Brock Lesnar defeated Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 34 on Sunday night to retain the Universal Championship, which has left many wondering what that means for his expiring WWE contract. To add even more uncertainty to the situation, Lesnar reportedly got into a heated altercation with his boss after the event.
Ryan Satin of ProWreslingSheet.com reports that Lesnar and WWE CEO Vince McMahon got into a “real-life verbal altercation” following Lesnar’s match against Reigns. It’s unclear exactly what sparked the conflict, but speculation is that it may have had something to do with Lesnar going off-script.
Details are still scarce, but we’re told Lesnar was livid when he returned to the backstage gorilla position and went off on the WWE Chairman … who was not happy about it.
Sources tell us the brief, but heated incident ended with Brock throwing the Universal Title belt — some say at Vince, some say at a wall — then walking away. No word yet on what set him off.
We’re told there’s a belief that Brock may have gone off script a little bit near the end of the match, but we’ve been unable to confirm if this is true.
At one point during the match, Lesnar hit Reigns with some vicious elbows to the head. Reigns was left a bloody mess following the shots, though in typical WWE fashion it was difficult to get a feel for the authenticity, so to speak.
Based on everything we have heard recently about Lesnar continuing his MMA career, it’s unclear what his future looks like in wrestling. If he’s having issues with McMahon, that could make everyone’s decision easier.
Brock Lesnar’s current deal with the WWE is set to expire at some point after WrestleMania 34 this weekend, and there has been speculation that he is planning to venture back into the world of mixed martial arts. That has now been confirmed.
In an appearance on FOX Sports 1 on Wednesday night, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Lesnar will fight in the octagon again.
“Yeah, Brock Lesnar is coming back,” White said. “I don’t know when, but yes he is.”
White is a genius promoter who has been known to keep hype alive even when things aren’t official, but longtime MMA reporter Ariel Helwani was told a deal betweenLesnar and the UFC is in place and simply needs to be finalized.
We got the impression based on some remarks his promoter recently made that Lesnar, 40, feels he has unfinished business in the UFC. In his last fight back in July 2016, Lesnar dominated Mark Hunt but had the win vacated over multiple failed drug tests. He was suspended for a year but then retired in February 2017, so Lesnar would have to serve however much time is remaining on his suspension before he could fight in the UFC again.
Brock Lesnar is now 40 and has not fought in the UFC in nearly two years, but the WWE superstar’s promoter says Lesnar has not yet closed the book on his mixed martial arts career.
In a brief chat with TMZ this week, Paul Heyman was asked if there is any truth to the rumors that Lesnar could soon make a UFC return.
“If Brock Lesnar wants to fight in UFC, Brock Lesnar will fight in UFC,” Heyman said. “If Brock Lesnar wants to fight in WWE, he will fight in WWE. … Brock Lesnar does what Brock Lesnar wants to do.”
When asked if fighting again after two years off (or possibly more) would be a problem, Heyman said he actually feels it would be an advantage for Lesnar.
“The time away actually makes him better because his body gets a chance to heal,” he said. “The problem with these UFC fighters, and they’re all fantastic athletes, is that they wear their bodies down in these training camps. All of these guys that are cutting weight are just destroying their own bodies. Brock Lesnar is probably the healthiest fighter to enter UFC if he decides to do that.”
If you remember, Heyman said last year that Lesnar has never had a UFC fight when he was at his peak physical condition because of his battles with diverticulitis.
Lesnar dominated Mark Hunt at UFC 200 in July 2016, but the win was later vacated because he failed multiple drug tests. It’s unclear if he has even re-entered the USADA testing pool, which is something he would have to do before his suspension could be lifted.
Brock Lesnar retained his WWE Universal championship at Summer Slam on Sunday after quite a bit of drama.
Lesnar was slammed into the announcers’ table multiple times by Braun Strowman during a 4-way match also involving Roman Reigns and Samoa Joa. Lesnar was eventually carted out on a stretcher in a dramatic moment for the fans.
