Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditThursday, October 1, 2020

Articles tagged: San Diego Chargers

Joey Bosa reportedly will not report to Chargers camp amid contract dispute

Joey Bosa NFL Combine

Joey Bosa’s NFL career is off to an inauspicious start.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Bosa will not be in training camp on Friday as he still has not signed a rookie contract with the San Diego Chargers.

Bosa has already missed OTAs and the team’s mandatory minicamp, and now he’ll miss the start of training camp. The holdup is reportedly largely over the deferred payment of Bosa’s signing bonus. Offset language, which would allow the Chargers to pay the remaining portion of his salary instead of the entire thing should Bosa ever be released and sign with a new team, is also a sticking point.

“It really just comes down to generally this — there’s some things that are negotiable, and money always is negotiable, obviously — but there’s certain things in contracts language-wise, whether you’re picked third, 33rd or 203rd, there’s certain things of consistency and doing things the same way for everyone on the team,” Chargers GM Tom Telesco said earlier in the week, via ESPN’s Eric D. Williams. “And we’re far from uncommon with how we work. I know a lot of other teams probably operate the same way. We try to keep some things constant in everyone’s contract, whether you’re Philip Rivers or the 85th guy on the football team. So that’s kind of where we are. We’re still working through it.”

The Chargers targeted Bosa in the draft from the start. They probably didn’t bank on having such a hard time getting him into camp though.

Chargers were amused by lack of pre-draft links to Joey Bosa

Joey Bosa NFL Combine

The San Diego Chargers had Joey Bosa at the top of their draft board from January onward, and they did a fantastic job of hiding it.

The Chargers brass, including president John Spanos, GM Tom Telesco, and coach Mike McCoy, were in agreement that the Ohio State defensive lineman would be the favorite to go No. 3 to the Chargers provided he was there, and they knew it from the Fiesta Bowl onward, according to the team’s official site.

“Watching Joey play in the Fiesta Bowl, I left there thinking if he does declare, and if he is there at number three, we’ve got to take him,” Telesco said.

The Chargers did their research on Bosa and loved everything they heard, and by April, the front office had basically settled on Bosa. They even celebrated when Los Angeles and Philadelphia swung trades into the top two with the intention of picking quarterbacks, knowing those deals ensured that Bosa would be there for them at No. 3.

Despite all this, nobody ever caught on to San Diego’s plans.

“To be honest, nobody really asked me about Joey Bosa when it came to this draft class,” Telesco said. “And I wasn’t going to go out of my way to talk about him. But if someone asked about him, I would have talked about him.”

“It was amusing to see,” Spanos added. “We would sit back, read these mock drafts and see who people thought we would take. We would look around at each other and say, ‘Man, I can’t believe no one knows.'”

In fact, Bosa was a frequent mock choice for the Cowboys at No. 5, though it was reported before the draft that they didn’t want him. For all the inside sources and reports that fly around when the draft happens, it’s rather impressive that nobody ever caught on to San Diego’s plans.

Las Vegas mayor: City would look at Chargers if Raiders move falls through

Dean Spanos

The city of Las Vegas is clearly quite serious about getting an NFL team – so serious, in fact, that they’re formulating a backup plan if the proposed relocation of the Oakland Raiders doesn’t come to fruition.

Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman appeared on “The Dan Patrick Show” Thursday and divulged that if a Raiders move falls through, they’d definitely be interested in working with the Spanos family and the Chargers.

“My husband and I have had season tickets at the Chargers for the past 30-plus years and we would love that, and Alex Spanos already has some relationship with us here in the city. He’s been a developer for us in the ’70s and ’80s,” Goodman said. “I know they’re absolutely looking to move and that’s another place to go.”

It seems entirely likely at this point that the NFL will land in Vegas sooner rather than later. The Raiders are the more serious of the suitors at this moment in time, as is evidenced by some of Mark Davis’s recent actions. For now, the Chargers – and the league – appear focused on finding a solution to keep them in San Diego.

H/T ProFootballTalk

Roger Goodell implies new San Diego stadium will bring Super Bowl to city

Roger Goodell

There appears to be growing momentum to build a new stadium in San Diego to keep the Chargers there beyond the 2016 season, and Roger Goodell has added fuel to that fire.

The NFL commissioner was in San Diego on Saturday at the invitation of Chargers chairman Dean Spanos to speak to a rally of 4,000 fans who were attempting to gather signatures backing the effort to build a new stadium. Goodell told the assembled fans that if the Chargers get a new stadium, the league’s owners would likely be on board with bringing the Super Bowl back to San Diego for the first time since 2003.

“I’m confident that if they can get a stadium built here, the owners will want to support it with a Super Bowl,” Goodell said, via Eric D. Williams of ESPN. “I think that’s what this community deserves, and we’re all going to work to try and find a solution.”

If the new $1.8 billion stadium and convention center garners over 66,000 signatures in support, it will be passed off to the city council to either be voted on or put on the ballot in November.

“I think the Chargers belong in San Diego,” Goodell said. “I think this is a great community, a great fan base. Everyone has acknowledged that we need a new stadium.”

Even Spanos, who publicly flirted with a move to Los Angeles in 2015, sounded cautiously optimistic.

“We’re committed to follow this thing through,” Spanos said. “I’m optimistic and obviously overwhelmed today. I’m encouraged, but we still have a long ways to go.”

