Report: Dodgers exaggerated MLB’s supposed gag order over Astros scandal
New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and manager Aaron Boone spoke about the Houston Astros’ sign-stealing scandal on Thursday, which seemingly went against how Major League Baseball told clubs to handle the situation. As it turns out, however, MLB did not give teams any specific orders.
The Los Angeles Dodgers lost to Houston in the 2017 World Series, and the findings MLB released earlier this month stated that the Astros stole signs electronically during the regular season and postseason in 2017. While they are undoubtedly furious, the Dodgers have refused to comment on the situation as a team, noting that they were following orders from the league.
Does that mean Cashman and Boone ignored MLB? No. According to Ken Rosenthal, the league only “recommended” that teams not comment publicly on the punishment handed down to the Astros.
#Yankees’ Cashman and Boone spoke yesterday on #Astros. https://t.co/74QmyvPh1f MLB did not ask teams to refrain from comment on Astros, as #Dodgers said in statement after penalties were announced. League merely offered recommendation. Issued no gag order, no threat of fines.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 24, 2020
The Yankees were also defeated by the Astros in the 2017 postseason, and CC Sabathia openly said he feels cheated. Both Cashman and Boone both said Thursday that they hope Houston being caught will be a big step toward cleaning up illegal sign-stealing.
While the Dodgers have chosen to abide by MLB’s recommendation, some of their players have not remained quiet about the topic. We expect that theme to continue with spring training just around the corner.
UPDATE: Rosenthal later corrected his report, stating that MLB asked the Dodgers not to comment on the Astros findings but recommended to other teams that they refrain from discussing it.