Gio Gonzalez says offer from Yankees was only one he received
Gio Gonzalez made a somewhat surprising decision to sign a minor league contract with the New York Yankees earlier this week, but the left-hander really didn’t have another option. As in, there were no other offers.
Gonzalez told reporters on Wednesday that the only offer he received this offseason came from the Yankees.
Gio Gonzalez said the #Yankees deal was the only offer he got.
— Brendan Kuty (@BrendanKutyNJ) March 20, 2019
That explains why Gonzalez waited until there was less than two weeks until Opening Day to sign with a team. The original belief was that the 33-year-old did not receive any offers that were to his liking, but apparently he received no offers at all.
Gonzalez went 10-11 with a 4.21 ERA and 1.44 WHIP last season, though he seemed revitalized by a late-season trade from the Washington Nationals to Milwaukee. He posted a 2.13 ERA in five starts with the Brewers to close out the year. Gonzalez’s deal with the Yankees includes an opt out on April 20, but he may find a spot on the major league roster if he can get up to speed quickly, as Luis Severino is recovering from an injury.