Perhaps Spanos’s assertions about staying in San Diego weren’t all talk. Maybe all this optimism will quiet some of the tensions between players and fans as well.

Report: Chargers willing to listen to offers for third pick in draft

Dean Spanos

The San Diego Chargers are willing to listen to any trade proposals that they receive for the third overall pick in the NFL Draft, according to a report.

Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Saturday that the Chargers are very much open to the possibility of trading the number three pick if the offer is right, according to a source.

Gehlken noted that this is par for the course for most teams, but also issued a reminder that the Chargers have gone that route before. San Diego had the first overall pick in both 2001 and 2004 and traded the pick both times.

The Chargers aren’t the only team with a high draft pick that has floated the possibility of moving out of that spot, as the Titans have done so as well. It sounds like both teams are just floating the possibility, and it’ll be a while before anything comes of it, if at all.

Dean Spanos says Chargers trying ‘as hard as we can’ for San Diego deal

Dean Spanos

Chargers owner Dean Spanos asserted his desire to get a deal done with San Diego so the team can stay.

The team is pushing for a ballot initiative to secure taxpayer money for a new stadium, and with the team now having a year before they have to make a decision on a Los Angeles move, Spanos says they are working hard to stay where they are.

“Whatever we need to do, we’re going to do what we need to do to get this done,” Spanos said, via Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “We’re trying as hard as we can. I can’t do it myself. It’s going to take the effort of the mayor; politically we need support. The business community needs to step up. I think once we have a definitive plan in place they’ll get behind us and support us. It has to economically make sense for the voters, and I think (the business community) will help make that case down the line and they’ll support us.

“Our product on the field will be helpful,” Spanos added. “4-12 isn’t going to help much.”

Is this a case of Spanos seriously wanting to stay in San Diego or just saying all the right things? It’s hard to tell. He does sound optimistic, however, which is something of a change in tone from Spanos.

The Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016, but the future beyond that is hazy. They’ve struggled to gain the support they need for a new stadium, and have a preliminary deal in place to share a stadium in Inglewood with the Rams if they so desire.

Chargers players face backlash after calling for sellouts on Twitter

Melvin Ingram

A pair of Chargers players faced significant backlash for their call to San Diego fans.

Friday night, Melvin Ingram and Keenan Allen both tweeted to fans telling them to show up to games since the team is staying. While well-intentioned, it’s easy to argue that they came off as standoffish. Here’s just a small sampling of fans who felt the same way:

Perhaps these messages were meant to rally the fanbase, but they both come off rather standoffish. The fans noticed, and were very loud and clear in their response: we were there all along, how about you win some games?

So, uh, in short, whoops. Bad idea, guys. This is just a small sampling of the responses that were lobbed their way. Both were quick to clarify their remarks upon seeing the torrent of angry tweets.

The fact of the matter is the Chargers could sell out every game and make the playoffs, but none of it would matter if the team can’t get the deal it wants to build a new stadium in light of the agreement with the Rams.

Chargers’ Keenan Allen, Melvin Ingram urging fans to attend games in San Diego

Melvin Ingram

Some Chargers players are pretty pumped up that the team will be spending the 2016 season in San Diego, and they took to Twitter Friday to urge fans to attend the team’s home games.

Shortly after the news was announced, wide receiver Keenan Allen said to fans the “stadium better be packed.”

Linebacker Melvin Ingram also issued a challenge to get the fans to show up:

It’s obvious why the players would want the fan support at games, but they’re really mistaken about who’s to blame for the issue. It’s mostly about the owner Dean Spanos not wanting to privately fund a stadium in San Diego, which is why he is looking to move. Why would fans pay to support a team owned by a man who’s trying to leave?

Of course, players don’t always see issues that way, and it’s much easier to call out fans than a team owner.

Chargers owner says team will play in San Diego for 2016

Dean Spanos

Chargers owner Dean Spanos announced Friday that the team will remain in San Diego for the 2016 NFL season despite reaching agreement with the Rams on joining them in Inglewood.

“Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium,” Spanos announced in a statement.

“I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.”

The Chargers had two options: remain in San Diego for 2016 or join the Rams in the LA Coliseum. It’s just as well for them to play the season in San Diego for continuity purposes rather than move to LA just to be in a temporary home. But let’s be realistic: Spanos wants out of San Diego long term. He’ll be moving the team to LA when the Inglewood site is ready. This is probably his strategy to keep fans in SD optimistic so that they actually pay to attend games this season.

Rams, Chargers have preliminary Inglewood stadium deal

Inglewood NFL stadium

The Los Angeles Rams have reached a deal in principle with the Chargers over the parameters of a stadium-sharing agreement in Inglewood, according to a report.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Friday that the two sides have a deal which would clear the way for the Chargers to move to Los Angeles if they wish to do so.

The agreement doesn’t mean a move is definitely happening immediately, or even at all. The Chargers could defer the move to the 2017 season and continue to explore solutions in San Diego, which it sounds like they currently plan to do. As CBS Sports’s Jason La Canfora noted, the ball is now in Chargers owner Dean Spanos’s court, and he has several options as to what his next move will be.

Things came together fairly quickly once the Rams’ move was approved, with the two sides having already been reportedly close to an agreement two weeks ago.