The Wilpon family, owners of 100% of the New York Mets, have recently stated that they will entertain offers to sell up to 25% of the team. The family had previously said they never wanted to give up any portion of the team, but a recent lawsuit related to the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme has forced them to rethink that stance. The lawsuit reportedly seeks to recover between $300 million and $1 billion from the Wilpons, money that would be used to compensate the other Madoff victims.
The Wilpons, largely-known for their real estate success, have consistently said that the Madoff scandal would not affect the Mets financially. This lawsuit essentially aims to prove that the family actually profited from the scheme. If that is the case, then the sale of 25% of the team — recently valued by Forbes at upwards of $800 million — likely wouldn’t even be enough to cover the low end of the lawsuit estimates.
- Filed Under:
- New York Mets
Michael Vick reached a two-year endorsement deal on Wednesday with Unequal Technologies, maker of shock-absorbing equipment such as vests and pads, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. Vick reportedly began using the equipment after sustaining a rib injury. Though Vick did a commercial for a Philadelphia car dealership in December, his only compensation was the use of a Nissan Armada. The financial terms of the deal have yet to be released, but Unequal CEO Rob Vito said it is “sizable.”
Sizable is a relative term, especially when you consider Vick was earning a reported $2 million per year from Nike before his arrest. I don’t know anything about Unequal’s finances, but I wouldn’t imagine it would be able to match a company like Nike. Vick reportedly has approximately $12 million in debt to be paid to creditors between now and 2015, so I’m sure any extra income is appreciated — which could likely be said for most of us regardless of our financial situation.
Analyst Dickey Simpkins covered Marquette’s 76-68 loss to UConn on Tuesday night alongside play-by-play man Justin Kutcher. Early in the second half the Golden Eagles’ leading scorer, Darius Johnson-Odom, got the ball on the break and finished with an emphatic slam. Simpkins busted out an Antoine Dodson “hide yo kids” reference. Here’s the call:
He’s obviously paying homage to Antoine Dodson’s ranting viral video. Simpkins doesn’t get it quite right, but I give him credit for working it in there. He’s definitely a guy I’d enjoy hearing some more of.
Thanks to DUONELONGREPORT1 for the video.
- Filed Under:
- College Basketball
- Dickey Simpkins
The World’s No. 1 tennis player, Rafael Nadal, saw his hopes of holding all four Grand Slam titles at once dashed when he lost in straight sets to fellow-Spaniard David Ferrer in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open on Tuesday.
Nadal seemed to have injured his left hamstring in the first set, having it wrapped before getting back out on the court. From that point on, he showed only brief glimmers of competing.
The loss comes exactly one year after Nadal was forced to pull out of the quarterfinals of last year’s Australian Open against Andy Murray. Since that match, he had won 25-straight Grand Slam matches, spanning the French Open, Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the first four matches of this event. He lost half as many sets to Ferrer (3) as he did during that entire win streak.
Nadal was attempting to become the first player since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four titles at once. Last year’s U.S. Open victory made him one of just seven players ever to win all four events in their career.
Injuries have become a major issue for Nadal. He’s had foot, knee, abdominal and now hamstring issues. This particular injury doesn’t appear to be something that will keep him down long, but anyone who has had a hamstring injury knows that they tend to linger and flare up once injured. At 23 years old, Nadal has already established himself as a great player. Hopefully, that’s what defines his career — not the seemingly endless string of injuries.
- Filed Under:
- Rafael Nadal
Leading up to his second professional MMA fight on Saturday, Herschel Walker expressed that he wants make a comeback to the NFL. The 48-year-old, who last played for the Cowboys in 1997, came back into the spotlight a year ago when he dominated his first MMA fight against Greg Nagy.
It sounds like the 1982 Heisman Trophy winner is just trying to bring some media attention to his upcoming fight against Scott Carson, but if anyone could do it Walker looks like the guy. His workouts are legendary. He says he has never lifted weights, but instead uses isometric exercises like push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups. He reportedly does thousands of reps of each exercise every day, and it shows in his physique. The picture to the right is of a 47-year-old Walker, and he looks to be in better shape than most men half his age.
Walker reportedly would like to play for either the Vikings or the Falcons, but both teams seem to be set at running back. One of his former teams — the Cowboys — might be able to use him, however. I’m not saying he could come back and light it up, but given the shape he’s in I wouldn’t be surprised if he could at least make a roster. I’d certainly tune in to watch a guy who’s nearly half-a-century old suit up. Sadly, this is probably just a publicity stunt by a guy trying desperately to keep his name in the news.
- Filed Under:
- Herschel Walker
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers are two of the oldest and most storied franchises in NFL history. After winning Sunday, the two will meet on Feb. 6 in Super Bowl XLV. Somewhat surprisingly, it will be the first time the teams have ever met in a championship game. The Steelers already hold the record for most Super Bowls with six, set two years ago. The Packers have three Super Bowls of their own, but 12 championships including those won before the Super Bowl began in 1967 — three more than the next closest team, the Bears.
These franchises are two of just seven ever to win back-to-back Super Bowls. The Packers did it once winning Super Bowls I and II, and the Steelers are the only franchise ever to do it twice — winning Super Bowls IX and X, and XIII and XIV. Only 10 quarterbacks have won multiple Super Bowls. Former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw is tied with Joe Montana for most Super Bowl wins by a quarterback. If Pittsburgh beats Green Bay this year, Ben Roethlisberger will get his third ring, tying him with Troy Aikman and Tom Brady for second on that list, and making the Steelers the only franchise with two different quarterbacks with at least three Super Bowl wins. Packers great Bart Starr is also on that list, quarterbacking the teams that won the first two Super Bowls.
- Filed Under:
In 2010, we saw The Dougie take over as the dance of choice for professional athletes. Braylon Edwards gave us a pretty good rendition, but John Wall’s had to be the most memorable of the year, while Drew Stanton and Reid Brignac were less-than-impressive in their attempts. We can now add U.S. Soccer players Teal Bunbury and Juan Agudelo to the list of athletes who would have been better off skipping The Dougie. After Bunbury scored on a penalty kick in the National Team’s friendly against Chile, he and Teal did one of the worst versions of the dance to date:
I guess trying has to count for something, but maybe next time they should just slide head first or river dance or whatever it is soccer players usually do to celebrate.
Thanks to flashboy2010 for the video.
- Filed Under:
Marshall Plumlee is the younger brother of Duke players Miles and Mason Plumlee, and has committed to the university himself. Back in December, Plumlee, a 7-footer, won the City of Palms Dunk Contest, but it looks like it had more to do with the talents of a teammate than his own:
None of the dunks Plumlee did without the help of teammate Andy McMillian seem impressive enough to win any dunk contest. We’ve seen all of these passes before, but never from a kid who appears to be about 15 years old, which could be attributed to the fact that he’s standing next to Plumlee. It seems to me like Plumlee should bring this kid along with him to Duke ala Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr. I stumbled upon this video and thought you Duke fans might like to see what you’ve got to look forward to and the rest of us can hate you even more for your good fortune.
The City of Palms Classic is one of the top high school basketball tournaments in the nation. Teams from all over the country, including Elizabeth St. Patrick (N.J.) led by Mike Gilchrist and Winter Park (Fla.) led by Austin Rivers, brought their talents to (not quite) South Beach for the five-day event last month.
Thanks to scoutsfocus for the video.