The San Diego Chargers and coach Mike McCoy will reportedly soon be parting ways.
According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, McCoy is “almost certain” to be fired at the end of the season, with the team likely on the move to Los Angeles without him.
Provided the Chargers do move to Los Angeles, they may be willing to make a bigger name hire than they have in the past to compete with the Rams and make something of a splash in the bigger market.
After a pair of 9-7 seasons and a playoff berth, McCoy has overseen two poor seasons, including a 4-12 campaign in 2015. It comes out to a 27-35 record over four seasons, and given his general manager’s comments earlier in the season, this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.
The San Diego Chargers have apologized after a video surfaced that appeared to show a stadium security guard masturbating near the team’s cheerleaders while they performed.
Some footage that was recorded by a fan and later posted on social media shows a man in an Elite Security windbreaker doing something very disturbing in his pocket while standing a few feet from the Chargers cheerleaders. We won’t show you the video for obvious reasons, but Deadspin provided it.
Shortly after Deadspin posted on the subject, the Chargers issued a statement.
“We are aware of the disturbing actions of an Elite security staff member at Sunday’s game. We apologize to any fans who may have witnessed the incident,” the team wrote. “Elite Security is currently investigating the incident and has vowed to take immediate and appropriate action.”
Elite Security, which is hired as a contractor by the Chargers for home games, put out a statement of its own.
“Elite has become aware of the social media post of inappropriate actions of an Elite staff member at Qualcomm Stadium on December 18th,” the company said. “Elite has employed thousands of people over the past 21 years, insists on the highest moral standards from our employees and regrets this isolated incident. Elite is currently investigating the incident and has no additional comment at this time.”
The San Diego Chargers played a home game in a road environment on Sunday, and it’s fair to wonder if that was part of the reason they ultimately lost by a field goal. But don’t worry, it wasn’t the reason they chose to skip individual pregame introductions.
Rather than calling out names over the stadium PA system, the Chargers decided to quietly take the field as a team. Head coach Mike McCoy said the decision was made as a sign of unity.
Mike McCoy on why no individual pre-game introductions: "We wanted to come out as a team. … We're going to stick together."
Most of us aren’t buying that. The truth of the matter is there were so many Oakland Raiders fans in the stands that Chargers introductions would have been met with a sea of boos. And if there was any doubt over whether the Chargers noticed that hardly any of their “fans” showed up, Philip Rivers put those questions to rest.
Philip Rivers: "You saw us go silent count all game. It was a road game." Said he's dealt with similar crowd before. "In Oakland."
The Chargers appear all but certain to move to L.A. Their stadium proposal was shot down when it went to vote back in November, and they have until next month to exercise their option to relocate. In fact, there have been rumblings that they are considering rebranding as well.
“I know nothing, but it’s what is shaping up to be a sad, sad ending to 55 years, if what could happen, happens,” Rivers said after the game. “And I hate that. And it may not; shoot, maybe we’re here for another 55. I don’t know. I’m just saying, if it is, some of the way it’s coming to is pretty gross.”
Oakland, on the other hand, is in a playoff hunt. It’s no surprise their fans took over Qualcomm Stadium.
Scott Kaplan, a host on The Mighty 1090 in San Diego, reported Sunday that Chargers owner Dean Spanos is leaning towards moving to Los Angeles after San Diego voters rejected a stadium proposal in November.
.@ScottKaplan talked with Dean Spanos today, who told him that he's leaning towards moving the @chargers to L.A. after disappointing vote.
57% of voters were against the measure. The Chargers have been exploring a move and were approved in January to move to Los Angeles. They have until Jan. 15 to exercise that option.
If they move to Los Angeles, the Chargers would be in competition for fans in the same marketplace as the Rams. With the Rams struggling so much, the Chargers would have an opportunity to capitalize. Rebranding would also be extremely interesting, as the Chargers do have some history in LA. The franchise’s inaugural season in the AFL in 1960 was as the Los Angeles Chargers before they moved to San Diego. Perhaps they figure that given some of the bad blood between San Diego and LA sports teams, some LA fans would be slow to embrace the Chargers. Maybe they think that rebranding could give the city a feeling that this is their own team.
After their stadium measure was voted down earlier in the month, the San Diego Chargers aren’t sure where they will be next season. One Los Angeles Rams executive said the team would welcome the Chargers to their city with open arms.
Rams CEO Kevin Demoff told NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport that the two teams are discussing a possible Chargers move to Los Angeles, and that the Rams would be happy to accommodate them.
“There are no hurdles to any deal,” Demoff said, via Kevin Patra of NFL Media. “The relationship between the two owners is in a good place and I believe the Chargers feel welcomed. Nothing stands in their way of moving if that is what they want to do. I would also say we have no insight on what their decision will be. It’s only that we have worked hard to make sure their L.A. option is a good one.”
The Chargers remaining in San Diego is starting to look less and less likely, though it is the outcome the league would prefer. Team chairman Dean Spanos has said he is deferring a decision on possible relocation until after the season.
The San Diego Chargers blew a 13-point lead in the last five minutes of Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints, and coach Mike McCoy is struggling to contain his frustration.
The Chargers coach gave a blunt assessment of his feelings after the loss dropped his team to 1-3.
“Furious,” McCoy said after the 35-34 defeat, via Eric D. Williams of ESPN. “It’s a major disappointment. You get the lead we had, and to fall apart — a major disappointment. Frustration is an understatement. I can’t say right now in this microphone how I really, truly feel.”
The results could put McCoy’s job under threat, but he said he doesn’t have time to worry about that.
“I know one way — to come in tomorrow, work my ass off and get this team ready to go to Oakland,” McCoy said on the topic of job security. “I don’t worry about any of that. I am coaching this football team the way I know how to do it, and we’re going to grind.”
McCoy was nearly fired after last season, so he really couldn’t afford the 1-3 start to this year. Former NFL coach Ken Whisenhunt is on his staff, so there’s even a potential interim replacement if things don’t turn around quickly.
The Chargers may be playing out the string in San Diego.
According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, there is a growing belief among Chargers brass that the ballot initiative to secure a new downtown stadium will fail in November, making a move to Los Angeles “inevitable.”
For that funding referendum, the Chargers would need a two-thirds majority to get what they want, and analysts view that as extremely unlikely. In fact, sources told La Canfora that it would be “shocking” if the Chargers are still in San Diego in 2017.
“It’s pretty cut and dry,” one official said. “There is no unknown solution waiting to surface.”
The likely scenario, ultimately, will be the Chargers taking advantage of the deal they made with the Rams last winter that will allow them to share the city of Los Angeles as well as the planned new stadium there. The Chargers clearly feel they have no further recourse.