The Los Angeles Rams have made some major moves on defense this offseason, and they may not be done just yet. Like the team’s fans, newly-acquired defensive back Aqib Talib seems excited about the possibility of the Rams adding Ndamukong Suh.
Jordan Schultz of Yahoo Sports reported on Monday that Suh is scheduled to visit with the Rams. That prompted a reaction from Talib on Twitter.
— AqibTalib21 (@AqibTalib21) March 19, 2018
Suh has already reportedly had positive visits with two other teams, so he could end up with multiple contract offers. However, playing for the Rams and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips — who now has Talib and fellow cornerback Marcus Peters to work with — may be something that intrigues Suh.
The thought of Suh and Aaron Donald playing on the same defensive line should be enough to keep opposing quarterbacks up at night.
Ndamukong Suh is one of the best available free agents, and he should have at least two good teams to choose from.
Suh, who was released by the Miami Dolphins last week, had visits with the New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans. He told Yahoo Sports’ Jordan Schultz that his visits went well.
Ndamukong Suh tells me that his visits w/both the #Saints and #Titans went well. While he has yet to speak w/Drew Brees, he really enjoyed Sean Payton and DC Dennis Allen. Also realizes how much TENN has to offer as a playoff team w/a formidable D-Line. Both teams were impressive
— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 19, 2018
The Cowboys are another team that had interest in Suh, but due to their salary cap situation, they are an unlikely possibility. The Seahawks are another team that has been linked to Suh.
The 31-year-old defensive lineman played in all 16 regular season games for the sixth straight season. He had 48 total tackles and 4.5 sacks last season. In addition to the cost, the Dolphins also reportedly released Suh for locker room reasons.
Ndamukong Suh has at least two free agent visits planned and may take some time choosing his next home, according to a report.
Suh, who was released by the Miami Dolphins this week, is set to visit with the New Orleans Saints on Friday. After that, he will meet with the Tennessee Titans and then perhaps others, according to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 15, 2018
Suh is one of the best free agents left on the market. Even though he became too expensive for the Miami Dolphins to retain, there are still several positives about him. He remains a top interior defensive lineman and is reliable; he has not missed a regular season game since the 2012 season.
In addition to the Saints and Titans, Suh has been linked to the Seahawks.
The Seattle Seahawks are in the process of rebuilding much of their once-feared “Legion of Boom” defense, and they are apparently considering signing one player who would not be much younger or cheaper than the ones they have moved on from.
Ndamukong Suh, who was released by the Miami Dolphins this week, told Jordan Schultz of Yahoo Sports that he spoke with Pete Carroll on the phone and there is mutual interest in Suh signing with the Seahawks.
Ndamukong Suh tells me he had a great phone conversation with Pete Carroll last night and that there is tangible interest between both parties. The #Seahawks are very excited about Suh — who has a host of potential suitors — given how dominant and disruptive he is.
— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 15, 2018
Suh turned 31 in January, but he hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. He never missed a game in three seasons with the Dolphins, and we have already heard rumblings that their decision to release him was not strictly football related.
The Seahawks may have a vacancy to fill along their defensive front now that they have traded Michael Bennett, though their motivation for unloading Bennett seems similar to the one the Dolphins had for cutting Suh. That said, Suh is the type of hard-nosed player that has thrived in Carroll’s systems for years. If the money is right, Seattle may pull the trigger.
The Miami Dolphins are expected to release Ndamukong Suh at some point this week, but the decision apparently has nothing to do with the way the star defensive tackle has played over the past three seasons.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Dolphins are parting ways with Suh for locker room reasons more than anything else. The 31-year-old has played well for Miami and not missed a game in three years, but head coach Adam Gase feels moving on from Suh is necessary.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 12, 2018
“This is really about regaining the locker room and getting the kinds of players that Dolphins coach Adam Gase wants,” Rapoport said. “… He’s kind of trying to regain the locker room and fill it with guys who really just want to play football and nothing else. Suh was a guy they deemed had to go, and now he’s expected to go.”
Suh is one of the most physically dominant players in football, but there have been rumblings that his teammates were aggravated with his cheap shot antics. Those have been part of Suh’s game for several years, and you can understand why they might wear on players and coaches who see their team punished because of them.
There continues to be talk about the Miami Dolphins potentially releasing Ndamukong Suh.
On Wednesday, the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson published a lengthy article about the Dolphins’ offseason plans. In his article, Jackson said the Dolphins are considering releasing Suh. This is nothing new, considering the possibility of the team moving on from Suh was mentioned in October and again last month.
Suh is set to count for $26.1 million against the salary cap next season, which would be a big drain. The team may ask him to consider restructuring his contract. If not, they could release him to save money. If they released Suh and designated him a post-June 1 cut, they would save $17 million under the cap.
Suh, 31, had 48 tackles and 4.5 sacks last season. He has remained a productive player since signing a massive free agent deal with the Dolphins three years ago.
Ndamukong Suh still has three years left on the six-year deal he signed with the Miami Dolphins in 2015. Is the team finally ready to move on from him?
CBS Sports Jason La Canfora wrote the following in a column published Wednesday about teams facing big offseasons:
Confidants of owner Stephen Ross told me during the season that the owner was ready to move on from defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, set to count a staggering $26 million against the cap.
As La Canfora said, Suh is making just about $17 million in base salary for 2018 and counts for $26.1 million against the cap, per Spotrac. If they are really desperate to get rid of him, they could designate him a post June 1 cut.
Suh is still a valuable player, so it’s possible Ross’ feelings will have either changed or he could be talked out of wanting to get rid of Suh. Either way, his status is something to watch.