Showtime is suing Manny Pacquiao’s promoter, Top Rank Inc., in an attempt to get the promoter to help cover some legal expenses they have incurred.
You may recall that after Pacquiao lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. last May, the Filipino immediately complained that he was fighting with a shoulder injury. Pacquiao’s injury was cited as a big reason why the fight was such a bust, and it led to some pay-per-view buyers to file lawsuits complaining about the fight.
Showtime would like some money from Top Rank to help pay their legal costs arising from defending themselves in these suits.
The Hollywood Reporter says Showtime filed a lawsuit in New York federal court Wednesday saying that Top Rank breached their indemnification agreement. Showtime accuses Top Rank of refusing to defend and indemnify them in the face of lawsuits from fans complaining about the fight.
They say their legal expenses eclipse $680,000.
THR also reports that Top Rank threatened Showtime last October over fight promotional materials.
The lawsuit and problems between the two sides should not come as a surprise. Promoter Bob Arum’s Top Rank has dealt almost exclusively with HBO for quite some time, while rival Golden Boy Promotions and Floyd Mayweather have worked with Showtime. The networks collaborated to make the blockbuster fight happen, but we’re seeing it’s not without some fallout and frostiness.
The pay-per-view numbers for the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight that you probably forgot even happened have been disappointing, unsurprisingly.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday that the numbers were “terrible.” According to ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Arum estimated the number of buys to be between 400,000-500,000, though some are not even confident it will reach 400,000.
Arum says the fight lost money as Pacquiao was paid $20 million and Bradley $4 million for the bout. The promoter also said he thought two factors hurt the fan interest.
“Certainly the pushback from Manny’s gay remarks killed us,” Arum said. “It hurt us a lot. But I think it was also less a reaction to the match than a reaction to the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. It was a reaction like Mayweather got. Mayweather also got punished [by consumers].”
The comments Arum referenced are these ones from Pacquiao, which the Filipino continued to defend.
Fans shelled out a lot of money for the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight last year. That fight was a disappointment and many did not feel they got a good value for their $100. Fans had very little interested in paying a ton of money to watch Pacquiao fight Bradley for a third time. This was just a fight with little intrigue, something Arum fails to see.
It will be interesting to see whether Pacquiao retires as he has said, or whether he will continue to fight despite his blossoming political career.
Famed boxing promoter Bob Arum blasted Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during a radio appearance Wednesday, saying the rest of the world is laughing at the US over what is transpiring.
Arum has held events at Trump-owned venues in the past and also frequently conducts business worldwide, giving him an intimate perspective on the rest of the world’s perception of the US.
“Donald Trump being where he is now in the political spectrum and being a possibility to win the Republican nomination, is in my mind, the biggest knock on the American people,” Arum told FOX Sports Radio’s JT The Brick Wednesday. “I do business around the world and everybody is laughing at us. This man is a clown. There is no conceivable way that anybody should consider him in an office as important as President of the United States.
“George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Teddy Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan would be turning in their graves if they saw what was happening now. The man speaks horribly of other people. He doesn’t represent people that I imagine as being great Americans who have a view of America that has made us great. He’s talking nonsense and he’s talking hate, and if the people ever elected him President of the United States, it would be a terribly sad day for America.”
Trump has won three of the four states in primaries so far, including Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada, and he has 81 projected delegates. He is currently the frontrunner to receive the Republican party’s presidential nomination. Of course, Arum’s comments would be met with agreement from boxing fans, who have already voiced their displeasure with Trump.
- Filed Under:
- Everything Else
Bob Arum seems like he is still planning on Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather having a rematch in the future.
Arum, who is Pacquiao’s promoter, spoke to the media on Tuesday at an event promoting Pacquiao’s upcoming fight with Timothy Bradley in April. The bout will be the third between Pacquiao and Bradley, and it’s been said that it will be Pac-Man’s final fight because the Filipino is running for a senate seat in the Philippines.
However, Arum says he is not marketing it as Pacquiao’s final fight.
Arum says Pacquiao has told him he will retire after this fight, but the promoter says he won't market the fight as such.
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) January 19, 2016
That would lead most people to think Arum believes Pacquiao will fight again. And it seems like Arum is already targeting a rematch with Mayweather.
Arum says if Pacquiao beats Bradley convincingly he feels strongly things will reignite for a @FloydMayweather rematch.
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) January 19, 2016
There would be quite a few things standing in the way of a potential rematch between Pacquiao and Mayweather. First off, Pacquiao would have to beat Bradley well to convince the public he is ready for another shot at Mayweather. Secondly, Pacquiao would have to be willing to fight another time despite the retirement talk. Thirdly, Mayweather would have to come out of retirement. Lastly, Mayweather would have to do a 180 from his stance last year that he would not be giving Pacquiao a rematch.
