Skip to main content
#pounditTuesday, November 30, 2021

Blog

Betting odds indicate where Spencer Rattler is likely to transfer

Spencer Rattler announced on Monday that he is leaving Oklahoma, and oddsmakers seem to think they know where the quarterback will end up.

Rattler is sure to draw plenty of interest after entering the transfer portal, but he may already have a school in mind. The redshirt sophomore is from Arizona and played high school ball there. That is the main reason Bovada currently lists Arizona State as an overwhelming -215 favorite to land Rattler.

UCLA has the second-best odds, but the Bruins are listed at +700. That means those particular oddsmakers would be shocked if Rattler transfers anywhere but Arizona State.

Rattler, a former five-star recruit, was likely going to enter the transfer portal even if Lincoln Riley didn’t leave for USC. Things did not go as planned for him at Oklahoma. Many expected him to follow in the footsteps of the other great quarterbacks that played under Riley, but Rattler took a big step back this season. He lost his starting job earlier in the year.

Oklahoma is likely going to lose several players and recruits in the wake of Riley’s departure. We know at least one other key player who hinted that he might leave the Sooners.

Arizona State is 8-4 this year in their fourth season under Herm Edwards. There was recent speculation that Edwards might be fired, but he will return in 2022.

Photo: Oklahoma’s Spencer Rattler (7) warms up before a college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Okla., Saturday, Sept. 18, 2021

Mike Tomlin has harsh response to Chase Claypool’s ‘fun’ suggestion

The Pittsburgh Steelers were completely embarrassed by the division rival Cincinnati Bengals last Sunday, and Mike Tomlin knows the team needs to make changes going forward. The music situation at practice is not going to be one of them.

After Pittsburgh’s 41-10 loss to the Bengals, wide receiver Chase Claypool told reporters that he feels the Steelers need to make practices “more fun.” In order to achieve that, he said they could try playing music during practice like they do in warmups before games.

Tomlin didn’t seem to appreciate the feedback. The coach was asked about it on Tuesday, and he essentially told Claypool to stay in his lane.

That was friendly compared to what veteran defensive lineman Cam Heyward said about Claypool’s comments. During a radio appearance on Tuesday morning, Heyward said he hopes his teammate was joking about playing music.

Claypool is only in his second NFL season, but he certainly is not afraid to speak his mind. The former Notre Dame star made himself look bad after the Steelers’ playoff loss last year, and his music suggestion isn’t the best look, either. He should probably learn to say less, especially when his team is struggling.

Report sheds light on Urban Meyer’s future with Jaguars

Urban Meyer has once again found himself at the center of the college coaching rumor mill, but apparently the Jacksonville Jaguars do not need to be concerned.

Meyer has no interest in taking another college coaching job, ESPN’s Michael DiRocco reports. The 57-year-old remains committed to the Jaguars and trying to build them into a contender.

Meyer is linked to most major college coaching jobs no matter what his situation is at the time they become vacant. That happened once again this week when Brian Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU, and you can understand why.

There is plenty of reason to believe Meyer would have interest in coaching the Fighting Irish. He described Notre Dame as his “dream job” over a decade ago. As recently as 2017, Meyer’s wife Shelly said coaching at Notre Dame would be one of her husband’s dream jobs.

Taking the Notre Dame job would be the perfect way for Meyer to leave the NFL, as he could point to the fact that he has openly admitted he would love to coach there. However, the stench from Meyer’s unflattering scandal in Jacksonville has already worn off. He may genuinely want to see things through, even if his “dream” college job is now available.

NFL insider makes bold claim about Russell Wilson’s future

Russell Wilson stopped just barely short of asking the Seattle Seahawks for a trade last offseason. Wilson was unhappy with the state of the team at the time, but the Seahawks made some offseason acquisitions and seemed to smooth things over with their franchise quarterback. Given how things have gone this year, it is fair to wonder if the trade talk will come up again this winter.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano said on “Get Up!” Tuesday morning that he believes the 2021 season could be Wilson’s last in Seattle. He cited the team’s 3-8 record and the fact that Wilson has never been on a team this bad.

“His agent gave a list of team’s that he would accept a trade to. Some of those teams still need a quarterback,” Graziano said. “They’re 3-8. This is not something that has happened in Russell Wilson’s career, this kind of losing. He was already dissatisfied on some level. They managed to put it behind them, but it’s going to come up again.”

Wilson’s agent said back in February that the quarterback had not demanded a trade. However, he provided a list of four teams that Wilson would be open to playing for. Of those teams, Graziano and his colleagues feel the New Orleans Saints would be the one to watch.

Wilson has been Seattle’s starting quarterback since 2012. The team has never finished worse than 9-7 since drafting him.

There may have been drama between Wilson and the Seahawks several months ago, but all indications were that it was resolved. That doesn’t mean the 32-year-old is thrilled with his situation, and a losing season could bring back some of those frustrations.

Photo: Oct 4, 2020; Miami Gardens, Florida, USA; Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) looks on after defeating the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Javier Baez signs 6-year deal with Tigers

The Detroit Tigers have made a major upgrade to their lineup.

Javier Baez has agreed to a 6-year, $140 million deal with the Tigers, according to multiple reports. The shortstop has the ability to opt out after two years and also got a limited no-trade clause.

Baez was considered one of the best players on the free agent market. He’s coming off a 31-homer season and batted .299 in 47 games with the New York Mets after coming over from the Chicago Cubs last season. The Mets were said to be interested in re-signing him. Detroit also may have kept Baez away from one other top American League team.

