pixel 1
header
Thursday, June 27, 2019

David Ortiz ‘making good progress,’ able to sit up and take steps

David Ortiz

David Ortiz remains in an intensive care unit as he recovers from a gunshot, but the updates about the former Boston Red Sox slugger continue to be all positive.

Ortiz’s wife Tiffany released another statement on Wednesday, and she said Big Papi is “making good progress toward recovery” at Mass General Hospital. She also said the 43-year-old was able to sit up and take some steps on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Ortiz was shot in the back in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night, and he sustained injuries to his intestines and liver after the bullet entered through his right lower back and exited through his stomach. He underwent extensive surgery in the Dominican Republic before being transported to Boston, where doctors performed more surgery and declared him to be in stable condition. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Police have not yet established a clear motive, but a video showed a man walk up to Ortiz and shoot him while Ortiz was enjoying a night at a bar in his hometown of Santo Domingo. Two arrests have been made in the case so far.



Follow Larry Brown Sports on Twitter | Like us on Facebook for latest news

Read more LBS stories:

Comments

comments powered by Disqus