Quantcast

Matt Mitrione suspended by UFC for calling transgender fighter Fallon Fox a ‘freak’

Fallon FoxTransgender MMA fighter Fallon Fox has been a controversial topic of discussion over the last month. The 36-year-old Fox made her MMA debut last may and has beaten two female fighters. After her fight last month, it was revealed that Fox underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006 and has been receiving hormonal therapy for 10 years.

Her unique situation has resulted in a number of fighters and people involved with MMA feeling that Fox has an unfair advantage and should not be able to fight against women. Matt Mitrione was suspended indefinitely by the UFC on Monday for taking it a step too far and calling Fox “a disgusting freak.”

“I watched one of the fight videos and holy (expletive), I haven’t seen a man beat a woman (like that) since Chris Brown beat Rihanna,” Mitrione told Fuel TV’s Ariel Helwani in an interview with SB Nation on Monday, via FOXSports.com. “That’s exceptional how he beats innocent, unknowing women like that.

“She’s not a he. He’s a he,” Mitrione continued. “He’s chromosomally a man. He had a gender change, not a sex change. He’s still a man. He was a man for 31 years. Thirty-one years. That’s a couple years younger than I am. He’s a man. Six years of taking performance de-hancing drugs, you think is going to change all that? That’s ridiculous. That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak.”

The UFC released a statement regarding Mitrione’s suspension.

“The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on the ‘MMA Hour,’” the statement read. “The organization finds Mr. Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and — as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct — Mr. Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated.”

While Mitrione’s comments certainly should not be tolerated, it should be noted that the UFC’s pattern of discipline regarding Fox has already been incredibly inconsistent. Joe Rogan was not suspended last month after he said Fox is “a man without a d—” and called it “f—–g crazy” to allow her to fight against women. Even Dana White made some insensitive comments a few weeks ago when he referred to Fox as “he” and “him”

If the UFC is going to discipline fighters for making idiotic remarks about Fox, its front office workers and television personalities should be held to the same standard. You can’t expect a fighter to censor himself when White and Rogan don’t feel the need to do so.

Image via FallonFox.com

Fraud Kimbo Slice Cut from UFC by Dana White After Loss to Matt Mitrione

Have you ever seen a team perform so poorly that you said they should be demoted from a league or contracted as a franchise? The Pittsburgh Pirates definitely come to mind, as have the Detroit Lions. Unfortunately in most professional sports leagues nothing that drastic can happen (unless it’s the British Premier League). But in UFC, President Dana White rules with an iron fist and calls all the shots. He rolls with so much power that he can just decide if he wants to cut a guy and kick him out of the league on a whim. That’s exactly what happened on Saturday night after UFC 113 in Montreal, only White had good reason to cut two fighters.

White, who once said that Kimbo Slice might lose to 44-year-old Ken Shamrock because Kimbo sucks, cut Slice after his poor performance against Matt Mitrione. Kimbo had some good takedowns but he seemed to tire quickly and he was thoroughly dominated in the second round. Mitrione crushed Kimbo with an arsenal of kicks that had Kimbo limping. Once the fighters got on the ground, Mitrione proceeded to play volleyball with Kimbo’s head until the fight was called a TKO. Even though White appreciates the ratings and drawing power of Kimbo, I’m sure he’s officially decided that Kimbo isn’t UFC material.

I’m surprised that White didn’t know better after Kimbo’s 14-second loss to Shamrock replacement, Seth Petruzelli. I’m guessing White did know better but he was probably convinced that the strong ratings was worth giving Kimbo a shot. The other fighter Dana White cut after UFC 113 was Paul Daley. Daley sucker-punched Josh Koscheck after their fight ended and White says “there’s no excuse for that.” White is definitely extreme in his measures but nobody will complain about cutting Daley. Some fans are already questioning the decision to cut Kimbo because of the ratings he draws. I say they should be proud that White is more concerned with his product.

Sources:
UFC 113 Post-Fight: Dana White Says Paul Daley and Kimbo Slice Are “Done” in the UFC [Bloody Elbow]
Photo Credit: Getty Images