Trevor Bauer believes there will be an MLB season this year.
Bauer joined “Tiki and Tierney” on CBS Sports Radio/CBS Sports Network for an interview on Thursday. The outspoken Cincinnati Reds pitcher made headlines on Wednesday for calling MLB’s plan to return to play “laughable.”
Bauer told Tiki and Tierney that he feels the players are willing to make concessions to have a season happen, and that any leaks in discussions between them and the teams are coming from the side of the owners.
“The players have been more than willing to compromise. We’ve already agreed to take pay cuts at a prorated amount. We all want to be on the field and provide entertainment for the fans, but at the same time it has to be done in good faith. We have to be treated fairly for the jobs we do and the risks we’re taking,” Bauer said.
The Reds pitcher said with confidence that he believes there will be a season.
“100 percent. I’m very confident there will be baseball this season. The owners and players have a long history of finding common ground. What form it takes and how long it takes to come back is what’s being negotiated right now,” Bauer said.
Bauer also believes the season starting around the middle of July is probably the most likely scenario.
Major League Baseball’s proposed plan to return to action continues to be met with stiff resistance from players.
Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer, known as one of the league’s more outspoken figures, called the proposal “laughable” on Wednesday.
My reaction to the @Mlb return to play proposal. It’s laughable. @AgentRachelLuba makes some very good points here regarding the proposed revenue split and the problems with it. https://t.co/2CBH1FlRyK
— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) May 13, 2020
Bauer and his agent, Rachel Luba, made a video of over an hour in which they broke down the reported details of the league’s proposal. The primary objection, as is the case with most players, is the league’s economic proposal, which would give players a 50-50 split of league revenues in 2020. That would mean players giving up even more in salary than they had previously agreed.
The MLBPA is firmly opposed to this aspect of the proposal, and it does not look like it will fly as proposed. If the majority of players feel the same way Bauer does, this is going to be a big hurdle to clear before baseball can be played again.
Trevor Bauer was kind enough to make an early-morning appearance on ESPN2 as part of the network’s Korean baseball broadcast, and the Cincinnati Reds pitcher was rewarded with a flood of phone calls and text messages from people he has never met.
Bauer joined ESPN2’s KBO coverage via FaceTime, and his phone number was accidentally displayed across the top of the screen while he was chatting with Jon Sciambi and Jessica Mendoza. Bauer took to Twitter to call attention to the “massive screw up,” but the right-hander took it in stride. He even turned the gaffe into a giveaway by providing details of the contest in his voicemail recording.
So @espn has just leaked my number to truly the entire world lol in honor of this…shall we call it…massive screw up…I’m doing a giveaway! I’ll be giving away a pair of signed cleats and an autographed baseball over the next 48 hours. Rules are in my voicemail! Good luck! pic.twitter.com/luEqvwGtxW
— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) May 10, 2020
The details Bauer shared about the giveaway were not live for very long, as his voice mailbox quickly filled up.
Bauer is one of the most outspoken players in baseball, and we saw a good example of that recently with some shots he took at the Houston Astros. We can only imagine the types of voicemails fans left for him, but Kudos to the 29-year-old for trying to put a positive spin on ESPN’s huge mistake.
Joe Burrow received a warm welcome to Cincinnati from one of the city’s other top athletes.
Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer predicted “big things” for the city’s sports teams in the years to come as he welcomed Burrow in a tweet Thursday.
Hey @Joe_Burrow10 congrats and welcome to Cinci! Big things coming for Cincinnati sports in the next couple of years!
— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) April 24, 2020
Bauer is a free agent at the end of the 2020 season. This probably isn’t a hint that he’s planning to stick around in Cincinnati, but it’s interesting all the same.
As for Burrow, big things are expected of the Ohio native. He’ll probably appreciate this welcome from Bauer more than the greeting he got from one of his future rivals.
There is still hope of playing the 2020 MLB season. While players definitely want to get back to action, there are some who may feel they have more to prove than others. Those players had bad seasons in 2019 by their standards, and would love nothing more than to make things right in 2020.
Here are five players who are looking for bounceback seasons after underwhelming 2019 campaigns.
5. Eric Hosmer, 1B, Padres
The second year of Hosmer’s eight-year deal with the Padres wasn’t much better than the first, which is worrisome from San Diego’s perspective. The veteran first baseman hit .265 with 22 home runs, but his .310 OBP simply isn’t good enough, especially for someone making $21 million annually. Hosmer is only 30, and he is still sound defensively, but he doesn’t look like the guy who was once an All-Star for the Kansas City Royals. The Padres need that to change.
4. Edwin Diaz, RP, Mets
Prior to the 2019 season, the Mets gave up a huge sum to get Diaz and Robinson Cano — most notably top prospect Jarred Kelenic. Diaz was a bust. After posting a 1.96 ERA in his final season with the Mariners, Diaz’s ERA ballooned to 5.59 in New York, and he blew seven saves. Whatever the reason for Diaz’s issues — one ex-teammate thought the city was a bad fit for him — the Mets need him to be a lot better to justify the hefty price they paid for him.
