
Always one to speak his mind, Sacramento Kings forward Matt Barnes is now letting the New Orleans Pelicans have a piece of it.
After the hearing the news of the Pelicans’ plans to waive swingman Lance Stephenson after Stephenson suffered a groin injury, Barnes went on a slightly NSFW rant on Instagram Sunday calling New Orleans out for the move.

Stephenson’s groin injury will require surgery and keep him sidelined indefinitely, prompting New Orleans to decide to release him after he made just six appearances for them.
Meanwhile, Barnes, who was briefly teammates with Stephenson on the Memphis Grizzlies last year, does raise several good points about the cutthroat nature of the business of basketball and how this is a prime example of why players always have to look out for their own self-interest.
In reality though, the Pelicans do appear to at least have a vested interest in helping Stephenson get healthy. ESPN’s Marc Stein reported on Monday (several hours AFTER Barnes’ rant) that New Orleans will participate fully in Stephenson’s rehab and are open to bringing him back once he’s healed. The Pelicans are said to never have wanted to waive Stephenson in the first place but were put in a tough position with all their other injuries as well as Jrue Holiday’s excused absence from the team.
The Pelicans, sources say, will participate fully in Lance Stephenson's injury rehab and told him they're open to re-signing him once healed
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) November 7, 2016
New Orleans didn't want to waive Lance, sources said, but saw no alternative with 11 healthy players and no sure path to an injury exception
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) November 7, 2016
Since Jrue Holiday is away from the team for personal reasons, not outright injury, New Orleans' case for a hardship waiver is not automatic
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) November 7, 2016
Nevertheless, Barnes’ greater argument still remains as he has definitely experienced firsthand the brutal reality of life in the NBA.
Image via Matt Barnes on Instagram