Despite being taken away, Brock was able to return to the Fatal 4-way match. He ended up pinning Reigns to win it all in a match full of entertainment and intrigue.
Perhaps this was just the warmup before Brock takes on Jon Jones in the octagon.
Jon Jones reclaimed the UFC light heavyweight title Saturday night by knocking out Daniel Cormier in the third round, and he wasted no time trying to lay the groundwork for his next fight. Jones wants it to be a big one. How big? Brock Lesnar big.
Following his win over Cormier at UFC 214, Jones turned his attention toward Lesnar.
“Brock Lesnar, if you want to know what it feels like to get your ass kicked by a guy that weighs 40 pounds less than you, come meet me in the octagon,” Jones said, via Simon Samano of MMAFighting.com.
Lesnar, who was eligible to have his suspension lifted earlier this month, issued a warning to Jones in response.
“Be careful what you wish for, young man,” the WWE star told The Associated Press.
While speaking with reporters later, Jones said he is serious about wanting to fight Lesnar.
“We’re serious about it, and it would be great for the MMA world,” he said. “It would bring more of the general public to mixed martial arts, and that’s what we need. We need to expand our sport, so why not be the guy to take part in that?”
Since Lesnar retired from the UFC earlier in the year, he would still have to serve six more months of his suspension before being reinstated. There were some recent reports indicating he had put the wheels in motion to resume his MMA career, but the latest doesn’t sound promising.
Jones fought at 205 pounds against Cormier, which is the very top of the light heavyweight division. He’d have no problem getting past the 206-pound minimum to fight in the heavyweight division, though Lesnar would still have a serious size advantage.
While the fight would be one of the most anticipated in UFC history, there are probably too many obstacles to overcome. But if Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have taught us anything, it’s to never say never.
Despite recent reports indicating otherwise, Brock Lesnar has not begun the process of making himself eligible for a UFC return.
Lesnar was suspended one year retroactive to July 15, 2016 after he failed multiple drug tests for his fight with Mark Hunt at UFC 200. The heavyweight told the UFC he was retiring back in February, but some rumors popped up earlier in the week about Lesnar re-entering the drug testing pool to prepare for a UFC comeback.
UFC vice president of athlete health and performance Jeff Novitzky, who oversees the drug testing program, said there is no truth to that.
“(Lesnar) is not currently enrolled in the USADA testing pool, nor has there been any inquiry on his part to do so,” Novitzky said, via John Morgan of MMAFighting.com.
Lesnar’s fight against Hunt last year came after a five-year absence from MMA competition. He defeated Hunt but had the decision overturned after he tested positive for PEDs twice.
Lesnar is currently the WWE’s Universal Champion, and there were some rumors claiming he is going to lose that belt at “SummerSlam” next month to position himself for a UFC return. Lesnar would need to make himself available for drug testing for six months before being eligible to return to the UFC, so another comeback seems unlikely if he has not re-entered the program.
We already know what one fellow heavyweight thinks of Lesnar’s chances to make a UFC return. The 40-year-old’s MMA career may finally be over.
Brock Lesnar is an absolute physical monster. At a lean 6’3″, 286, Lesnar has competed in professional wrestling, football, and MMA. Joe Rogan has posited that Lesnar, if he had started MMA earlier in life, could have been the best heavyweight in UFC history.
After being fined and suspended from the UFC for one year, Lesnar’s return may be imminent. Though he reportedly told the UFC he was retiring earlier this year, rumor has it he may return for another fight by the end of the year.
Lesnar reportedly met with Paul Heyman, his manager, and UFC higher-ups in Las Vegas during International Fight Week.
The speculation is that Lesnar would return for the UFC’s visit to Madison Square Garden in New York City on November 4. It’s a major venue, and Lesnar is a huge star; it would make sense.
Talk MMA stated multiple sources have said Lesnar is back in the USADA testing pool.