3. Miguel Cabrera, DH/1B, Tigers
Cabrera mostly stayed healthy last season, which is an improvement from a lost 2018 season. However, his tally of 12 home runs is unfathomably low for a player who was once one of the most feared sluggers in the game. It may be that age and injury have sapped Cabrera of his power, as his numbers have cratered since the 2016 season. The Tigers have him on the books through 2023, and while he may never be an MVP again, they’d desperately like to get some production out of him.
2. Joey Votto, 1B, Reds
Votto is one of the most intelligent and cerebral hitters in the league, so to see him post his worst season as an MLB player in 2019 is really alarming. Votto hit just .261, with only 15 home runs and 47 RBIs. Those are remarkably bad numbers from one of the most reliable hitters of his generation. Votto turned 36 last September, so this is another instance where age may be catching up to him. The Reds, who have been very aggressive in the offseason, are hoping that is not the case. They need Votto to be himself in order to contend. Based on some of his recent comments, we expect a turnaround.
1. Trevor Bauer, P, Reds
Bauer had a 2.21 ERA in 2018 and looked to be establishing himself as one of the game’s best pitchers. He wasn’t quite as good for the start of 2019, and then his numbers cratered after he was dealt to Cincinnati. Bauer won just twice in 10 starts for the Reds, posting a 6.39 ERA, though he said he was playing through injury. Bauer was acquired to lead the staff, and he’s entering a contract year. For those reasons, he should be motivated to be at his best in 2020. The Reds, who will likely anchor their rotation around him, desperately need that to be the case.
Uncertainly still surrounds the 2020 MLB season, but the business of baseball will inevitably march on no matter what. Numerous top players will be entering the final season of their contracts in 2020, and most of them should get significant contracts once the season ends as long as they perform to their capabilities.
Here are the top five free agents set to hit the market after the 2020 season.
5. Marcus Stroman, P, Mets
Stroman’s youth will work heavily in his favor as he heads to free agency. The pitcher will be 29 when he hits free agency, and he could get a lot of money if he has a strong year with the Mets. Stroman’s 3.76 career ERA is good, but could get even better in the NL at a favorable pitcher’s park. If that happens, Stroman will be in very high demand as a quality pitcher who is still fairly young and should have a lot of mileage left on his arm.
4. Marcus Semien, SS, Athletics
The 30-year-old shortstop cut his errors almost in half from 2018 to 2019 and became an even better hitter, resulting in a top three MVP finish last season. If Semien can repeat anything close to that, he’s in line for a lot of money at age 30. Semien hit 30 home runs last year with a .285 average. A dropoff would hurt him, but his improvement across the board is encouraging. Teams will be watching him closely in 2020.
3. Trevor Bauer, P, Reds
Bauer’s stock fell in 2019, as he posted an ERA over six after being traded to the Cincinnati Reds, but did so pitching while hurt. It’s worth remembering, however, that he had a 2.21 ERA with Cleveland the year before. The real Bauer might be between those two extremes, but at age 30, teams will be very intrigued by him with the stuff he’s flashed in the past. A good 2020 could lead to a huge contract for him if he wants it, though he’s indicated in the past his preference for one-year deals. Also working in his favor is his durability; he’s pitched at least 175 innings in each of the last five seasons.
2. J.T. Realmuto, C, Phillies
Arguably baseball’s best all-around catcher, Realmuto is going to be in huge demand if he hits the open market. He won’t turn 30 until next March, is fresh off a Gold Glove campaign, and posted an OPS over .800 for the second consecutive season. It’s rare to have a catcher that well-rounded, as it’s a position where defense is usually prioritized. Realmuto can do it all, and that could mean a $100 million deal is in his future.
1. Mookie Betts, OF, Dodgers
Betts’ 2019 was a down year compared to his 2018 MVP campaign, and he still hit .295 with 29 home runs. The new Dodger outfielder is a star on both offense and defense and is one of the game’s most dynamic players. He’s reportedly asked for a contract in the same neighborhood as the biggest in the game, and he just might get it. He’ll be a 28-year-old former MVP on the open market who is one of the game’s best five-tool players. If he hits the market, he’ll be the best free agent available, without question.
Major League Baseball won’t be playing for quite a while after the start of its season was postponed, but one player is trying to set something up in the meantime.
Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer is inviting all MLB and minor league players to a mic’d up sandlot game in Arizona.
To any @MLB or @MiLB players in AZ who want in on this sandlot game, please respond to this tweet and @Watch_Momentum will organize with you. All pitchers and hitters will be micd up. Mandatory. Open to any other rule suggestions. Let me know!
— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) March 13, 2020
It’s a little fun, at least, and maybe a way to stay in shape. It may not ever come to pass, but Bauer is an ambitious guy who may see this one through. Some sports fans will take any entertainment they can get at this point, too, which works in his favor.