta.”

Bogdanovic, 28, was a restricted free agent but asked the Kings not to match his offer sheet from Atlanta. He previously had a deal with another Eastern Conference team that fell through amid significant drama.

Sacramento indeed did little to bolster their team this offseason other than drafting rookie guard Tyrese Haliburton. They signed Hassan Whiteside and Chimezie Metu to fill their frontcourt, but both those moves took place after Bogdanovic had already left.

Even the Kings who did stay sound unhappy with the direction of the team. One of the NBA’s most dysfunctional franchises over the last decade clearly still remains so.

Hassan Whiteside could return to Kings?

Hassan Whiteside

Hassan Whiteside has had a lot of stops since playing for the Sacramento Kings, but he could just find his way back there this offseason.

John Hollinger of The Athletic reported this week the Kings have interest in signing Whiteside. The reigning NBA blocks leader remains without a deal, and Hollinger notes that Sacramento still has its full mid-level exception.

Whiteside, 31, was originally drafted by the Kings back in 2010. He had a forgettable tenure with them however and wound up washing out of the league for a few years. After stints in China and Lebanon, Whiteside finally returned to the NBA and raised his profile with strong play for the Miami Heat beginning in 2015.

The Kings need a big man after losing both Alex Len and Harry Giles in free agency. Whiteside is not really a fit on a contender due to his knack for lazy defense and empty stat-chasing. But Sacramento could certainly do worse than a seven-foot inside presence like Whiteside, deficiencies and all.

Photo: Frenchieinportland/Wikimedia via CC-BY-SA 4.0