pixel 1
header
Friday, September 20, 2019

Wrestling

Brock Lesnar responds to being called out by Jon Jones

Jon Jones

Jon Jones reclaimed the UFC light heavyweight title Saturday night by knocking out Daniel Cormier in the third round, and he wasted no time trying to lay the groundwork for his next fight. Jones wants it to be a big one. How big? Brock Lesnar big.

Following his win over Cormier at UFC 214, Jones turned his attention toward Lesnar.

“Brock Lesnar, if you want to know what it feels like to get your ass kicked by a guy that weighs 40 pounds less than you, come meet me in the octagon,” Jones said, via Simon Samano of MMAFighting.com.

Lesnar, who was eligible to have his suspension lifted earlier this month, issued a warning to Jones in response.

“Be careful what you wish for, young man,” the WWE star told The Associated Press.

While speaking with reporters later, Jones said he is serious about wanting to fight Lesnar.

“We’re serious about it, and it would be great for the MMA world,” he said. “It would bring more of the general public to mixed martial arts, and that’s what we need. We need to expand our sport, so why not be the guy to take part in that?”

Since Lesnar retired from the UFC earlier in the year, he would still have to serve six more months of his suspension before being reinstated. There were some recent reports indicating he had put the wheels in motion to resume his MMA career, but the latest doesn’t sound promising.

Jones fought at 205 pounds against Cormier, which is the very top of the light heavyweight division. He’d have no problem getting past the 206-pound minimum to fight in the heavyweight division, though Lesnar would still have a serious size advantage.

While the fight would be one of the most anticipated in UFC history, there are probably too many obstacles to overcome. But if Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have taught us anything, it’s to never say never.

UFC denies that Brock Lesnar has re-entered drug testing pool

Brock Lesnar

Despite recent reports indicating otherwise, Brock Lesnar has not begun the process of making himself eligible for a UFC return.

Lesnar was suspended one year retroactive to July 15, 2016 after he failed multiple drug tests for his fight with Mark Hunt at UFC 200. The heavyweight told the UFC he was retiring back in February, but some rumors popped up earlier in the week about Lesnar re-entering the drug testing pool to prepare for a UFC comeback.

UFC vice president of athlete health and performance Jeff Novitzky, who oversees the drug testing program, said there is no truth to that.

“(Lesnar) is not currently enrolled in the USADA testing pool, nor has there been any inquiry on his part to do so,” Novitzky said, via John Morgan of MMAFighting.com.

Lesnar’s fight against Hunt last year came after a five-year absence from MMA competition. He defeated Hunt but had the decision overturned after he tested positive for PEDs twice.

Lesnar is currently the WWE’s Universal Champion, and there were some rumors claiming he is going to lose that belt at “SummerSlam” next month to position himself for a UFC return. Lesnar would need to make himself available for drug testing for six months before being eligible to return to the UFC, so another comeback seems unlikely if he has not re-entered the program.

We already know what one fellow heavyweight thinks of Lesnar’s chances to make a UFC return. The 40-year-old’s MMA career may finally be over.

Brock Lesnar rumored to make UFC return by end of year

Brock Lesnar elbow
Brock Lesnar is an absolute physical monster. At a lean 6’3″, 286, Lesnar has competed in professional wrestling, football, and MMA. Joe Rogan has posited that Lesnar, if he had started MMA earlier in life, could have been the best heavyweight in UFC history.

After being fined and suspended from the UFC for one year, Lesnar’s return may be imminent. Though he reportedly told the UFC he was retiring earlier this year, rumor has it he may return for another fight by the end of the year.

Lesnar reportedly met with Paul Heyman, his manager, and UFC higher-ups in Las Vegas during International Fight Week.

The speculation is that Lesnar would return for the UFC’s visit to Madison Square Garden in New York City on November 4. It’s a major venue, and Lesnar is a huge star; it would make sense.

Talk MMA stated multiple sources have said Lesnar is back in the USADA testing pool.

Wrestling Observer confirmed Lesnar is back in the testing pool but stated he could not fight until mid-December, per the timing of his suspension.

So, could this really happen? Ariel Helwani says a deal is “not remotely close.” So don’t get your hopes up yet.

Shane McMahon survived helicopter crash in Atlantic Ocean

Shane McMahon, the son of WWE founder Vince McMahon, was aboard a helicopter that made a crash landing off the coast of Long Island, New York, Wednesday morning. The helicopter landed in the Atlantic Ocean.

