As of February, Makur Maker was deemed likely to enter this year’s NBA Draft. The pandemic has changed matters, and now Maker is considering college. And the 5-star center says UCLA is in the lead for him.
Maker called UCLA a “great fit” for him, in comments shared by the Los Angeles Times’ Ben Bolch.
Five-star center Makur Maker: "UCLA's leading right now in my opinion. UCLA would be a great fit for me. It's in my backyard, it's right near my house, only about an hour's drive. And UCLA has produced a lot of pros–Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, everybody's been through there."
Maker was born in Kenya, grew up in Australia, and then moved to the U.S. and was home-schooled in California during high school. The 19-year-old, 6-foot-11 center declared for the 2020 draft and was granted eligibility by the NBA but still has time to withdraw his name from consideration.
His guardian, Ed Smith, says that NBA teams do not feel they have been able to evaluate Maker well enough, which is why going to college might be favorable for him.
Ed Smith, on Makur Maker's decision whether to go to college: "There’s a belief that right now [NBA teams] don’t have enough on him and he needs to go out and display it and he wanted to get that matchup, especially with [Evan] Mobley at USC, that’s something that’s attractive."
The NBA Draft has become more crowded than ever, but one player is removing his name from consideration.
UCLA’s Jalen Hill is withdrawing his name from the NBA Draft and plans to return to UCLA.
Hill, a redshirt sophomore big man, had his name on the list of underclassmen who declared for the draft, joining fellow Bruin Chris Smith. Hill and other underclassmen have until June 3 to withdraw their names.
Hill averaged 9.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game in 30 contests with UCLA this season. The NBA reportedly is considering pushing back the date of the draft to later in the year rather than the originally scheduled June 25 date, which could have factored into Hill’s decision.
UCLA finished the season 19-12 and tied for the Pac-12 title with a 12-6 conference record in Mick Cronin’s first season as the team’s head coach.
Bruins fans, show everyone who runs LA with this great T-shirt. It makes a perfect gift for you or a friend. You can buy it here.
Another top basketball prospect has decided to forgo college in favor of the NBA G League’s professional pathway program, as Daishen Nix has decommitted from UCLA.
Nix, a five-star prospect who is considered by many to be the top point guard in the country, has agreed to a deal with the NBA G League. Shams Charania of The Athletic reports that Nix is expected to earn around $300,000 for one season.
Five-star prospect Daishen Nix has decommitted from UCLA and plans to sign in the NBA G League, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA@Stadium.
The NBA G League has ramped up its efforts to become a preferred destination for high school players who want to forego college. The goal is to keep some of the nation’s top players from pursuing a year playing overseas, which is what LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton did with the National Basketball League in Australia. The G League professional pathway program recently expanded and is offering more money to players, which has allowed it to land Nix and some other top prospects.
Nix has the potential to be a lottery pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, so losing him will sting for Mick Cronin and UCLA.
Johnny Juzang announced last month that he is transferring from Kentucky after a disappointing freshman season, and the former five-star recruit has officially committed to UCLA.
Juzang is from Los Angeles and played high school ball there, and he said in a statement on Thursday that the coronavirus pandemic helped him realize how important it is to remain close to home. He also said he grew up rooting for UCLA and is excited to have an opportunity to play for Mick Cronin.
“It’s a crazy time in the world right now, and with this current pandemic, I think being close to home, and close to family and friends is so important,” Juzang said. “I’m also very happy to be home with family and friends for support and well-being reasons. I’m sending prayers to everyone affected by this situation.”
Mick Cronin’s first season is Westwood is not going according to plan.
After Wednesday’s 74-59 loss to the rival Stanford Cardinals dropped them below .500 on the season, the UCLA head coach tore into his players.
“When the going gets tough, we don’t have a lot of guys who get going,” said Cronin, per Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times. “When the going gets tough, we have some guys who will fold. We lack toughness.
“As the game goes on, our softness shows up,” Cronin continued. “Our selfishness at times is evident and it’s been probably to people who have watched us all year on the offensive end, some of the shots we take and the turnovers because certain guys don’t want to pass the basketball.”
