Report: Brock Lesnar to retire from MMA
Brock Lesnar’s heavily anticipated return to the UFC looks like it will not be happening.
ESPN’s Ariel Helwani and Brett Okamoto reported on Tuesday that an often-teased Lesnar return to the octagon will not be taking place. Okamoto even shared a quote from Dana White, who told him Lesnar is retiring from MMA.
Dana White: “Brock Lesnar told me he’s done. He’s retiring.”
UFC pivoting interest in Cormier’s next fight to Stipe Miocic rematch. Story coming via myself and @arielhelwani shortly.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) May 1, 2019
There has been talk for over a year about Lesnar returning to the UFC, with him reportedly targeting a fight against Daniel Cormier. Lesnar even hinted at an MMA return during his appearance at WrestleMania earlier this month.
The 41-year-old WWE Superstar last fought in the UFC in 2016. He won a unanimous decision over Mark Hunt, but the result was overturned due to a positive test for a banned substance. His improbable rise in the UFC included beginning his career 5-1, with victories over Shane Carwin, Frank Mir and Randy Couture. He incredibly captured the UFC heavyweight championship in only his fourth career fight and then impressively defending it twice before losing to Cain Velasquez at UFC 121 in 2010.
During his MMA career, Lesnar dealt with health issues such as diverticulitis, was suspended for a positive drug test, and retired twice. This would be his third — and potentially his last — retirement.