The Baez deal takes one suitor off the table for Carlos Correa, who is said to be seeking upwards of $300 million. The former Houston Astros star may have a difficult time getting that much, though he could argue that the market was set when Corey Seager signed his monster deal with the Texas Rangers.

Photo: Aug 2, 2021; Miami, Florida, USA; New York Mets shortstop Javier Baez (23) throws out Miami Marlins left fielder Jorge Alfaro (not pictured) in the 2nd inning at loanDepot park. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Tiger Woods has shocking revelation about his car crash

Tiger Woods suffered serious injuries when he was involved in a single-car accident earlier this year, and the 15-time major champion confirmed on Tuesday that he is fortunate he did not lose a limb.

Tiger spoke with the media for the first time since the crash ahead of the Hero World Challenge, which is a tournament he hosts. He was asked by a reporter how close he was to losing a leg, and he said amputation was “on the table” at one point.

Woods suffered severe fractures to his lower-left leg. There were questions about whether he would ever walk again, let alone play golf. Tiger said he feels fortunate to be alive and still have both of his legs.

Tiger shed some light on his comeback plans during an in-depth interview this week. What he said makes even more sense now that we know he nearly lost a leg.

Jim Harbaugh has awesome gesture with his Michigan bonuses

Jim Harbaugh’s approval rating at Michigan is through the roof coming off the team’s huge win over Ohio State, and fans will likely appreciate the coach even more when they hear about the classy decision he has made with his contract.

Harbaugh signed a four-year contract extension with Michigan back in January that includes far less guaranteed money than the top coaches in college football. His guaranteed money for 2021 is $4 million, but he has the ability to earn roughly $4 million more in incentives. Even if he earns all of that money, however, Harbaugh is not planning to keep it.

Harbaugh announced this week that he will give any bonus money he earns back to Michigan’s athletic department. He wants to help alleviate some of the hardships that were caused last year amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

You could argue that $4 million is more than enough money, but Harbaugh is under no obligation to give anything back. He’s making less than half of what the highest-paid coaches in the country are earning this year despite Michigan being one of the best teams in the country and on the verge of a College Football Playoff berth.

Harbaugh went 11-8 from 2019-2020, which is one of the reasons he took a pay cut. He has proven this season that he probably deserves to be paid more, but he’s giving money back. Between that gesture and the awesome quote he delivered after beating Ohio State, Harbaugh has never been more popular among Wolverines fans.

Photo: Nov 16, 2019; Ann Arbor, MI, USA; Michigan Wolverines head coach Jim Harbaugh reacts during the second half against the Michigan State Spartans at Michigan Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

LSU shares details of Brian Kelly’s contract

LSU officially announced on Tuesday morning that Brian Kelly has been named the head coach of the Tigers. The school also confirmed that Kelly will have the opportunity to become the highest-paid coach in college football.

Kelly has signed a 10-year, $95 million deal with LSU. The school’s announcement said the contract also includes incentives.

Nick Saban’s salary for 2021 is around $9.7 million, which means Kelly will come in right below the Alabama coach. He could surpass Saban if he hits the incentives, whatever they may be.

Many people wondered why Kelly would leave a Notre Dame program that has won double-digit games in five consecutive seasons and could be headed for a third College Football Playoff appearance. Money is likely the reason, and Kelly alluded to that with a recent quote that went viral.

Photo: Sep 28, 2019; South Bend, IN, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish head coach Brian Kelly waves to fans as he enters Notre Dame Stadium before the game against the Virginia Cavaliers. Mandatory Credit: Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports

Brian Kelly changes Twitter bio before LSU announcement

LSU has yet to announce that Brian Kelly will be the school’s next head football coach, but Kelly went ahead and made the move Twitter official.

Kelly (or whoever runs the coach’s social media pages) has already made major changes to his Twitter bio. The profile features several references to LSU and photoshopped images of Kelly in Tigers gear.

LSU is expected to introduce Kelly as head coach on Tuesday, so he probably figured there was no reason to wait.

Kelly has faced some criticism for the way he handled leaving Notre Dame. The news leaked through the media before he had a chance to inform his players. Kelly then sent out a text message to players apologizing for the way things went down.

There were also questions about whether Kelly took the appropriate steps with his staff.

Hard feelings are expected when a coach leaves one top program for another. It seems like there will be plenty of them with Kelly.

Seahawks lose critical onside kick due to illegal formation penalty

The Seattle Seahawks nearly pulled off an improbable comeback against Washington on Monday night, but one pesky penalty at the end interfered.

Russell Wilson threw a touchdown pass to Freddie Swain with 15 seconds left in the game to make it 17-15 Washington. Seattle attempted a 2-point conversion to tie the game but Wilson’s pass attempt went incomplete.

Seattle’s next chance was trying an onside kick and hoping to recover and then kick a winning field goal. They actually recovered the onside kick attempt, but it was undone by an illegal formation penalty.

Here is video of the kick:

And this shows the illegal formation, which involved a player lining up inside the hashmarks instead of outside it.

The hashmark rule is in place to try and spread players out on onside kick attempts for player safety purposes. That player’s position had no bearing on the kick recovery, but the penalty was called nonetheless.

It’s a shame for Seattle to lose that way, but you can’t say they haven’t benefited from bogus calls in the past.