The loss to Stanford marked the Bruins’ third straight defeat and fifth in their last six games, sinking them to an unsightly 8-9 on the year. With a bunch of low-ceiling underclassmen who are being thrust into headlining roles and no go-to scorer to rely on, the team seems to be in over their heads most nights.
UCLA probably won’t be making the NCAA Tournament for one reason or another, and Cronin thinks you can give them an “F” for effort right now too.
The UCLA men’s basketball program is desperate to get back on track under new head coach Mick Cronin, but that will be awfully difficult to do if the team is banned from the NCAA Tournament in future seasons.
According to Jon Wilner of the Bay Area News Group, the latest Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores that were released by the NCAA last week show that UCLA is dangerously close to being below the 930-point threshold, which would trigger a postseason ban. UCLA’s latest score was the worst in the Pac-12 at 933. If the multi-year score that is released next spring dips below 930, the Bruins would be ruled ineligible for the NCAA Tournament in 2021.
“Unless the postseason ban is waived or avoided through the use of a filter, teams that don’t achieve the 930 will not participate in the postseason from the first time their multi-year APR falls below that benchmark,” NCAA spokesperson Michelle Brutlag Hosick told Wilner in an email.
The score the NCAA uses to determine postseason eligibility is a four-year average, and UCLA had scores of 942, 907, 977 and 905 in its last four seasons under former coach Steve Alford. That means the 942 will be removed from the calculation in the spring, so the Bruins need a score above 928 to avoid dipping below 930 for their average.
APR is calculated by measuring whether athletes remain in school and in good academic standing. Undergraduate transfers and players leaving early for the NFL or NBA draft lower the score.
UCLA already botched its coaching search and seemingly settled for Cronin, but he’s an experienced coach who enjoyed success at Cincinnati. If the Bruins can’t get their APR score up, it won’t matter how good of a coach Cronin is.
UCLA tried hard to bring in as big of a coaching name as possible to replace Steve Alford, even doing what they could to dangle mega money in front of top candidates. In fact, one report says they offered to double the salary for Jay Wright to get him to leave Villanova, but that didn’t help.
The Los Angeles Times’ Ben Bolch on Monday published a comprehensive look at UCLA’s search for a new head basketball coach. According to the article, the Bruins went after some of the most successful coaches in recent college basketball history, like John Calipari, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, Tom Izzo, Mark Few and Tony Bennett. Wright, who has won two championships in the last four years, was among their targets.
UCLA senior associate athletic director Josh Rebholz ran most of the hiring process and kept big donors updated on the progress. In one update, he told them through text message that they had made a big offer to Wright that mattered little.
“We would have loved for Jay Wright to walk out on the floor, but even when we offered to double his salary, he still wasn’t coming. Nothing we can do about that. But I am proud of our effort. We didn’t assume anything, took our shots and I believe will end up with a solid coach who will embrace UCLA and build a program we all can be proud of and root for.”
According to USA Today, Wright makes around $3.9 million a year. Doubling his salary would have put him just under John Calipari, who struck it rich by dangling UCLA’s offer in front of Kentucky.
The article details just how close the Bruins were to hiring Rick Barnes and also what the issues were with Jamie Dixon. UCLA ended up with Mick Cronin, who left Cincinnati and signed a six-year, $24.5-million contract with the Bruins.
UCLA was pursuing Rick Barnes for its head coaching vacancy prior to the 64-year-old finalizing a new contract with Tennessee on Monday, and it does not sound like the Bruins went about things in the classiest fashion.
The mutual interest between Tennessee coach Rick Barnes and the UCLA Bruins appears real, but departing Knoxville is proving to be a bit difficult for him.
According to Chris Low of ESPN, Barnes is “wrestling” with the decision to stay at Tennessee or move to UCLA, and is expected to make a decision within the next day or so. The 64-year-old is very happy in Tennessee, but the chance to finish his career at UCLA with the chance to restore the program to prominence is very tempting to him.
UCLA would reportedly be willing to offer Barnes up to $5 million per year to move west. He has had some preliminary discussions about an improved deal at Tennessee as well.
Reporting about how sold Barnes was on UCLA is clearly overstated, as it sounds like the school is hoping he will take the job. He’ll have to decide if his comfort in eastern Tennessee outweighs the chance to rebuild the storied UCLA program.