Wrestling Observer confirmed Lesnar is back in the testing pool but stated he could not fight until mid-December, per the timing of his suspension.
So, could this really happen? Ariel Helwani says a deal is “not remotely close.” So don’t get your hopes up yet.
When you look at Brock Lesnar, it’s hard to imagine the heavyweight has ever lost a fight in the UFC. Lesnar always appears to be in top physical condition, but his manager insists that is rarely the case. For Lesnar’s UFC bouts, that has apparently never been the case.
In a recent appearance on the Fight Society Podcast, Paul Heyman spoke about Lesnar’s battles with diverticulitis over the past several years.
“I would suggest that Brock is really now in his physical prime because he was robbed of reaching his full potential as an athlete in his 20s and early-30ss by diverticulitis,” Heyman said, via Damon Martin of FOX Sports. “If you look back at his career, by the time he was in the NCAA Division I wrestling championships, he was already suffering from diverticulitis.”
We first learned about Lesnar’s struggles with the intestinal condition when he pulled out of his scheduled fight against Junior dos Santos in 2011, but diverticulitis was also the reason he had to bail on a fight in 2009. According to Heyman, the condition affected Lesnar long before that.
“So you never saw him at his full potential in college,” he continued. “You never saw him at his full potential in his first run in WWE. He went into the Minnesota Vikings camp not only with the diverticulitis inside of his system but a broken jaw and a fractured pelvis, which he covered in the book that we wrote together and then you never saw him, not once did you see him in UFC at his absolute physical peak.”
Lesnar, now 39, dominated Mark Hunt at UFC 200 last July only to have the win vacated because of multiple failed drug tests. He was suspended a year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission as a result, but Heyman said the recent rumors about Lesnar’s UFC career are not necessarily true.
While winning a UFC fight after his 40th birthday would be quite an accomplishment for Lesnar, the odds are still against it happening.
Glove tap to Bloody Elbow
Is Brock Lesnar done fighting in the octagon?
Reports on Tuesday said that Lesnar informed the UFC that he is retiring from MMA. MMA Fighting first reported the news, and other outlets later confirmed it.
Lesnar, 38, fought Mark Hunt in a one-off fight last year after nearly a five-year absence from competition. He won the fight but it was overturned into a no-contest after Lesnar tested positive for PEDs twice.
Lesnar was fined and suspended a year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission as a result of his positive tests.
These reports come as no surprise given that we shared last week that Lesnar’s name had been removed from the UFC’s fighter roster online.
Lesnar remains a huge attraction and is getting prepared for his match against Goldberg at WrestleMania in April. Given his popularity and draw as a fighter, don’t be surprised if Lesnar fights at some point in the future.
Brock Lesnar was reportedly removed from the UFC’s active roster as part of a roster purge on Friday.
A Twitter account called UFC Fighters Info runs a webscript that produces notifications when UFC.com deletes fighters from its roster. Over 40 fighters were marked as deleted Friday. These can be fighters whose contract with the UFC expired, or ones who retired or are no longer competing for the organization for another reason.
The biggest name included in the roster purge is Lesnar, who was one of the company’s biggest stars.
Lesnar, 39, first joined the UFC in 2008 and fought Frank Mir, losing via first-round submission. He bounced back and won two in a row, including a second-round TKO of Randy Couture to become the UFC heavyweight champion. Lesnar successfully defended his title twice in a row before losing consecutive fights, leading him to step away from MMA.
After a four and a half year absence from MMA, Lesnar made a surprising return to the octagon in July to face Mark Hunt. Lesnar did not have to go through all the drug testing that is typical for a fighter to get cleared to re-join the UFC. He ended up testing positive for PEDs before and on the day of the fight.
Lesnar is currently serving a one-year suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission stemming from his positive drug tests. The suspension is set to end in July.
In addition to Lesnar, Tim Kennedy is another notable fighter who was removed from the roster. Kennedy announced his retirement last month.
H/T Bloody Elbow