If there’s one thing to take away here it’s that Pacquiao’s side still seems to be pretty hungry for a rematch with Mayweather. Pac-Man said in August that he felt he won the fight, even though few saw it that way. And in October, Pacquiao said he actually talked with Mayweather about a rematch.
Who knows, maybe another fight between them could be in the cards. The question is: would fans still care?
Manny Pacquiao has agreed to terms for a May 2 fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr., according to Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum.
On Tuesday, Arum told Yahoo Sports that Mayweather’s representatives have agreed to the deal and the only holdup is getting approval from Floyd himself. Pacquiao has reportedly agreed to a 60/40 split in favor of Mayweather where Floyd could make $120 million. One of the holdups in the past has been a disagreement over pay-per-view money.
“I want to get some movement here, with bringing Mayweather to the table so we can go out and get everything signed and get the networks together and get the thing finished,” Arum said.
Mayweather is under contract with Showtime and Pacquaio is with HBO. The networks have reportedly held discussions about producing a joint pay-per-view, which they did when Mike Tyson fought Lennox Lewis in 2002.
While it certainly seems like a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is closer than ever to happening, we have seen negotiations fall apart in the past. Arum could be putting public pressure on Mayweather to either agree or look like he’s afraid to fight Pacquiao, though the longtime promoter insists that is not his angle.
“I’m not trying to force anybody’s hand, I’m just saying, ‘Hey, we’ve agreed to everything, period,'” he told Yahoo Sports. “The people we have talked to on Mayweather’s side have agreed to everything. Now we need Mayweather to step up and say, ‘Yeah, I’m on board. I agree.'”
For what it’s worth, Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza claims Mayweather is on board.
Spoke to @StephenEspinoza recently. Said as far as Mayweather was concerned, he wants Pacquiao. No Plan B. Conversations are ongoing.
— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) January 14, 2015
We have seen all the childish jabs thrown back and forth on social media between Mayweather and Pacquiao, and they are getting old. Pacquiao has even said that fans should not expect Floyd to come out punching if the two ever do meet in the ring.
Between Arum’s public pressure and the comment Pacquiao made to Mayweather last month, it’s safe to say the Filipino’s camp has done an effective job of placing the decision in Mayweather’s hands. If the fight falls through (yet again), it will look like Mayweather was unwilling.
There is still little reason to believe that Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao will ever meet in the ring, but if they were to fight it would be in a massive venue. Like, for example, the home of the Dallas Cowboys.
Longtime boxing promoter Bob Arum told GMA News on Tuesday that CBS president and CEO Leslie Moonves is working on a deal to make the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight a reality. And if a deal is ever brokered, AT&T Stadium is a potential venue for the fight.
“I am now more optimistic that the fight is going to happen than I was three or four years ago,” Arum said. “I am talking to responsible people who are in touch with the Mayweather guys. All of these people have the ability to move it ahead and make it happen.
“If it happens, we’re considering the Cowboys Stadium. It is the only venue which has the capacity to host a big show such as the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.”
Mayweather recently expressed a willingness to fight Pacquiao, but there are plenty of reasons to believe the bout will never take place. Floyd is incredibly protective of his undefeated record, and he doesn’t really need to fight Pacquiao and long as he doesn’t mind being accused of ducking Manny.
Pacquiao, on the other hand, has had some financial issues and would love the massive payday that would come along with fighting Mayweather.
Arum has been one of the biggest obstacles standing in the way of a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. If he is actually willing to help broker the deal, there’s at least a slightly better chance the fight could happen.
The boxing promoter is 82 years old and always seems to be complaining about something. His latest issue leading up to the Saturday fight between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley concerned the signage and posters around the MGM Grand hotel.
The Pacquiao-Bradley fight is being held at the MGM, which is the same hotel where Floyd Mayweather Jr. always fights. Instead of having signs up promoting this big fight, there were a ton of signs up around the hotel promoting Mayweather’s May 3 fight with Marcos Maidana.
— Ryan Songalia (@ryansongalia) April 9, 2014
— Kevin Iole (@KevinI) April 10, 2014
Posters of Pacquiao-Bradley and Mayweather-Maidana fights both hang at MGM Grand. Bob Arum cries foul. pic.twitter.com/51Kup0IO6X
— Queenie Dimapawi (@inangreina) April 12, 2014
— LaceupBoxing (@LaceUpBoxing) April 10, 2014
The MGM listened to the complaints and said they would address things. There was a lot more Pacquiao-Bradley signage after he whined: