The Miami Heat can safely waive Chris Bosh at any time now, as his salary will be excluded from their cap number now that there’s no way he could play 25 or more regular season games for another team this season. So what’s the holdup?
According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Heat are in no rush to release Bosh because there are no players currently available that they want badly enough to free up a roster spot. In addition, Miami apparently has not given up hope that some team could decide to trade for Bosh.
More importantly, Miami want to keep alive the not-very-likely possibility of being able to trade Bosh (after the season) to a team that might want to trade something Miami wants or a team that believes he could play or (as was the case before last month’s trade deadline) a team that needed to get to the cap floor. There were preliminary trade inquiries earlier this season.
There has been no indication that a doctor would even clear Bosh to play, as his repeated blood clots caused him to fail his preseason physical with the Heat and he has not appeared in a game since. If Bosh plays in 25 games in any remaining season during the term of his deal with Miami, the Heat would have to pay him his full contract amount. They’re already in the clear for this season, but they still owe him about $52 million over the next two years.
As Jackson notes, any team that trades for Bosh would not be eligible to have his salary removed from their salary cap regardless of what happens with his health, so that makes acquiring the 33-year-old even more risky. At least one team was said to have interest in Bosh earlier this season, but the reality is his condition could keep him from ever playing again.
H/T Pro Basketball Talk
Chris Bosh will be visible to NBA fans over the next month, but it won’t be for playing in games.
TNT announced on Thursday that Bosh will serve as an analyst for them:
According to the Sun-Sentinel, Bosh will serve as an analyst as part of TNT’s “Players Only” group on the next five Monday nights.
He will join Isiah Thomas, Chris Webber and Baron Davis on that team.
Bosh has not played this season after failing his preseason physical with the Miami Heat. He and the team were in a heated dispute over his ability to play despite his blood clots. The Heat are hoping to have his contract removed as a salary cap hit against them because of his medical condition. If Bosh plays in 25 games in any remaining season during the term of his deal with Miami, the Heat would have to pay him his full contract amount. Thanks to the TNT deal, the Heat are in the clear for one year and will hope Bosh does not play 25 games in either of his two remaining seasons. Bosh is owed around $52 million for the next two seasons.
Chris Bosh has not ruled out continuing his professional basketball career despite his blood clotting condition, and the thought of playing with two of his former teammates could inspire him to listen out for the right opportunity.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that Bosh is not working toward a comeback this season, though he has not made a final decision yet about playing next season. If he does end up playing, Jackson was told “the idea of playing again with Dwyane Wade or LeBron James appeals to him.”
Bosh, of course, won two championships with Wade and James when the three were all with the Miami Heat. Wade has since moved on to Chicago, and LeBron returned home to Cleveland. A report from ESPN last week claimed the Bulls are keeping an eye on Bosh and would be interested in signing him if and when the Heat waive the 32-year-old.
The biggest question for Bosh is whether any team will clear him medically. He has now suffered blood clots multiple times and is on blood-thinning medication, though he was previously working with the NBA Players Union on a possible solution. However, Jackson was told by a source that Bosh has not contacted the union in recent months to seek assistance and has actually ignored some phone calls from union representatives.
With the way he was talking recently, it sounds like Bosh is coming to the realization that his playing career could be over. The Heat are going to have to pay Bosh no matter what, but they can exclude his contract from their salary cap situation if a doctor agreed upon by the NBA and the NBA Players Union deems it unsafe for Bosh to play with his condition.
While the thought of Bosh coming back to boost the championship hopes of the Cavs is an enticing one, it is very much a long shot.
H/T Pro Basketball Talk
Chris Bosh may never play in the NBA again due to his recurring blood clotting condition, but at least one NBA team is interested in hiring him if and when he does hit the free agent market.
Marc Stein of ESPN is reporting that the Chicago Bulls are “already plotting a run and will be at the front of the line” to try to sign Bosh when he inevitably parts ways with the Miami Heat. Stein notes that any roster move for the Heat likely won’t come until after March 1, which would ensure Bosh could not participate in the playoffs for another team.
The Heat are going to have to pay Bosh no matter what, but they can exclude his contract from their salary cap situation if a doctor agreed upon by the NBA and NBA Players Union determines Bosh should not play with his condition. Doctors have already said it would be unsafe for Bosh to play basketball while taking blood thinners, as it would make the 32-year-old susceptible to serious injuries.
Judging by what he said recently, it sounds like Bosh is already starting to accept that his basketball career is over. But if he is cleared to play, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a team that is close to being a contender bring him in.
Is Chris Bosh as committed to an NBA return as he once was?
Speaking at the CES gadget show in Las Vegas, Bosh said that he has been taking time to himself, following his passions, and figuring out where he wants to go next as he sits out, not yet cleared to return to the NBA due to blood clot issues.
“For me, I kind of just follow my passions and follow what I love to do and use my free time to kind of answer those questions and go through my bad moods and maybe a little light case of depression,” Bosh said Thursday, via Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press. “Really, to search for what I’m looking for. And I’ve come to some interesting conclusions. It’s all about following my heart and what made me happy.”
Bosh admitted that he has a ways to go before he figures things out, and was rather vague about what the future holds for him.
“I’m still learning more about myself and my situation, and really off the court how to function there because I’m kind of getting the taste of retirement now,” Bosh said. “Just trying to navigate those waters because it gets a little complicated sometimes. … Hoping one day that the stars align and I figure some things out and things kind of just go my way and I’ll be able to do what I want to do. I don’t know what that is yet.”
Bosh has been pretty steadfast about wanting to return, but perhaps he’s finding the time off more agreeable than he expected.
Chris Bosh still wants to return to the NBA, but it sounds like it won’t be this year.
According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Bosh, who still wants to make a comeback, is more likely to do so next season than this.
There is some importance to the timing of this for the Miami Heat, who still have Bosh under contract. If the team begins the process of removing Bosh from the cap in February, it could backfire, as they would once again be responsible for it if he plays 25 games elsewhere this year. If Bosh is not going to do that, it would make sense for them to begin that cap removal process as early as possible.
It may be that the Heat wait until March to get rid of Bosh. Then he’d be free to find a new employer without the Heat having to fear the cap hit. That said, there’s no guarantee he’ll succeed, as he would have to be medically cleared to play again.
The Miami Heat are likely going to release Chris Bosh at some point in the coming months, and Bosh has said he is not retiring over the blood clot issues he has dealt with the past two years. That means he eventually expects to sign with another team, but is it possible we don’t see the 11-time NBA All-Star on the court at all this upcoming season?
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that Bosh may be looking ahead to the 2017-2018 season if he can find a team to clear him medically.
(ESPN’s Zach) Lowe wrote he expects another team to sign Bosh at the minimum, but we hear Bosh – who wants to play again – isn’t necessarily planning to play this season.
At the moment, an attempted comeback next season is considered more likely (with another team, if he can find one to clear him medically), though it’s impossible for Bosh or anyone to know how soon he can play.
Bosh is making no attempt, at this time, to force the issue and make the Heat release him.
As we shared with you previously, the NBA Players Association is keeping its eye on Bosh’s situation with the Heat. There has been speculation that Miami could wait until after March to release Bosh, and you can read why the team would want to do that here.
Bosh is facing an uphill battle no matter what he decides to do, as it is unclear if any doctor would clear him to play as long as he remains on blood thinners.
H/T Pro Basketball Talk
With Chris Bosh’s standoff with the Miami Heat showing no sign of being resolved, the NBPA is reportedly watching things closely.
According to Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel, the players’ association is “examining the situation” with the awareness that Bosh is still sorting through medical and privacy concerns.
The current priority for the union is a new collective bargaining agreement, but the organization will reportedly take a more proactive stance on Bosh if it becomes evident that he can resume his NBA career.
For now, it looks like Bosh will be stuck with Miami for a while. It’s unclear what the next move is on account of both parties, but it’s no surprise that the union is watching carefully.
The situation between Chris Bosh and the Miami Heat continues to be a messy one.
The Heat signed Bosh to a four-year, $88 million max deal in 2014. After he signed, Bosh ended up having blood clots that limited him for two seasons in a row. Now the Heat have said they will not clear him medically and his career with them is over, but Bosh wants to continue playing in the NBA. And that puts the sides in a tricky situation.
ESPN’s Zach Lowe says all the talk is that the Heat will wait until after March before releasing him.
The benefit to doing this is twofold. One benefit is that Bosh will be ineligible for the postseason for another team. The second is that as long as Bosh does not play 25 games this season for another NBA team (should he sign with one), Bosh’s salary would not count against the Heat’s salary cap next season. Not having Bosh on the cap for next season would free up around $25 million for the Heat.
Bosh is signed through 2018-2019 and will still be paid that money regardless of whether it counts against Miami’s cap.
When the world found out that Heat forward Chris Bosh had failed his physical and would not play for Miami again, Chris Bosh found out right along with them.
In his latest video for Uninterrupted, Bosh revealed that he’d found out about his failed physical through media reports, not from the team itself.
“I didn’t see my career in Miami ending like this,” Bosh said in the video. “I didn’t get a call or a text or anything like that. I mean, it’s a business. We understand that. We always say those things. But if you say certain things to the person and you win championships and you have these moments, you don’t want to find things out through the media.”
Yikes. Well, we knew Bosh cut off communication with the team, but they seem to have done the same. These bad feelings probably run pretty deep by this point, and it remains to be seen how this divorce will be handled if Bosh tries to find somewhere else to play.