Carlos Beltran says Astros stole signs in 2017, but only from second base
One member of the Houston Astros’ 2017 championship team is responding to the allegations that the team illegally stole signs that year.
On Tuesday, New York mets manager Carlos Beltran reacted to the claims made by ex-Houston teammate Mike Fiers, among other unnamed players on that team, that a video camera in the Minute Maid Park outfield was used by the Astros as part of an illegal sign-stealing operation that year.
“I’m not aware of that camera,” he said, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post. “We were studying the opposite team every day … “We took a lot of pride studying pitchers [on] the computer. That is the only technology that I use and understand. It was fun seeing guys get to the ballpark to look for little details.”
The former nine-time All-Star also acknowledged that the Astros did indeed steal signs but only from second base.
“The game of baseball for years, guys have given location and if the catchers get lazy and the pitcher doesn’t cover the signs from second base [then] of course players are going to take advantage,” he added. “I don’t call that cheating. I call that using small details to take advantage. I think baseball is doing a great job adding new technology to make sure the game is even for both teams. It’s easy to blame someone when they win.”
Beltran, who was hired by the Mets earlier this month, was only with the Astros for that 2017 season, not counting his prior stint with them back in 2004. The team won the World Series that year, defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers in seven games, and marking Beltran’s only career championship.
Houston has already launched an investigation into the allegations, and we may be hearing from several other members of that 2017 team before long.