McMahon and the pilot, Mario Regtien, were the only men aboard the Robinson R-44 helicopter. Neither man was harmed.

The vehicle experienced engine failure, so Regtien conducted an emergency landing. Emergency responders quickly arrived on scene and pulled the men from the water.

McMahon and Regtien spoke to reporters about the incident.

“It’s very unsettling when all of a sudden you have something happen,” McMahon said, according to ABC NY 7. “You hear a bang, and then you start saying, ‘We’re going to do an emergency landing in the water.’ So yes, it was very unnerving. But…Mario was super calm, which made me super calm. And we landed perfectly.”

The WWE’s YouTube account uploaded footage of McMahon’s interview.

The helicopter was headed to Westhampton, N.Y., from New York City.

Though it was a serious incident, fans got a chuckle out of it, joking that McMahon is “invincible.”

A fan officially registered The Rock to run for president in 2020

The Rock

Could The Rock actually make a presidential run in 2020? He’s said before that he “wouldn’t rule it out” and has joked that Tom Hanks would be his running mate.

Fans genuinely want him to go for it — because, come on, he’s The Rock. After this past-election cycle, would it really surprise anyone?

Dwayne Johnson’s potential candidacy took a small step forward this weekend as one fan officially set up a draft of a campaign committee for Johnson with the Federal Election Commission.

The name of the party: Run The Rock 2020.

The fan was Kenton Tilford of West Virginia, who spoke with the Daily Mail.

“I’m just a private citizen unaffiliated with Mr. Johnson,” he said. “But I’ve talked with many who believe he can deliver the leadership America needs.”

Is The Rock actually qualified to make a presidential run? Who knows? He certainly has the golf thing down.

Ronda Rousey says Travis Browne tracked down ‘punks’ who robbed her

Travis Browne

Ronda Rousey returned to her Venice Beach home one day back in January to find that thousands of dollars in possessions had been stolen, but fortunately the thieves were tracked down almost immediately.

The former UFC champion can thank her fiance for that.

In an appearance on “Live with Kelly and Ryan” Wednesday, Rousey listed some of the things that were stolen when her house was burglarized.

“Someone had been squatting in my house for like three days, sleeping in my bed,” she explained. “They stole my Olympic rings, stole my guns, all my precious jewelry, every headphone in the house, my credit cards.”

Fortunately, Rousey says the security cameras at her home allowed the perps to be quickly identified. Travis Browne, a fellow UFC fighter who is engaged to Rousey, confronted them.

“We have security cameras, so we looked back at them and saw that there were a bunch of kids with skateboards. There’s a famous skate park right across the street because we’re in Venice,” she said. “My man’s 6-foot-7, 260 and he B-lines it straight to the skateboard park and finds the guys right away. He’s smart enough to not (smacking motion) in the middle of the park. We’d get sued pretty hard. He found the police right then and they caught them. … What little punks.”

Remember what Browne wrote on Twitter several months ago when an MMA fighter mocked Rousey? This was kind of like that, only the stakes were much higher.

Rousey did not say whether all of her belongings were returned, but she probably got a lot of them back if the culprits were caught that quickly. The perks of a good relationship, right?

WWE comments on LaMelo Ball using racial slur during ‘Raw’

LaVar Ball WWE

LaVar Ball appeared on “Monday Night Raw” this week, and it was actually his 15-year-old son who made one of the biggest headlines.

And not the good kind.

During the Ball family’s appearance at the Staples Center, LaVar entered the ring with two of his sons, Los Angeles Lakers first-round draft pick Lonzo and 15-year-old LaMelo. After some promoting of the Big Baller Brand and some back and forth with WWE heel The Miz, LaVar challenged Miz to a fight and ripped his shirt off (video here). That’s when LaMelo really appeared to get into the storyline.

LaMelo, who had a microphone in his hand, urged his dad to “beat that n—- a–” while he and Lonzo laughed hysterically.

WWE told Houston Mitchell of the Los Angeles Times that LaMelo’s comments were not part of the script.

“The inappropriate language used by a guest during the ‘Miz TV’ segment was not scripted nor reflects WWE’s values,” the organization said.

LaMelo is just 15, so he obviously has a lot to learn. He is just starting to see what life is like in the public spotlight, and some recent social media activity showed how it can’t be all that easy.